Switzerland: Road to Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Jan 24, 2014.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Euro preview.

VERDICT: Switzerland have enough match winners in their squad to get through to the latter stages and emerge as one of the upset kings of Euro 2016, but the Swiss media appear to be less the convinced their team will live up to their promise in France.

A less than secure defence has been exposed when they step up against top class sides and there is a feeling that belief is lacking among this Swiss squad to beat one of the true heavyweights of European football. Time will tell if they can silence their doubters.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Really hope to see Lustenberger somehow, although unlikely.

Not at all optimistic right now. A number of our players are not in form.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many injuries, too many not playing well at all. I hope they can emerge from their group, but I really can not see a deep run.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embolo might not play in the Euros due to injury. G Xhaka has announced that he will not play for Kosovo, but will play for Switzerland.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    RobtheAggie repped this.
  7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provisional Switzerland squad for Euro 2016

Goalkeepers:
    Roman Bürki (Borussia Dortmund)Marwin Hitz (Augsburg), Yvon Mvogo (Young Boys), Yann Sommer (Borussia Mönchengladbach).

Defenders: Johan Djourou (Hamburg), Nico Elvedi (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Lang (Basel), Stephan Lichtsteiner (Juventus), François Moubandje (Toulouse), Ricardo Rodríguez (Wolfsburg), Fabian Schär (Hoffenheim), Philippe Senderos (Grasshoppers), Steve Von Bergen (Young Boys), Silvan Widmer (Udinese).

Midfielders: Valon Behrami (Watford), Blerim Džemaili (Genoa), Gelson Fernandes (Rennes), Fabian Frei (Mainz), Renato Steffen (Basel), Granit Xhaka (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Denis Zakaria (Young Boys), Luca Zuffi (Basel).

Forwards: Eren Derdiyok (Kasımpaşa), Breel Embolo (Basel), Admir Mehmedi (Bayer Leverkusen), Haris Seferović (Eintracht Frankfurt), Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City), Shani Tarashaj (Grasshoppers).

I agree. I had lots of hopes for this year's team, now not so much. Lichtsteiner is now the captain, not a surprise.

8. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Long time, no banter. So long in fact that I note your 'new' username!

My last post was probably along the lines of Swz 'peaking' a few yrs ago. Benaglio's 'retirement' started what I feel is a slow decline. Back in the day/years Swz had a 'surprise element'....but not now.

We can only hope for the best, but I'm in general agreement with the Swiss media.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes, it was time for a change in username last year. :D

I just want to get out of the group and avoid embarrassment. Besides the poor form of some key individuals the central defense is really worrying me. Up front I'm also not sure who's going to provide the goals. Personally I have seen enough of Mehmedi and would prefer Tarashaj gets the nod.

10. TomStevens

TomStevens New Member

May 23, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Hi. Hope you don't mind me getting in touch, I'm hoping to find Swiss football fans to speak to. My name is Tom and I work for the Guardian newpaper in London. I'm hoping to do a Euro 2016 project over the summer where I profile one country per day, and wondered if you would be interested in taking part representing Switzerland? Do let me know. There's more information about the project here - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/06/euro-2016-what-hopes-do-you-have-for-your-team You can email me at tom.stevens@guardian.co.uk Many thanks, Tom

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renato Steffen is out due to injury.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally an honest assessment of the Swiss chances.

Switzerland's miserable performances in their two friendlies in March, when they lost to Ireland and Bosnia without scoring, suggested they could struggle to even make it beyond the first round in France, where they face Romania, Albania and the hosts in Group A.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Mixed feelings about this one. On one hand he can shake things up and get under the opponent's skin but he is also a red card waiting to happen.

Very happy to see Seferovic score the goal that kept Frankfurt in the Bundesliga. Hopefully it gives him some confidence.

14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Schär injured his ankle today in training. Embolo has said his knee is better and he will play.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Had Lustenberger kept his mouth shut he would be penciled in as a starter right about now. Still wish Petkovic has it in him to be the "bigger man" and give Lusti a call.

Neither Klose or Schaer had me fully convinced but are we now looking at a Djourou-Senderos renaissance pairing?

Can Elvedi play CD?

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, we played better than in March but still lost 2-1 to Belgium. Looked massively improved up front with Shaqiri. Having him makes all the difference. The defense still worries me greatly. I felt bad for Senderos and his mistake that led to the Belgian equalizer. That was probably his last appearance for the Nati and it was in his hometown. Seferovic's red card was tremendously stupid no matter what the explanation. Just when he re-built some goodwill with the goal that kept Frankfurt up.

I still don't see what Mehmedi adds in his current form.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I thought your team would have created more, considering your quality and the fact that we were fielding a make-shift defense (which featured a CM at RB until well into the second half).

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least it was not a repeat of the Ireland match. There was some movement going forward. Senderos is not the answer. I agree that the Red Card was not smart. There was no need for that.

Here is hoping that Embolo can add something else going forward.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    We have been quite underwhelming since the World Cup. I have low expectations for the Euros.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Final Euro 2016 roster announced:

Keepers: Yann Sommer (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Roman Bürki (Borussia Dortmund), Marwin Hitz (Augsburg).

Defense: Johan Djourou (Hamburger SV), Nico Elvedi (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Lang (Basel), Stephan Lichtsteiner (Juventus Turin), François Moubandje (Toulouse), Ricardo Rodriguez (Wolfsburg), Fabian Schär (Hoffenheim), Steve von Bergen (Young Boys).

Midfield: Valon Behrami (Watford), Blerim Dzemaili (Genoa), Gelson Fernandes (Rennes), Fabian Frei (Mainz), Granit Xhaka (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Denis Zakaria (Young Boys).

Forwards: Eren Derdiyok (Kasimpasa Istanbul), Breel Embolo (Basel), Admir Mehmedi (Bayer Leverkusen), Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City), Haris Seferovic (Eintracht Frankfurt), Shani Tarashaj (Grasshoppers).

I agree with Petkovic on cutting Senderos and Widmer. Not so much Zuffi. His free-kick skills (think the goal against St. Etienne for Basel) could have been useful. Happy to see Tarashaj there. That should settle his future with our national team over Albania (don't think he would go for the potential Kosovo option).

I hope Von Bergen doesn't see the field as he really shouldn't be there. After the Euros I also think it's time for someone younger to take Fernandes's spot.

21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on every one of your points. I hope Von Bergen is really for cover only in worst case situation. 8 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 forwards.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    2:1 win against Moldova.

Didn't exactly lift my spirits. Extremely nervous about the Albania match...

23. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that at least it was better than the Austria - Malta match.

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what an underwhelming match by the Swiss. The central defense looked very weak. 3 points is 3 points, but, that was not a very impressive win.

25. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting Line-up
    [​IMG]