Summa Summa Summa-Time... the Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Feb 8, 2017.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    The price tag is excessive. Is he ready for Juve? I've only watched him 10 times or so therefore it's hard for me to judge.

I don't think one should get an opinion of a player based on international tournaments, but hasn't really played that well in the U21s. He just had a pretty poor first half vs Spain in the semifinals.

2. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I was thrilled. We were on the verge of completing the signing Siqueiria (or however it's spelled) from Atletico, and we dropped the negotiations in order to move for Sandro.

3. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but F*CK Antonio Conte...

He walks out the door because of the club's transfer policy, and now he wants Chelsea to set a new signing record for a defender by signing our LWB. If the asshole would have just been a little bit more patient, then he could have been managing Alex Sandro already.

Now he wants Chelsea to spend stupid money in order to distract our players... he really is a prick.

juveeer, phat, Dante and 1 other person repped this.
  4. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Insane. We might as well just spend the 40m on Douglas Costa.

phat repped this.
  5. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Or not spend it at all ;)

gumbacicc and scirea6 repped this.
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or spend an extra €260 million and buy Fiorentina outright, shut down shop and sell everything!

7. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lol, I would put in some of my own money if necessary. Who do we have to talk to to make this happen? :D

phat repped this.
  8. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What's interesting is how often Porto FB's flopped when they moved to other clubs, like Pereira and Danilo himself, but Alex Sandro flourished when he moved to Juve.

I don't think that it was simply an accident or coincidence. I think it's the difference between Paratici & co versus the rest of the sporting directors in Italy. He can genuinely distinguish a player's quality and how they will fit into the team.

But eventually our luck will run out. Eventually we will replace a major signing with a flop. It's foolish for us to risk Alex Sandro, given the obvious paucity in world class fullbacks.

juveeer, Afghan-Juventus and phat repped this.
  9. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are you kidding? Here's my life's savings. Money well spent.

phat and juventino13 repped this.
  10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The way this transfer window is going, if we got no more news, i.e., Sandro stays and no new buys, it's good news. We'll see if Schick can be relied on in the coming season and sign a serviceable D. Alves replacement and move forward. Sorry if I'm not excited by anyone being discussed.

scirea6 repped this.
  11. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nah, I don't blame you, none of the names being mentioned give anything to be excited about

12. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Bernadeschi just scored... it was a deflection, but he just cut in from the outside and took it nearly to the opposite side of the box.

Earlier... he cut on a guy hard, made space, and drilled a very nice cross into the back of the box.

He doesnt look bad at all.. game changer? I dont know about that... but if 20 million gets you Lemina, maybe 40 million is not all that bad for a a very very young midfielder with a lot of potential.

I say sell Lemina, sell Asamoah, try to flip Stuaro... and your looking at only 10 million spent on Bernadeschi.

13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    40m for Costa is excessive too. Just because Bernadesci's price is excess doesn't mean this player doesn't have a big ceiling. His left foot is special.

Heck even Sandro isn't worth 70m. That is just the how the mercato is today.

14. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I agree with the assessment that Bernardeschi is a nice player. I'm just not sure he'll ever be special. I just don't see the point of signing a player who doesn't really have all that high a ceiling.

15. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    That is exactly the impression I get... He is quick, he is not lazy, he makes a lot of moves and he does not play afraid... he has decent skill on the ball and can play the ball into good spots, but he does not have anything past that currently...

for example, earlier he chased down an opponent and actually got in front of him and stole the ball, then he controlled it partially and brought it down before running into another player on the other team resulting in the ball going out of play.

a real game changer would have controlled the ball well on the first touch and then played a effective pass before running into the other guy, I am not sure he is capable of playing at that speed.

Also... earlier on that cross... he ran into space and recieved the ball which was good, but then he stopped the ball (still good), and then he cut back partially inside with it, and he took a touch by playing the ball like 2 feet in front of him and then played that great cross into his man running back post... that is a really far touch to play a ball away from you as you set up for a cross... that ball likely gets stolen.

I worry that his success is a result of playing against lesser players at a slower pace. I could easily see him bottling it in a CL game against a top 4 team.

16. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It's also a lot easier for a player to standout while playing for the mid-table purple rats.

Look at Cuadrado. People were labeling him 'world class' during his standout season at Fiorentina, and while I like him as a squad player, he's nothing close to world class.

That is often the case with their players, and if we're going to waste 40m euros, I'd rather give it Bayern for their bench player than give it Fiorentina for a player that proves to be nothing more than mediocre when they're finally surrounded by quality.

The only reason so many people on social media are so much more optimistic about Bernardeschi is because he's Italian and still with the U-21's. The last thing we need is Montolivo part 2, when people are still waiting for the player to fulfill his potential and describing him as "young", even when he's 28 years-old.

Dante and phat repped this.
  17. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    If Bernadeschi is 23... how is he playing in the u21 championships currently?

18. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because he was 21 at the time the qualifiers for the tournament began. It's very common for Italy's U-21 team to actually be U-23 by the time they actually compete in the finals.

thinredline10 repped this.
  19. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Why do you think Italy stopped producing world class players?

We seems to always have a rotation of young guys full of potential.. but they never really take the leap...

Marco is the only one who really stands out in the past few years.

Rugani does not look great this tournament at all.. I guess this is why he did not play very much.

Do you guys think Belotti will keep his form or do you think hes having a freak year like Ciro Immobile did at Torino?

I cant really think of anyone else that really has made the leap in a while.

20. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Belotti is better than Immobile, but he's still just an average striker

21. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It corresponds with the drop in quality of Serie A. When we were still the best league in the world, we were producing great talent. It hasn't been the case in the last decade or so.

22. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There are very few game changers in the history of the game nevermind currently and 40m doesn't buy you one.

They're looking for flexible midfielders who play on the wings. Costa and Bernadeschi are perfect examples of players that play on both wings and the AM role.

Higuain
    Costa - Dybala - Bernadeschi
    Pjanic - Nzonzi
    LB - Chiello - Bonucci - RB
    Superman

23. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Yes but they have consistently been a strong football country and there is a big drop off in results. These kids are playing against them selves growing up... the league is weaker so there is more chance for them to get first team action as well...

Cerri looks awful... he should be loaned back out somewhere where he can play on the regular.

And Rugani looks timid which really surprises me.

Bernadeschi does have a good left foot... especially from distance.

24. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'm not sitting Mandzukic for either Costa or Bernardeschi.

Afghan-Juventus and scirea6 repped this.
  25. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It's not as if there is no young talent. It just isn't as good as the crop we saw in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s where you could still argue that Serie A was the best.