Summer Transfers, 2008

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, May 19, 2008.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    George O'Callaghan has gone bakc to England, this time with Tranmere Rovers. He is set to make his debut in a friendly against Liverpool tomorrow.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that Spurs' victory in the League Cup, their 1st in 9 years which also was another League Cup, happened today.

As I said, Spurs win the pissant League Cup and immediately that's relevant and everything that happened before is meaningless. Crap. Using that yardstick, where do you stop? That the 1st half doesn't matter because we're now in the second half? That last week's game means nothing because it was last week? That the goal scored 5 minutes ago means nothing and is only history?

I doubt there's a Spurs fan alive who would swap their season with Liverpool's last season. On the one hand a piss poor league season and a League Cup versus a League finish that brought Champions League football plus a semi-final of the Champions League.

As a matter of fact that's one of the very reasons Keane wants out - no Champions League football (ever) at Spurs.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    No connection?

This is the 21st century. People are connected everywhere. The world is small now, or flat as some would say.

I can't help the fact I was raised as a Liverpool fan and had my first kit at age 6, had the premier league stickerbooks, etc.

4. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I appreciate Liverpools great history blighted only by the disgrace of Heysel and the tragedy of Hillsborough but my point is that Spurs won a trophy last year and Liverpool did not and I as a Spurs fan have a right to be hopeful of the future.

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You do have that right, as the man says, you have the right to your opinion, but not your own facts.

You be hard pushed to find even the most one-eyed Spurs fan or Liverpool fan or any other third party fan who would claim ingenuously that Spurs are a more successful team than Liverpool or that they had a more successful season than Liverpool last season. And that's a very large part of the reason why Robbie Keane is interested in a move. If he stays at Spurs, and he very well might as United are sniffing around Berbatov, he is at least one more season away from Champions League football.

Furthermore, first time participants in the CL, certainly 1st time English sides, tend to struggle mightily to get out of the group stages. Liverpool (and United, Arsenal and Chelsea) have the European pedigree and few would bet against them not to make the knock out stages; Spurs or any other ingénue would not be such a safe bet.

Keane has many things to think about if he were to move from Spurs to Liverpool. Wondering if he's going to a smaller or less successful club or one with less potential is not any part of those considerations.

6. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I think this topic has been exhausted.
    We are not going to agree , I think that Spurs have a brighter future than Liverpool and you don't but I certainly enjoyed the exchange of views even if I did have to look up ingenue in the dictionary ( an artless,naive,innocent girl !! )

7. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ah be nice:D

KOH

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Aiden McGeady ahs ended speculation about his future by signing a 5-year contract at Celtic.

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Noel Hunt has signed for Reading from Dundee Utd. Might tihs pave the way for Doyle to move back to the Premiership?

10. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    I doubt if Noel Hunt was bought as a replacement for Doyle , in no way is Noel a centre forward

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Robbie Keane signs for Liverpool. A good move all around.

12. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I've got to say, this move has re-ignited my flagging interest in football. Sign me up to the Liverpool fan club please! Roll on opening day of the Premiership season!

13. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    Best of luck to Robbie and thanks for all the good years in a Spurs jersey.
    Still convinced it's a bad move for him but the grossly exaggerated fee must be a great consolation to Spurs !

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great move for all concerned. Robbie will be playing the best in Europe as the Pool walk on!!

15. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree it's a very positive move - I can't wait to watch Keane play in the Champions League.

I'm just a bit concerned, though, that he might find first team opportunities limited, at least at the outset.

16. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    Read in the papers yesterday that Robbie was on trial with Liverpool as a kid but turned them down in favour of Wolves !!

17. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I always knew Robbie was smart ;)

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The usual dilemma very good youngsters face - sign with a big club and play reserves/bench or sign with a lesser team and play 1st team football.

19. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    Surely not a dilemma if you are the " biggest Liverpool fan in the world " !

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Be in first team at Wolves very soon or Reserve for Liverpool for a while.

Simple decision. Smart decision.

Why he is where he is today.

You need more than a ball to play soccer. You need them BRAINS.

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  22. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    Having seen Robbie playing in recent times for Ireland the words Robbie Keane and brains are mutually exclusive !

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    How's that going for you, btw? ;)

24. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Not too well but the season is but a pup !
    The point still applies about Robbie however , no league goals yet for Liverpool and the usual curate's egg of a performance for Ireland mid week.
    How's your All Ireland league shaping up after the Cork City , Drogs and soon to be Boh's fiascos , still looking good ?

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    My All-Ireland league??? I have only ever proposed it as an idea worthy of being looked at, possibly better than the status quo. Not only is reading fundamental, comprehension is probably more so.

Regarding Keane - amazing the spin. Now it's because he has not scored in the league. :rolleyes: Ridiculous. (He has scored in the Champions' League which is more than he ever did at Spurs ;)).

The consensus of his time so far at Anfield has been very positive, great support play, a vital piece of the equation that sees Liverpool unbeaten this season. Also, honesty would indicate acknowledgement of Keane's usual slow start to every season in the goal scoring column.

The season is pup? Perhaps, but there's no one who would now argue that Keane should have stayed at Spurs. Especially in light of the fact that Southampton are the only team who have escaped relegation with only 2 points after 8 games. BTW, where are those signings that will make Spurs' season better this season than last? So far it's been the worst ever start to a season for Spurs.

By any yardstick, Keane has jumped from the frying pan to safety. And is probably saying his prayers of thanks every night for it.