Telê Santana genius or failure ? Brazil 1980 -1986

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by giles varley, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    The goals on youtube.

carlito86, Pipiolo and giles varley repped this.
  2. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Pipiolo, I´ ve got one off topic question, Why Houseman, Ortiz, Villa and Luque weren´t in the WC 1982 squad? I think Villa and Luque were old and I heard Houseman had some problems with alcoholism and Ortiz was seriously ill. But I don´t know the details.

3. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011

That doesnt look much like a foul on Maradona's goal...
    Socrates goal happened several seconds after the ref called off the action (though its weird why he did that anyways), with the Argentine defender best positioned to obstacle Socrates already inactive when Socrates found the ball.
    Fillol had a fantastic game it seems, but a poor one from the Argentine defense. Maradona scored his goal and produced a couple of nice plays starting at 2.22 that sadly did not turn into goal (one on the post and one horrible finish by Diaz).

giles varley and Pipiolo repped this.
  4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like you said, Houseman was undisciplined and by 1982 has really wasted his career after winning the WC four years earlier, he was not on the radar anymore as a NT player.

Luque would have been 33 and there were better options at forward. Villa was still young (29 or so) and arguably should have been selected, although I believe he was not starting regularly for Tottenham so that may have played a part.

Lockeroom and giles varley repped this.
  5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it wasnt a foul by maradona ..he just out muscled Batista... i wasnt suggesting it was a foul..
    before the mundialito it is true that argentinian players had spoken badly about brazilian football ...why do you think that was ? ..

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In regards to Ortiz, I don't think he was simply good enough to be a regular member of the NT for any extended time frame.

@Lockeroom

Lockeroom repped this.
  7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yup, no foul. Funny how Maradona seemed to always floor Batista when they met :p.

Seems to me like Socrates' goal should have counted, I see two defenders in front of him on that play. And Maradona's passing, even at 20 years old, shows an extraordinary vision.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jealousy :D

9. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wanted you to say that about socrates' goal pip!! If i had said it then you and once might have accused me of brazilian bias !!

Ditto about maradona ..

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Well, the whole controversy of the Argentina-Peru game in 1978 affected Brazil directly and I think they were loud in their protesting. Pehaps its has to do with that a bit, perhaps its something else. Just guessing here.

giles varley repped this.
  11. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    I agree the whole action should have never been stopped alright. And if it hadnt, perhaps Socrates' goal could have been prevented.

12. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BRAZIL 4 WEST GERMANY 1
    Mundialito, 07/01/1981
    Centanario stadium , Montevideo

... Three days after the draw with Argentina Brazil played their second game of the mundialito against West Germany.. Brazil would have to win this game and better the 2 - 1 victory that Argentina had over the Germans in order to reach the final..
    Tele Santana stated before the game that a victory would be nice but he was looking more at the performance of his team and how well his players were working together...

Santana selected this team:

BRAZIL: Joao Leite, Edevaldo, Oscar, Luisinho, Junior, Batista, Cerezo, Tita, Isidoro, Ze Sergio , Socrates.
    Subs used: Getulio, Serginho..

.. Because of the injury suffered by first choice goalkeeper Carlos against Argentina, Santana was allowed to call up another keeper to his squad. To many people it was a surprise that he called on Waldir Peres ...
    Former Brazil coach and famous journalist Joao Saldanha wrote in his collumn for the jornal do brasil -
    " we are facing a glaring injustice..how can Santana continue to overlook our best keeper Leao and decide to select Peres ? This is a crime against our nation "...

Santana responded to the questions of saldanha and many others in the media with a strange statement that didnt really make any sense or shed light on his decision - " i will only select Leao to be number one, never as a reserve "...

Leao, understandably bitter stated sarcastically in an interview - " If in Santana's opinion Carlos is number one, Leite is number two, Peres is number 3 and Sergio is number four, then i must be fifth ! "...

