Team Owner's Association/NuRock: USL1 super-thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by wjarrettc, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should USL league structure have ownership involvement?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are the Rhino's next?

2. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Rochester Thunder? sorry... :S are you talking about the Rhinos or what team?

3. babykhris

babykhris Member

Philadelpia Union
    Nov 30, 2008
    Philadlphia,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Thunder is Minnesota's PDL team their W-League team gone too.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, what he said. Rochester, Minnesota, not Rochester, NY. Different cities. Both very cold. ;)

5. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Pardon my ignorance... I thought the PDL team was in Rochester NY

6. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Rochester Rhinos are not TOA

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, as was mentioned, it's Rochester, MN, where the PDL team played.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From previous statements, I would say that Rochester and FCNY are probably the last teams to ever join the TOA rival league.

Austin seems fairly pro-USL. Portland said they are sticking with USL, but with MLS in 2 years, I think they just don't care to get bogged down in something new. Cleveland claims to be pro-USL but it seems to me they were just saying "we are too busy selling our team, so why change". PR, Charleston seem pretty indifferent. But I guessed they have at least renewed for 2010.

9. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    I was kinda hoping the Islanders would jump ship but... who knows :S

10. jmb321

jmb321 Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Well folks the game is on! The USL logo and badges have been removed from Miami FC, Carolina Railhawks and Minnesota Thunders websites. This is a clear sign that a formal and probably irrevocable break from the league and probable start of something new. Season tickets for 2010 are on still on sale.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah starting to look that way. USL telling players they're no longer under contract and the teams dumping references to USL on their sites doesn't bode well for the future of the relationship. Guess the question now is how many teams will defect, and will the USSF sanction the break away teams if they form a league.

12. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Taking a quick look at other team websites though....not all of them show the USL badge or even the affilation.

Now they are still listed but the website url's have been removed...so I think it's a threat but mostly a symbolic one right now.

Basically saying....we hold the power but I've a feeling this will backfire and push even more teams into the TOA camp.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Charleston fan, Im kind of sitting back and seeing how this all shakes out.

But I cant help but wonder that if the TOA get a breakaway league off the ground, where are the players going to come from?

The TOA will be very lucky to get a league up and running by next spring. Even without the time needed to get sanctioned by USSF and FIFA, organizing a league with insurance, contracts, sponsors and all could take them a few months.

We all know players in the US dont make alot of money and I honestly cant see the TOA being able to pay the players much more than what the USL players get.

Are players from the TOA teams going to sit around and hope the TOA league takes off or are they going to sign a contract over the next couple months and know they are going to be playing next year?

I could see the better players from the TOA teams signing contracts before christmas with the remaining USL teams.

And what is that going to leave for the TOA? Not much. MLS is expanding as it is and will be skimming the better USL players?

It certainly is going to be an interesting off season!

14. waynosworld

waynosworld New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Twin Cities
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't think any of the owners were happy with how the sale occurred. I predict more teams will push towards the TOA. PDL is a different deal. That is the USL jewel.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this will be interesting to watch. I can't say that I'll have fun watching it. And really sucky time for me just now finally having a team of my own. But that's selfish, I guess.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on that. With SD planning on joining USL 1 in 2011 it's not a great time for a shakeup.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most reporters seem to think the TOA has already been working on this for months. But still, I agree, I wonder how fast the USSF or FIFA will approve anything.

What league-wide sponsor are you talking about? Besides Umbro/Nike sorta being a sponsor (what did they give the teams anyways? free uniforms?), was there any other league-wide sponsor? Isn't that a beef of the TOA? That there are no league-wide sponsors? Besides, aren't most sponsors per team? Isn't Saturn a big sponsor of the Battery (for example) but not the rest of the USL. (Side note, might want to go for another sponsor there, Penske fell thru...).

As for players, they are all signed per team. So wouldn't they just keep the ones they have? The only ones in possible trouble are the new teams like St Louis, Atlanta or Tampa. But even then, I am sure the pool isn't that thin yet. I doubt the new TOA league will even have domestic requirements, hence making that issue a lot easier.

San Diego is joining the USL1 in 2011? When was that announced? I thought that was more like a hope or dream, not an actual commitment.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There hasn't been any official announcement that's true. But they've been working on forming the team for a while now holding tryouts and will be starting exhibition play in Feb. with an eye toward joining the league in 2011.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you post more about this in the San Diego USL Expansion thread? I missed that some where. Thanks.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States