Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Great ratings. Martinez was clearly the best Ajax field player.

Tadic as a 5 is fair but overall he has not been very sharp this year. Last year he did play as well as anyone in the world (minus Messi) at times. If we made the CL final and won, I think he would have been a world player of the year finalist. This year he hasn't been in form.

2. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I don't see it in Martinez like some of you do. He is definitely decent but I think he isn't some star in the making.

So small and gets bullied off the ball at times. Not the quickest but tries to make up for it by smart positioning and being aggressive which can hurt at times.

I'd agree that he has been the best of bunch but that isn't saying much.

The loss of De Jong and De Ligt is really showing. Those two guys are superstars and without those two this team is left with just a lot of average to above average pieces.

Ajax are definitely good enough to win Eredivisie but with this team in the form they are in they are destined for a 4th place finish in a Champions League group if they win next week.

It shows how much De Jong and De Ligt hid other players weaknesses. Especially De Jong. Marin is such a weak player. He shouldn't even be on the bench

3. Uhm, Marin didnot play with de Jong and de Ligt.

4. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Yes I know that. He was brought in to be a replacement and have been beyond disappointed.

Marin is showing how great De Jong was.

5. I already was wondering why ten Hag changed the formation leaving out Perr Schuurs.

6. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I don't think anyone says Martinez is a star in the making. Just he was good today while everyone else was not. I think he is very strong too. Doesn't get bullied off the ball. His aggressiveness is going to be an issue: he will pile up 100 yellows this year.

Being in pot 2 will help Ajax immensely if they can qualify. They will get better. I wouldn't write off them as a 4th place CL team yet. The front 4 is very good and guys like Nico will play better. But I'm starting to wonder if he wants to be here. The agreement with him is weird.

But yeah-- the difference between de Jong and no de Jong is massive.

I also think ten Hag overthought everything. He should have kept the same XI, replaced de Ligt with Shuurs or Veltman and Marin/someone better for de Jong. The rest of the XI was working quite well. When he started moving the pieces everywhere (Maz/Blind to MF for instance) it brought a lot of instability to the team. It pissed off Schöne who we could really use.

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax were poor tonight and to say the team misses De Jong and De Ligt is an understatement.
    De Ligt’s size and aerial ability on both ends of the pitch is a massive loss.
    Ajax were very shaky in the back and looked very small to me.
    De Jong’s ability to move the ball, keep possession, read the play, and control the tempo is simply not going to be made up.
    Marin looks like he’s out of his depth.
    I hope to see Promes, Alvarez, and Schurrs get a run out.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Most clubs in the world cannot adequately replace two players such as de Jong and de Ligt. Looking at the statistics, Ajax had 75% of the possession, most of it in the APOEL half and out shot the Cypriot team.

I think ten Hag is trying to fit a bunch of round pegs into square holes. While he has a much deeper squad than last season, there are players who just don't fit into the positions he wants them to play. I have no problems with Schöne's transfer to Italy. At this stage in his career he can not play a full 90 minutes on a team that relies on pressing all over the field. I never thought that he was a quick decision maker passing the ball but his free kicks rank with the best in Europe and maybe only Messi is better.

Blind, while a great passer of the ball, is not quick enough defensively to play in the MF. Unfortunately, he is also not as good defensively as Martinez who has taken over the LCD. Marin came into the team with a strong reputation but is he really a DM? Last night he was marooned in the MF by ten Hag's tactics. It was difficult for him to get the ball from the back three or the two FBs and when he did, double teams appeared very quickly. It has to be noted that things were not any better when Mazroui moved into that position.

We were spoiled by the sudden rise of de Ligt and replacing him was always going to be difficult. He was able to cover up for MF mistakes and was always a force to score on free kicks into the box. Yes, Magallan appears to be a waste of money but who was to know this ahead of time? He played RCD for one of the top teams in South America. Veltman would have left the team two years ago had he not injured his cruciate ligament. He's neither a RCD or a RB (remember Ajax paid good money for van der Hoorn several years ago when Alderweield left because they needed to fill that gap but Veltman beat him out). Schuurs is tall, good on the ball and much stronger this season. IMO he is the only possibility at RCD. Alvarez is a very good player for his NT and former club but he is not a CD. He is a DM or potential RB but we already have Mazraoui and potentially Dest at that position.

I'm not sure what the solution is right now. the only constants are the front 3/4 (I include Huntelaar), and van de Beek in attack. Onana at keeper and Tagliafico at LB. I would probably add Martinez at LCD to that group. In retrospect, rescheduling this Sunday's match may not have done ten Hag any favors as he has no opportunity to experiment with alternatives. Alvarez really needs a runnout in the MF to see how he can perform.

Ajax have had a recent history of dysfunctional MFs (last season was the exception) and this year may prove to be no exception.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    van de Beek is out of this week's CL playoff match with a muscle injury suffered in training yesterday. I wonder what ETH will do in terms of the MF. One option would be to start Alvarez and Blind in the deep pivot and move Marin up to #10. Alternatively, move Ziyech or Tadic back and start Huntelaar.

10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Sad to hear about Donny. Could be sidelined up to 3 weeks I read. Probably out of the Dutch NT squad too then - which is a big blow, as I thought he had a decent chance to start for Koeman given his current form at Ajax.

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Blind/Marin behind Ziyech. Neres out right, Tadic left with Hunter as the 9.

I actually think this might be good for this match specifically. The way APOEL played the first leg, and I'm assuming will play the second, Huntelaar should start. Ajax needed someone in the box who can finish a cross.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would pair Alvarez and Blind as the deep double pivot. We need Alvarez to provide some needed defense in the MF.

13. According to "de Telegraaf" the Ajax players are not happy with the line up ten Hag has in his head for the CL decider.
    It seems they're worried about the defensive vulerability.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am reasonably sure that they don't know who ETH is going to start on Wednesday. I bet that decision is not made until the day of the match. It's a must win game and conceding a goal to APOEL in the first half could be the kiss of death.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    This is a big match for Alvarez to get his first start. Maybe the week in between matches has allowed him to get integrated. Honestly I have seen him play a few Mex NT matches and was not overly impressed-- especially the Gold Cup Final.

Marin has been beyond awful but at this point, I don't know if there is anyone else is Donny + Maz are out.

16. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax u19 won their friendly against Barcelona u19 in their new Johan Cruyff stadium, which is built for La Masia Academy.
    The two goals are scored by Naci Unuvar. Two beauties actually.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unuvar just turned 16 in June!!! Best youth talent since #34 was coming through the ranks.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^I have no clue who ETH is going to start. AD reports: Onana: Tagliafico, Martinez, Veltman, Dest; Blind, Alvarez, Ziyech; Promes, Tadic, Neres

I guess we will find out in a few hours!!!

19. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is Gravenberch not going to see any significant time this season?

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He might get a cup match. He says he is a DM these days and that puts him behind Marin, Blind & Alvarez.

21. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Six defensive players in a game we must absolutely win, hope tH knows what he's doing.