Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    im starting to think what will happen to Ryan Gravenberch come next season. he is clearly a player who is in form at the moment at Jong ajax. 4 goals in his last five games and is starting to look a cut above the rest. even though Ten Hag is giving minutes to the youngsters, can he break into the Ajax starting 11 next season.

2. I think you should subtract the matches against the other Young teams. The only real measures are those against regular clubs.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gravenberch's agent is Mino Raiola and we all know what that means.:mad:

4. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Yeah -- I am nervous about it. Although Mino smart: he knows the best way to get money for him will be for him to start for Ajax for 1-2 years. The track records of youth guys leaving Ajax and trying to make it elsewhere is not good.

XI at Valencia: Onana; Dest, Veltman, Blind, Tagliafico; Martinez, Alvarez; Promes, van de Beek, Ziyech; Tadic

Bench: Varela, Schuurs, Kik, Neres, Hunter, Siem, Marin

No Maz on the bench. I actually believe Neres is best as a super-sub. No interesting youth players there (I'd like Lang!)...

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax withstood a bunch of pressure at the beginning of the second half thanks to superb goalkeeping by Onana. When van de Beek got the third goal, Valencia were noticeably deflated and it was just a question of not making any mistakes from that point on. Pretty poor passing by both teams during the match. Ajax gave away the ball way too cheaply in their end but got away with it. Six points from the first two games is a good start for this CL quest.

Player Ratings:

Onana (8.5) - some outstanding stops marred only by a cheap YC for time wasting (deserved)
    Tagliafico (7) - had a great shot on goal that was well saved but had trouble defending
    Blind (7) - good on the night
    Veltman (7.5) - yes, he had an early YC but then cleared everything that was in his area
    Dest (6) - very poor first half and very good second half, still needs to be alert on defense
    Martinez (7.5) - a total rock in the defensive MF
    Alavarez (5.5) - way too late on the PK call and several weak passes; did defend well having some good blocks
    van de Beek (7.5) - all over the field; great assist on the Promes goal and then he took a great chance and then a delicate chip over Cillessen had to be cleared off the line
    Promes (7) - nice match but needs to be aware of the new rule about exiting the pitch on a substitution; no excuse for the YC
    Tadic (7.5) - did not score but look at how he held the ball up and passed in tight spaces
    Ziyech (8) - wonder goal for the match winner and did the defensive work helping to contain Valencia breakaways
    Neres (5.5) - a couple of nice touches coming on late
    Huntelaar (NR)
    de Jong (NR)

Chelsea coming up at home in three weeks!!!!!!

6. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bakker.

Orange14 repped this.
  7. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    By xG and really watching that first half, Ajax were on the ropes. That horrific PK and some heroics by Onana were both huge. As was the brilliance of Ziyech. Second half was much better.

I'm still not sold on Martinez-Alvarez as the DM pairing. Both seem to have trouble with quick passing. Martinez got caught in possession or with poor touches in the first half almost leading to goals. Alvarez tackle on the PK was just mindless.

I still think Donny adds most stability and technical ability in that deeper role although tonight he was brilliant in his normal position. But you just can't have it all.

8. I'm a bit surprised you gave him more than a 5. He was responsible for letting his player get into the box easily that forced the ?? player to foul him and he was lucky the Valencia man did a "Jaap Stam" and a couple of minutes later he did the same thing, and that guy could get a shot but thankfully Onana saved the day for him.
    That Valencia coach let most of the attack go towards Tagliafico, which was lucky for Ajax.
    I have serious doubts about the defensive capabilities of Dest against quality opponents.

9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Was only able to watch the extended highlight. Van de Beek looked really solid... he's screaming for a start for the next Oranje qualifier matches. OTOH, I can't believe Cillessen is Koeman's no. 1 goalie. Could have done much, much better on first and third goals. He is a mediocre GK at best, certainly not made for big game. Can we trade him with Cameroon for Onana? Is it allowed? We'll throw in Strootman, Van Aanholt and Babel for good measure. :laugh:

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He had two excellent interventions in the 2nd half that broke up attacking situations. He also had the starting pass for the third goal. He is still very young and learning the position.

11. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Yeah it definitely wasn't as dominant as 3-0 suggests. That being said Ajax created an insane amount of high quality chances. In comparison most of Valencia's major chances were lucky; an incredibly unnecessary PK gifted by Alvarez and two deflected shots which forces Onana heroics. Ajax played a dominant game but really needs to stop gifting those kind of unnecessary moments to opponents. If not that's definitely gonna come back to bite them later in the knockout fase.

12. Yup. That was in the Lille match the same. Give those chances to Messi/Ronaldo/Mertens and you would see 3 goals or more against on the score board. If both Lille and Valencia had converted a portion of those chances the mood versus Dest would be quite different, I'm sure.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why all the hate against an 18 year old player who until 12 months ago was thought not to be good enough for Ajax. Mazraoui is only a marginally better defender and Veltman is too slow to play RB. Would we really be discussing Dest at all were it not for the ambiguity of which NT he will try to compete for????

