Summer 2016 Transfers - The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by soccernutter, May 13, 2016.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sofiane Feghouli

"I do not know if he will ever wear the Valencia shirt again," said Pako Ayestaran in April, after Feghouli was suspended for supposedly refusing to take part in a warm-down after a Valencia game. Indeed the Algerian hasn't featured since, and since his contract is up in the summer it seems likely that he has played his final game for the club, which means someone is going to get a very cheap, very talented winger.

Could that someone be Tottenham? There are arguments against it, not least that Mauricio Pochettino takes a very dim view of such ill-discipline, and at 26 he might even be a little old for them, but with a new stadium to pay for Spurs must watch their spending, so when a talent like Feghouli becomes available they could see a chance to strengthen their squad cheaply.

http://www.espnfc.com.co/blog/socce...targets-zlatan-valdes-terry-ben-arfa-and-more

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up, Lallana.

3. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *crickets*

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thought I read that we're now looking more and more at Embolo. The Mirror suggesting we might sell Son is just ridiculous. Don't see Levy spending £24m for Kane's backup unless it consists of mostly incentive bonuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    'Nutter likes his tabloids, eh? :p

Cover for Kane and Dier has to be top of the shopping list. Strikers, of the quality we would expect, are going to be 20m+ surely? Even if they are behind Kane. Son needs another year to settle in to the English game, I have high hopes for him.

7. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You're probably right about the price of the striker, but I thought the sticking point with Berahino last year is that Pearce wanted £25m and it had to be almost all up front. I think Levy likes to structure payments over time and/or fees are paid based on performance. Don't really know what that means in the grand scheme of things...

8. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldn't mind singing a really really really good winger to give us options. Chadli was worthless, Son was really hot/cold, and N'Jie was nonexistent

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs need, in order:
    1 - Somebody who can play with or give Kane a rest without missing a beat
    2 - The midfield personality I have so often talked about
    3 - Cover for Dier
    4 - Somebody on the left to balance Lamela on the right

In essence, 3 midfielders.

As for Son, I think he will be better this second season.
    As for Njie, he was not bought for last season, and will only fill in this season. He is a player for the future.
    As for Chadli, sell him now. His brilliance does not mask his invisibility.
    I can see Onamah getting significanly more playing time. And I think Mason will do better, too, with more playing time. If Bentaleb recovers his form, need 3 will not be as dier. (See what I did there?)

In the end, I think Spurs really only need 3 players, but they need to be quality players, nobody for the future.

10. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Son wasn't the same after the injury but he showed real quality at times. Before N'Jie got hurt I thought he showed flashes. As you say, a work in progress, and I like him. Lots of reasons those two will play a much bigger role next season. Since foreign players can have trouble settling in in the PL, I'm assuming we'll be in for Bolasie and maybe Wanyama. The former was hurt for a long stretch but when he's right he's really something on the left.

11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    More rumours of Bayshuayi, he's apparently been talking up the Premiership. West Ham are said to be keen - with the Europa League, a very decent season, some great players already, the standard PL money and most importantly their shiny new stadium, they're a very decent draw for players; but surely, put us up against them in a straight 2 way battle for a signature and it's us every time. There's your Kane partner/alternative right there.

Axel Witsel - one year left on his contract, and Zenit are no longer paying the silly money which saw them get Witsel, Mkhitaryan, Douglas Costa and Hulk a few years ago. Stoke (?) said to be sniffing around, which is just baffling as he's way better than them. I like him - can play as a pure DM (Dier), a ball carrying box to box (Dembele), he's 27 with plenty of top level experience (Zenit in the CL and with the Belgian national team) and he's a big character.

I really like Bolasie, exactly the type of player I love to watch. However, depends on Chadli & buying a forward - if (when?) we do get a genuine CF, both N'Jie and Son will be looking for their playing time in the support forward/wide positions, paying a lot of money for yet another body in that area seems somewhat superfluous especially if Chadli is still in the mix.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You might be underestimating how much money West Ham have now. They just had a bid worth £31m rejected for Lacazette (Sky Sports). That's more than our transfer record and more than the maximum fee for Lamela if he meets all of the conditions.

For all we know, they could be offer him higher wages as well. In a straight two way battle, I'm not giving either side better than 50:50 odds to sign the player.

13. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    My hope is simple - buy a player if we think he's good enough to improve the first XI. Do not buy for depth.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    B-b-but we have champions league football, and every player says playing in the champions league is the most important thing! :rolleyes:

15. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they got a stadium for bargain basement price. they can probly outbid every PL team except the two Manchesters

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I agree with that at DM, but disagree at forward.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mirror is saying a fee has been agreed for Vincent Janssen

18. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope that is true.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Mirror says 11m for Victor Wanyama. Personally I think Witsel should be 1st choice, but Wanyama is a fine player of the same type (and a fantastic athlete as dictated by our style) and fills a clear gap in the squad. Very happy if true.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's an odd place to announce your transfer.

743941081159598081 is not a valid tweet id

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now Sky saying a fee for Wanyama (between 11-12M) agreed.

23. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanyama....another Southampton retread?

24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Nice pick-up, good business too if the price is accurate. Mason & Bentelab were just too big a drop in quality from Dier/Alli/Dembele.

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No opinion on the new guy (assuming it's true) because I haven't seen enough of him, but I agree with the second part.