Sweeping changes to US Soccer? What would you do?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CyphaPSU, Oct 10, 2017.

1. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Much of this crap would end with Pro/Rel. The sheeple parents would have options and the money would be flowing in the opposite direction.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is another dilemma. Spain had/has a great national team but all those guys play on RM or Barcelona. No wonder they are so good, they know each other's strengths and weaknesses so well. But the price Spain pays is that those two teams win the league 98% of the time. Sorry, but I am not interested in a domestic league organized like that just to make the USMNT into some powerhouse.

3. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Umm, no. Over expansion is not even remotely a problem on the player development side. You're missing the big picture.

Calm Down? We just lost a must-draw match to an Caribbean Island with 1.2 million people.

There's an obvious solution that the powers running this sport do not like. It comes down to whether the U.S. Soccer fans have the stones and resolve to force it down their throat.

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    End "Pay-to-Play" and do it now.

It is a cancer in travel baseball, AAU basketball, and even in lacrosse and field hockey, where parents go into debt thinking their kid will make the national team by playing on A Certain Club and participating in A Certain Tournament to get exposed.

You're already seeing vacillation from players in the Development Academies, people who want to play with their friends at school rather than being playing for 11 months on an all-star team.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...make-tough-calls-with-us-development-academy/

matabala repped this.
  5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    And use Ian Darke's voice when you say that. "Iceland .... ICELAND!!"

6. Grateful One

Grateful One Member

Sep 25, 2001
    Desolation Row, NJ
    If we were a proper soccer/footballing nation Gulati and Arena would have already resigned.

I cringed when we brought Arena back and took a lot of crap on Twitter in June when we started nervously against T&T after that humiliating friendly draw with Venezuela. But this guy, who got to play with stacked decks in MLS for years and acted like he masterminded everything barely had to do any tactical managing and was obviously out of his depth.

It's sad that Clint Dempsey won't get another World Cup. I agree with some of the other previous comments its going to take another generation and more technical coaching throughout all levels for MLS to start attracting & producing the type of athletes that could become class soccer players.

7. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC

monere, The X Factor and meyers repped this.
  8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with all this; I'd also add that we need to not weed kids out so quickly. Even many of the kids who can afford it are turned away because they're behind the curve physically and the coaches are under pressure to win. The pool gets shrunk before puberty has run its course.

Also, we've mixed up the development system with the world of kids who just want to play, at the expense of both. That hurts the sport because we fail to create that critical mass of people who grow up loving the sport and identifying with it. So many kids who aren't good enough to play professionally but who really love playing and would otherwise grow up to be fans end up getting pushed away from the game around the age of 13 or so. Why should they care about any of this?

mwulf67, juveeer, Orange14 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    But doesn't this work in reverse, too. If our St. Louis guys in 1950 can beat England, isn't just as likely that pro levels guys all from T&T can beat us?

10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just did last night.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    #62 Ball Chucking Hack, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    It's worth thinking about why MLS seems to have helped our regional rivals more than it's helped us. And maybe it's US pro soccer more broadly, not just MLS. There are a fair number of NASL and USL pros on some concacaf teams.

I'm not sure why this discrepancy exists, but I think it does, and I think it's why qualification mishaps are more fatal recently. Mexico really should have been eliminated last time.

It's true that neither us now or them then were playing at close to each pool's potential, but the US and Mexico both seemed to survive such errors with more ease in the cycles post 94 and prior to 2014.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC

I saw the game too. My point is that you're not always going to get to be Rocky. Some days you're Apollo Creed.

tallguy and Robert Borden repped this.
  14. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I like Hislop's idea that you need to find a solution that will work for your particular situation. Not sure what that would be.Somehow finding a more cohesive strategy that takes advantage of the diversity in styles in US soccer?

Looking at the results all through this cycle I feel like other nations in the region have outperformed the US because they adopted a strategy on the field that worked for them. Costa Rica for a while now has largely had a defensive strategy that took advantage of Navas but also let them get everybody on the same page quickly. That seems necessary in qualifiers.

The US has really lacked that for a while now.