... For the west Germany game Santana played Cerezo, Batista and Tita in midfield using Ze Sergio and Isidoro on the flanks as wingers/ wide midfielders with Socrates again used as the centre forward.. many journalists questioned Santana's choice of team.. many felt that socrates was better in the midfield and found it strange that Nunes the flamengo centre forward had been overlooked..
    Serginho was named as a substitute in this game after he recovered from his injury..
    The first half was pretty even with brazil showing some nice passing but they didnt play with the same intensity as they did against argentina.. it remained 0 - 0 at half time...
    In the second half Brazil started to play some great football. Depite falling behind after 54 minutes to an Allofs goal, brazil were dominating and on 57 minutes Junior curled in a nice free kick to equalize. On 60 minutes Cerezo got on to the end of a low cross by Edevaldo and finished well to make it 2 - 1 ...
    Serginho who had come on for Tita scored a simple tap in to make it 3 - 1 after Socrates rounded west german keeper schumacher and pulled the ball back across the goal..
    In the 82nd minute Ze Sergio added a fourth after good work from Serginho. Ze Sergio took the ball wide of Schumacher and rolled the ball in from a tight angle..

.. Brazil had played well and displayed some very good football. The 4 - 1 win meant that they and not argentina would play the hosts Uruguay in the final..
    Santana's philosophy was starting to take shape and the media was full of praise for him and his team in the aftermath of the game..

Gregoriak, Pipiolo and Once repped this.
  13. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TELE SANTANA INTERVIEW
    10/01/1981 ....

... Everybody wants to interview Tele Santana. Yesterday once again he was surrounded by journalists on the training pitch of Los Amoros in Montevideo as his players kicked a ball around in the background...
    Tele does not like questions and it is clear that he would prefer not to do interviews but as selecao coach it is his obligation..
    Satisfied with his teams performances against Argentina and West Germany , Santana was faced with questions regarding Serginho and the centre forward position. Santana refused to talk on other forwards he may have selected ..
    Santana said -
    " i respect everyone's opinion but i am asking you to respect mine. You all know as i do that i can not select Reinaldo at this time. You all know that i have played Socrates at centre forward. I want to look at all the options i have and Serginho is one of them..Please understand that i have thought carefully about selecting Serginho in the squad. I put great thought into every player i select. I think that Serginho can play an important role in my squad. I thought he did really well when he came on against West Germany. He scored and played his part in the fourth goal as well. There is a rapport between serginho and Ze sergio. They have played together at Sao Paulo for a long time.. As i have said before i can not please everyone with my selection. Sure there are other equally talented players outside of the team but i have to make decisions. I trust my own judgement. Nobody can deny we have played well against two strong opponents - Argentina and West Germany. Nobody can say that the team is not improving. "
    " i have not yet decided what team i will select to play against Uruguay, i will only name the team on the day of the match - not because i want to keep it as a secret but because i am waiting on a few positions. I do not know if Edevaldo will have the conditions to play because of the bruises he suffered against West Germany. I do not know if i will play socrates in midfield and Serginho up front. But it will be my decision and i will make it from what i see in training and what i feel is right for the team. "

... Santana talks about Argentina -

" when i was a player and the opponent was announcing victory before a ball was kicked i confess it made me angry and gave me extra motivation to play well and win..the provocative statements from the argentines only served to help us..i think we played better, they can be thankful to the great Fillol that we didnt score more. Before the game they were saying that they were the worlds best but after the game they were relieved to get a draw. But they will not admit this. It is a question of humility "
    " Argentina created an unpleasant atmosphere before the game. They should have just let their football talk for them. Menotti is a great coach and i respect argentinian football. How can you not appreciate a nation of such talent ? I have always admired their football and their players and i am not in any way trying to belittle the world champions. But they could show more dignity " ..

" Since i have been training Brazil at the Toca da Raposa there have been many problems. The team has changed many times. Zico and Reinaldo were in our plans but injury prevented it from happening. What pleases me most of all is how we have managed to overcome these problems and replace great players. Zico's injury shocked everyone but we found a way to solve his absense. "..

" I do not wish to belittle the Mundialito, of course winning the tournament would bring prestige to our football but i am more concerned with establishing a style of play and developing an understanding between players that we can hopefully take into the 1982 world cup. My mind is also on our world cup qualifiers.. victory in the mundialito would be most welcome but i am preparing for the future. I want to build a team that can compete to win the world cup and play the game the way i see it, i think by now you can see we are on the right path "

" i am very happy at this moment.. we performed well against the world champions and beat the strong Germans 4 - 1.. everything is positive. I was very pleased that Junior scored from a free kick as we had been working at set pieces in training. Zico is our free kick taker and in his absense we had to find another solution, which we did "

Vava, tele's assistant coach was also interviewed -

" Tele has many merits as a manager and is brave in many of his decisions. People questioned him for selecting the young Luisinho in defence and now journalists at the mundialito are comparing Luisinho to the great Domingos da Guia .. he believed in Edevaldo who has been a revelation at right back and he also believed in Oscar despite people claiming that he was no good after his time in north american football... Tele has been proved right again with his decision to select Isidoro as an alternative on the right side..trust me - the selecao is in capable hands " ...

