Pre-match: #TCHUB vs Moo Moos

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Aug 25, 2018.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    RB should get the extra insurance soon.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s exactly what I was thinking.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Rooney hits crossbar

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Oh come on!

Finishing?

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Stieber too wasting a golden chance.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Don't waste any more time Ben. Bring Mattocks on. In a game like this the striker won't be able to make an impact with just 10 minutes. You gotta give him 20+ so he can find the rhythm of the game and make a difference.

Dizi, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we've improved, but not enough.

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Game over. Some signs of life, but obviously DC still has a long way to go in order to match up with the top 4 in the East.

I've been beating this drum for weeks, but Rooney is way too involved in the buildup. There should be no need for him to get that many touches when you have the likes of Acosta, Asad and Stieber in the midfield. So many times that Rooney gets a touch, the next logical pass would be to someone in the box, but there's never anyone there. Rooney needs to ween himself off the ball and just get in the box. Wait for others to serve the ball. He needs to focus on his finishing.

Unless of course Ben is willing to drop a midfielder and play Rooney and Mattocks together.

GlennAA11, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  9. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unlucky game. We did not deserve to lose. But RB is a very cynical team, not only good. I'd be surprised if this doesn't bring them far.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Next two games are very difficult; both Philly and Atlanta are on fire right now. And Atlanta is far better than us by definition.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily then we have a win in San Jose

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    you're a hell of a man

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Nothing to be ashamed of although I thought Ben threw in the towel and accepted the loss in the 82nd with the subs.

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If none of your plumbing is actually inside your house does it matter if it's lead?

15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not too bad tonight. The development of Fisher continues to amaze me. Reminds me of David Vaudreuil when he transformed himself into a good right back during the course of his last season with DCU. I hope Fisher keeps improving.

Lots of heavy touches out there tonight from our attack, but overall pretty good considering NY really likes to press. Gives me hope for Wednesday.

GlennAA11, Dizi, ImNumberTen and 3 others repped this.
  16. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    We want to thank Miss Julie's fifth-grade for their attempted in making a D.C. United hate-tifo that was used before tonight's game. This if anything makes more clear the need for more arts education in our schools, especially in the lower grades.

griffin1108, DCUSA, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won possession and outshot them. You have to go back several years where that was the case, regardless of venue.

So it's an improvement, but it just shows the hole they're digging out of is mighty deep. If they make the playoffs, they will have earned it. I don't think they will because soccer is unfair and there will be games they play well but results won't go their way.

No harm today though, just one game in hand wasted. Gotta get Philly.

bigredfutbol, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  18. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    We already know that without Acosta and Rooney this team is a bottom dweller of the league. It makes no sense to pull both of them with 10 minutes left when down by just one goal.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I was only able to watch from right before the RB goal to the 80th minute but Fisher looked like a seasoned vet.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    One of those matches where RBNY buried one of their chances and DCU didn't. Not much else to separate the two teams. I was disappointed with the result, but not the effort or the general play. Wednesday night is key, 3 points are a necessity. Stealing a point from Atlanta on the weekend also is key (I think it's too much to hope for 3 points on Sunday). Helps that Montreal and NE are rubbish and DCU still has 4 games in hand on Montreal.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was pissed off and sullen after this match.

That's a big improvement on where I was earlier in the year when I simply accepted our road losses and didn't feel we had a chance to begin with :cool:

We still have no, zero, nada, none, zippo .... offensive creativity when we take Acosta out of a game, that's still very disconcerting.

I agree with whoever above mentioned during the game that Mattocks needed to come in earlier to get used to the game - more imo because his first few attempts at goal are usually way off, he needs some time to narrow his aim or something. Also, MLS announcers continue to tell me he has speed but I am not seeing it.
    I think next year we need to find a pure-speed offensive threat - I miss not stretching out defenses.

Big test Wednesday - one, for me surviving another heat-wave in a parking lot; and two, for the team to take on a tough, gritty opponent who want to disrupt any flow to our game (assuming we will have any on an orange-to-red air-quality day).

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When one of the two has 16 years of hard mileage on his knees, the other is having a bad game, and they both have to play again in 72 hours it kinda does make sense.

Winoman repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta was off, Asad left hurt, Canouse had his worst game since before his injury, and were on the road against one of the better teams in the conference.

In the bigger picture, this result doesn't bother me. Of course, as noted above we find ourselves in a very deep hole.

GumbyG, Winoman, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  24. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good perspective.

I've felt for a while that DCU doesn't need to make the playoffs for me to feel better about this team after that horrific start (though of course I want them to). I hoped to see at the end of the season a team that was scoring, connecting passes (a significant percentage that are one touch), winning more than losing, and showing some semblance of defense.

These things are happening, and there's no shame in losing 0-1 to a quality NYRB side on the road (but a point was definitely within reach and of course I HATE losing to them).

SoccerEsq, Theopisa, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.
  25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Co-sign to all of this.

ImNumberTen and Winoman repped this.