14. Well, the hyping going on while the real reason why defenders areon the pitch is his weak point, but dismissing players that have proven themselves in that area is just foolish. If you confuse putting the finger on the obvious weaknesses with hate, bigging him up for nothing...how would we call that then?
    Do you really think much love would be in the Arena if Lille scored 3 or more times out of the missed chances resulting from Dest's errors?

The discussion isnot about him thinking about where to take his chances. That's his problem. What is heatly debated is the stupid assertion by alot of YA followers the Orange team staff offered a 2020 EC spot or he immediately walks into the Orange team now.
    A team where Koeman said if de Ligt would be too long on the Juventus bench, he would have a problem.
    Some posters put on the table that the current right back selection isnot good at defending. First of all Dumfries, Hatenboer, Janmaat are defensively superior to him, both in actual defending and in top opponents experience. So to hype someone who in two CL matches showed vulnerable defensively (we have Cillesen, not Onana to bail us out) against attacks we as the Orange team will encounter or most likely better ones is being ignorant.

So no, it's not hatred, it's bursting a bubble with true observations.

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Saw the match highlights and Cillessen looked poor to me.
    What is with the hype surrounding Dest?
    Very small and weak looking to me.
    With Alvarez and Martinez in defensive midfield roles I’m a little shocked that Veltman getting a run at Centerback why not Schurrs?

16. Run and duck .....incoming ....:ROFLMAO:

17. You would be a welcoming addition to the Dest thread in the US Men forum.

wynaldaisagod repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this forum!!! :thumbsup:

19. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've been saying this since the Dest hype started. He has some talent but is nothing special; certainly not worth fighting over for the NT. Both Karsdorp and Dumfries are better.

20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Totally agree -- Cillessen was meh. I've never thought he's a great shot stopper. I feel like he doesn't read shots great. Great at passing/starting an attack though.

I (again) agree on Dest. It's US media created. He's a good player but not a special, changing federation guy. In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if he was playing for a huge club or if he was playing at Vitesse like Baozer.

Shurrs has been very good going forward, passing but his defensive positioning has been poor. He looks weak sometimes too. I think Veltman's been really good -- except for stupid, unnecessary yellow cards like the one yesterday. Seems like people just hate Veltman no matter what. I think he's been outstanding this season.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Schuurs needs to improve his footwork. He isn't quite as quick as he needs to be here but is much better than last season. He is a very good passer of the ball and did quite well in the preseason matches when both FBs were returning from international duty.

Veltman has been quite good this season and he is a good CB and mediocre FB. Ajax spent €6M several years ago to bring in Mike van der Hoorn when Alderwiereld left for Athletico Madrid. Veltman beat him out and was only displaced when Ajax purchased Sanchez. He's not a commanding presence like de Ligt but more than adequate.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A rainy day against ADO and other than about 20 minutes in the 1st half Ajax were lackluster. That the two center backs for Ajax were the best players on the pitch gives one a sense of how the game went. Wasteful in the first half and only getting the 2nd goal late in the match left things in doubt. Perhaps the congested fixture schedule and the artificial surface were to blame but Ajax does get out of town with a clean sheet.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - one good kick save and then badly out of position and saved by a side net shot
    Tagliafico (6) - just above average and picked up another YC
    Blind (7.5) - stellar job in the middle
    Veltman (7.5) - along with Blind sealed off everything against taller players
    Dest (7) - much better defensively on the day
    Martinez (6.5) - OK match but on threat to score from distance
    van de Beek (6.5) - industrious as always
    Promes (6) - really should have scored
    Tadic (6) - not much of a factor on the day
    Huntelaar (6) - got the match winner and had some good hold up play but little else
    Ziyech (7) - always dangerous with the ball today and given a lot of space by ADO
    Neres (6) - really good run to get the 2nd goal
    Alvarez (NR) - just a couple of touches on late for Ziyech

International break coming up and no match next weekend. Lots of Ajax players on duty for their NTs.

BTV802 repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Props to Waalwijk for coming out and playing hard. By all rights they should have taken all three points having at least 4-5 clear chances to score. Ajax were just terrible and this team cannot overlook any team in the league. Don't worry about CL football those matches will come up and be dealt with in time. The defense seemed ill-organized through out and has to be much better this week against Chelsea.

Player Ratings:

Onana (5) - not commanding at all
    Mazraoui (5) - average
    Blind (5) - average
    Veltman (4.5) - poor positioning on more than one occasion
    Dest (5.5) - very nice cross to set up Tadic on the goal
    Martinez (5) - some good interventions and some misplays balanced things out
    van de Beek (5) - not an impact player on the night
    Promes (5.5) - nice goal on the game winner but nothing more
    Ziyech (5) - one decent shot and several poor crosses
    Huntelaar (5) - average
    Tadic (5.5) - nice goal and some decent passing but nothing more
    Schuurs (4) - beaten several times
    Neres (5) - not much of a threat
    Alvarez (NR) - on to add some defense but not sure it worked.

Chelsea at home in the CL and if they play like this it won't be pretty

24. The USA fans think Dest played a great game and now for sure is bound to go Orange. If this is symptomatic of how Americans evaluate play and players, no wonder you get beaten up by Canada.