( gazeta esportiva )

14. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LUISINHO : A STAR IS BORN

... 22 year old Luisinho, the defender of Atletico has managed to win over all the journalists working at the mundialito. Everybody has praised the style of football Luisinho has shown here in Uruguay. He has brought calm and security to the brazilian defence. When the opposition has threatened and brazil have been under pressure Luisinho has remained tranquil and this tranquility spreads throughout the team. Sometimes his laid back manner is almost irritating !
    Tele Santana has had to face many questions from the international media and many have asked him about the impressive young defender..
    Marcelino Peres the former vasco da gama player and now journalist wrote -
    " Brazil have a player emerging with the unique characteristics of Domingos da Guia. Domingos was the father of the great Ademir da Guia and Luisinho displays many similarities. Tall, dark and quiet he was a centreback that brought calm to his team when all others were losing their heads." ...

Tele Santana is only too happy to discuss the reasons he has selected Luisinho -
    " i felt that Luisinho would bring many joys to our team. He is safe, calm, quiet, responsible and efficient . I knew that i could trust him. This young man can be considered among the best in brazil. It gives me great pride to know that Luisinho's talent has been recognised. There were several times in the argentina game when he was faced with stopping Maradona - a player that can beat any defender- and he did so with clean and calm defending. "

...With Luisinho playing so well it has ruled out any possibility of Amaral returning to the team. Now the critics in rio de janeiro and sao paulo are unanimous in their approval of the player. Luisinho like his Atletico team mate Eder has been praised throughout brazil as one of the revelations of the 1980 brasileiro. But Luisinho has remained as humble as ever -

" what more could i want ? " said Luisinho " i am young, i am playing well and i am in the brazilian national team and now i want to remain here. "

Watching Luisinho in training and in matches - he rarely goes in to a tackle with full force and rarely commits a foul. He wins the ball cleanly and is extremely composed in possession..

" i never saw Domingos da Guia play but from what people are saying i doubt i will ever be as good as him. However i am happy to be compared to a player who is remembered so fondly " ...

( 10/01/1981 )

Gregoriak and Once repped this.
  15. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I don't think we can say with certainty Serginho would have been in the squad in 1978

16. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I have seen this game and Edinho's goal was brilliant

giles varley repped this.
  17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    He also got sent off v Colombia in a 6-0 win in March 1977

Lockeroom, giles varley and Pipiolo repped this.
  18. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Definitely not.. but he was a contender to be in the squad and serginho said the physicality of the 1978 world cup brazil team would have suited his style better than the skilful approach of the '82 team..

19. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I personally would not like to see him wear a Brazil shirt even if it was on the beach. Are you on Twitter?

Lockeroom repped this.
  20. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    .. its a shame that Santana didnt feel the same way ! ..

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Related to this, I found this by chance.
    On February 15, 1978 Spanish sports paper Mundo Deportivo published the Brazil Ideal XI as voted by 59 Brazilian sports journalists (22 from Sao Paulo, 11 from Rio and the rest from all around as says in the article) in a poll organized by paper "O Estado de Sao Paulo":

Leao; Ze Maria, Luis Pereira, Amaral, Edinho; Toninho Cerezo; Zico, Rivelino; Reinaldo, Serginho, Dirceu.

Rivelino was the only one unanimously chosen. Leao got chosen 54 times, Toninho Cerezo 51 times, Amaral 46, Luis Pereira 41, Zico 39, Serginho 37 and Ze Maria 32 times.
    http://hemeroteca-paginas.mundodeportivo.com/EMD01/HEM/1978/02/15/MD19780215-012.pdf

giles varley and Lockeroom repped this.
  22. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep .. Serginho was surprisingly popular in brazil especially popular with the sao paulo journalists . He was popular because of the goals he scored in league football not because of his technical abilities. Maybe he would have played better under Coutinho in a physical Brazil team where he was allowed to use his aggressive style..

