News: Teams competing for Trophies - The Other Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-technology-damage-sheffield-united-tottenham

The author in a clever, very round about way trying to make a possible argument against VAR here, when the system in itself is not the issue. I'm fine with putting it on pause for a while, not to decide whether it's being needed (that has already been established pretty clearly in recent years) but to fine tune it and make it more efficient, as is pretty much the case everywhere else it's been in use.
    It's not just the procedure that needs to be revised, but also which decisions it is being used for as well. Do not believe for instance that marginal, millimeter in length offside decisions, should be among them.
    Also, better quality referees (or even better training for them) might help remedy the situation as well. It's no secret after all that English refs, as a collective, are nowhere near the top compared to other countries in Europe alone. And that is very egregious for a league which is known to be one of the very best in the game right now.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    aka Paul Merson

Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Grabbing someone by the throat is a big deal. Agree with Rio but he seemed to be downplaying the incident too much.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #805 Ashur, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    He's downplaying it in the sense that scrap between teammates happens quite often and more often than not, they don't linger, with the matter being resolved right there and then (or shortly after) in most cases. As opposed to issues allowed to fester into something with longer lasting effects and thus more damaging potentially in the process.
    Sterling should be punished, there is no argument about that, Rio's point and one I agree wholeheartedly with, is that things of that nature need to confined in house and dealt with accordingly.

Edit: And this is just an example as to why...
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/12/joe-gomez-scratch-right-eye-raheem-sterling-clash
    There are exceptions of course, but as a rule, what happens within the confines of the team and its environment, need to stay there. Especially when the press are involved and their tendencies to sensationalize everything and make stories a bigger deal than they actually are.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Merson is a clown

so thick, like
    Most of the sky sports presenters

load of old gammon bar a couple

7. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Right, but it’s the time between frames that’s the problem. I remember reading the math after Sterling was called off earlier this year. It’s something like, at 120fps, which is what VAR uses, he could move 50mm between frames, and he was called offside by a couple mm. The problem is amplified when an attacker and defender are going in opposite directions.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it should be a clear foot myself

as in a boot

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #809 johno, Nov 12, 2019
    There's a reason he's still at Wolves. He doesn't do enough. He has moments of brilliance, but they REALLY aren't enough to justify a CM who doesn't tackle well, intercept well or create chances at a decent clip. Neves isn't a bad player, but he isn't worth anything close to what he would cost.

Here's a look at how Ruben Neves stacks up compared to.... Scott Mctominay.
    All stats per 90 mns

RN:
    Passes: 57
    Tackles: 1.8
    Interceptions: 1.25
    Key passes: .73
    Assists: 0

SM:
    Passes: 51
    Tackles: 2.5
    Interceptions: 1.38
    Key passes: .83
    Assists: .1

So. I'm not saying Neves is bad, but plenty of folks here don't think McTominay is good enough and most of us would agree that Wolves have a more settled midfield than us and even with that advantage, Neves does not stand out... FROM Scott Mctominay. He doesn't control matches, he doesn't win the ball, he doesn't create chances. Pogba has played half the minutes he has played and has created 3 times as many chances.

I hate to rag on him, because, like I say.. he's not a bad player, but people keep getting swept up by youtube or highlights. He's bang ********ing average and likely to get better but at this time, he's not needed and currently getting out played by Scott McTominay who has had far less time to develop.

We should be throwing money at Inter for Stefano Sensi.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @johno do u not think those figures are a bit skewed?

his role is in a counter attacking 352 which gets its offensive power from width and pace

imo he shows a good range of passing and technique

I don’t think he’s world class but if you put him in a 3 with a mobile b2b and a holding player I think he could be a great cm

moutinho is their main man too, he operates all over the pitch potentially taking some some responsibility from neves too

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    They are skewed. I covered this in my previous post, Neves had a whole chunk of responsibility taken from him when Moutinho was signed and was made to play much deeper. Wolves play far deeper than we do, with a much lower block and with an average possession of 46%.

I accept that his price means he's unattainable for us. And we can't really pair him with Pogba, he's not a 6 and he's not someone who should be subservient in his creative role. But this is why using statistics without context can be disastrous.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Skewed how? You could make the argument that Neves has fewer opportunities for passes, but he's lauded as a great passer who has 0 assists and fewer key passes per 90 than Scott McTominay - who is universally assessed as average with potential.

Neves has been playing 1st team football for almost 5 years now. He should be much further along his development than McTominay who is If he's deferring on the ball to Moutinho that's one thing, but as the younger partner in a 2 man midfield that is supposed to be set up to play without the ball, he should be winning the ball more than he is. With a team that has a well balanced attack and plays a stunning counter attack how has this CM with great passing range not managed more key passes than McTominay or a single assist? Even when he takes FKs and plays w/ 3 CBs and a FW who is good in the air? I mean, he's a good player, but he's not sweeping the world before him. He also doesn't have a pass % that is flattering.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He doesn't have a creative role. He has zero assists. In a counter attacking team happy to cede possession, he should have loads of key passes. If you can agree that McTominay is average and not good enough for us, in what way is someone who has underwhelming numbers compared to him, good enough? I'm not saying he needs to have 90 passes a game, but how is it that he can't out tackle someone in a team that has more of the ball than him? There is exactly one statistical area significant to CMs that (and it is peripheral) that is dribbles. He's quite good at it, but I think Scott's probably matches or bests him in terms of carries or distance carried.

Neves is a luxury player who has a lovely passing range and he's got excellent technique as well, but he's not going to dominate either side of the ball. At least w/ McTominay you can say that he will put in a shift and tackle everything moving. What do you get from Neves if you don't have the ball? A mediocre DM and a DLP who is quite good at advancing the ball but has no cutting edge?

14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #814 Naboomagnoli, Nov 12, 2019
    Again, it's judging players based on stats without bringing in the context or acknowledging gaps in the statistics.

I posted a link about Neves but it wasn't the one I was thinking of. I'll try and find the analysis I had in mind over the next couple of days but it explains his role in the Wolves system and how it restricts his G&A output.

thebigman repped this.
  15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

girrdib repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree, stats are important but style of play and system changes or differences make statistical comparisons a bit less weighted

it’s like comparing pogba at juve to when he was used in a more holding role at times at Utd

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    https://theathletic.com/1343451/201...ust-define-his-role-to-get-the-best-from-him/

It was in the Athletic.

21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Naboomagnoli repped this.
  22. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic has been pumping out some quality content this year. If I weren't a cheap ******** I'd have a subscription

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    almost 100 international goals for Cristiano now. incredible

benni... and thebigman repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he may be better than messi in an overall ranking

he’s done it in 3 leagues and multiple international tournaments

his goal record is obscene considering he played wide and deeper for Utd for some time in those figures

Joe Martelo repped this.