GumbyG repped this.
  15. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    If you aren't going to be prime age or younger for qualifying in 2020-2021 era then you have no place on the national team, keepers of course being excepted but Howard needs to put them up as well.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. yarbles

yarbles New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    pretty much spot on. the mountain of the problem is that US soccer is like the US federal government. TOO big to reform, too big to optimize for efficiency, too much politics, etc.. Dudes in charge won't reform something if it will take their salary away. I think we have to live with the way things are. Maybe once in a century, a US national team will rise like Excalibur to make a run for glory. Out side of that, youth soccer will be pay-to-play.

Hell, I live in the DC-MD-VA area. There's a ton of 'pitches' that are built. They are 'permit only' and you must pay to pay on them that is if you can get a permit. The big clubs, hog them up and so if some club wanted to do things the right way, they don't have a chance. The only people that use them for pick up games are minorities and they get chased off by school ADs or Park & Rec officers.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I live here also and would note that there are lots of free spaces to play on. Rock Creek Park has several areas that are free play zones and they have soccer goals. Publicschools also have athletic fields that can be used as well. I see lots of pick up games every weekend.

I was just reading The Guardian's match report and there was a link to this article that came out a year ago: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football It's too true today as well.

18. eric

eric Member

Apr 15, 1999
    cleveland, oh, usa
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    We forget that this team didn't always give effort. Blowing up USSF (which should be done BTW) does not cure that. That is pure team selection, which can doom even the best system, just look at the Dutch.

russ repped this.
  19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be useful to recruit better pure athletes at a younger age. We lose a lot of top athletic talent to baseball, basketball and football because that's where the prestige and the money are to be found.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #70 Pl@ymaker, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    We have to get the best out of our player pool. We have to get the best athletes, technically gifted and most intelligent players we have and make our team one of the best in the world. More kids need to be exposed to the sport and more need to be given opportunities to play with our youth teams.

323 Million means nothing if not many play soccer and if many of those who do are left out.

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in another thread, but if you're a 9 year old kid and you can go score touchdowns, make base hits, or shoot baskets vs learn the Cruyff turn, which are you going to do? Youth soccer has to figure out how to teach youngsters skills without turning the sport into music practice.

Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  22. denverexpat

denverexpat New Member

Barcalona
    England
    Oct 10, 2017
    The issues are more systemic than just the Soccer hierarchy. School is mandatory until you are 18 in the US. In Europe and S.America you can leave at 16 in most countries, sometimes under conditions but you are free to pursue soccer 100%. Players that have been identified at 12-14 now can play with the pro team full time. In the US, they are stifled until 18 then most choose college vs. a career in soccer. Until this changes, the best US talent will be filtered between full-time education and some into MLS and other leagues. Secondly, most US games are structured - "plays" are called...ala Basketball, Football etc...with coaching and pay to play is the method for youth soccer here, kids become structured, and don't develop the feel for the game that is gained from pick up or just playing with friends. The goal in US youth soccer isn't for a career, like in other countries, its to get into higher education for free. Pulisic played with older kids when he was young, then onto Germany at 16...how many other players have or will follow that path?
    Changing management and coaching at the NT level isn't going to change a thing unless the systemic handbrake is released. JMHO

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those with European passports

24. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC

I think lots of people don't realize how important this is. We look at participation numbers, which are high. I don't think that number really catches the number of kids that aspire to be a pro soccer star in the same way as in other US sports. So the potential pool isn't as large as it seems. I also think it's bigger than organized soccer. The time needed requires free as well as organized play.

Look at the pool now and its still heavily influenced by immigrant communities and their descendants and coaches kids. I have absolutely no issue with this. Guys who want to play and give their all for the national team are Americans. But that demo on the team is a symptom of the fact that soccer is still a niche sport.

I think this is changing. Look at the kids w/ soccer jerseys you didn't see prior to this decade. But it's going to change more slowly than anyone wants. This is true of other US deficiencies: scouting and coaching. They're improving, but more slowly than we'd want.

In the mean time I think we need to admit we are still a relative newcomer to international soccer and adopt a strategy that recognizes the particular strengths and weaknesses the team has.

For the current team we should emulate Costa Rica more so than Germany.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy I don't know. I don't think pursuing raw athleticism--particularly in a country where the popular team sports prioritize many athletic traits which are less essential in soccer--is really the way to go.