Once repped this.
  23. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    MENOTTI SUGGESTS WEST GERMANY
    GAVE THE GAME TO BRAZIL....

A Brazil- Uruguay final was not in the forecast for the mundialito. Of the 500 journalists who arrived in montevideo for the tournament only 62 predicted this final before the competition began.
    Menotti the argentina coach had words to say about the germans and was critical of their performance against Brazil.
    Although West German coach Jupp Derwall laughed off the accusations and admitted his team just couldnt cope with the football brazil produced in the second half , Menotti saw it differently...
    " i do not know if Germany leaves the mundialito with a clear conscience " said Menotti in a press conference which strangely only invited argentine journalists . " i will do as brazil did in 1978 . I will not say that Germany handed brazil the game, but they behaved as bad professionals . Is this revenge for what happened in our 6-0 win against peru in 1978 ? - i dont know "...

In reality - west germany did not play as badly as Menotti believes. They just ran into a team that was inspired, particularly in the second half. When Socrates moved back into his prefered midfield role from centre forward brazils dominance was overwhelming. Germany could not contain the renewed vigour of the brazilians. Derwall himself stated this fact and even went on to say that many people had underestimated the brazilians because of their negativity in the last two world cups. But anybody who has followed brazilian football since Santana took charge can see that he has a cast of superbly gifted footballers to call on.
    Menotti has a short memory - Argentina were happy to come away with a draw against Brazil last week and could easily have lost that game.
    Maybe brazil have been underestimated and maybe they are the 'surprise' team of the mundialito , but only to those who haven't been watching the 'new' brazil of tele santana..

Assistant coach Vava said " it is better to be underestimated but we have great faith in our players. Working with these players began two months ago and now it is all falling into place. Tele wants a happy team and to play happy football. We want to capture the imagination of our fans and of all football fans. We want to play to our traditions in a style that all brazilians cherish. This is how we like to play " .. Vava's eyes light up as he talks of the new brazil.

The final tomorrow will be a repeat of the 1950 world cup final where uruguay shocked brazil with a 2-1 win at the maracana to deny brazil victory on home soil. Is this a chance for brazil to get revenge for that defeat ?

Vava laughs .." No we are not thinking about revenge ! We are thinking about restoring our identity and playing a great game. That is all. 1950 is a long time ago and we settled that score already during the 1970 world cup semi final ! "

Gregoriak, AD78 and Once repped this.
  24. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #249 giles varley, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    ..At this point it is worth mentioning that Tita and Ze Sergio were not in great form during the mundialito. The brazilian media were very critical of their performances.
    Tita was unhappy at being played on the right side even though that is where he played for flamengo. Tita made it clear that he wanted to play more in the middle for Brazil.
    Ze Sergio blamed his performances on being marked by two defenders because teams saw him as the major threat in the absense of Zico and Reinaldo...
    I will post the interviews with both players later in the thread...

Once and Lockeroom repped this.
  25. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ..And so to the final of the Mundialito...

BRAZIL VS URUGUAY , 10/01/1981 at the Centenario stadium,uruguay...

Tele Santana selected the same team that defeated west germany 4-1.. socrates started the game as centre forward again , despite pressure from the media and the public for him to play in his prefered midfield role. When socrates had dropped back into midfield after serginho came on against west germany, he and Brazil were more effective and dominant in midfield. But santana chose to start this game against uruguay as he did against the germans with Serginho on the bench..
    There were also calls for Eder to get a chance ahead of Ze Sergio on the left as Ze sergio had been unable to capture his best form during the mundialito.
    The criticism of the brazilian team during the mundialito was that despite the flowing passing and the 4 goals against West germany they didnt have enough fire power in the absence of zico and reinaldo and the team needed another player to take over free kick duties and provide shots from open play - Eder was the obvious choice..
    Edevaldo recovered in time to be able to play in the final..

BRAZIL: Joao Leite, Edevaldo,Oscar,Luisinho,Junior, Batista,Cerezo,Tita,Isidoro,Ze Sergio,Socrates.

subs used: Eder, Serginho..

Lockeroom and greatstriker11 repped this.