Summa Summa Summa-Time... the Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Again, you had no clue how he would turn out. So will you change your tune if Bernardeschi gets valued at 160 million in three years?

2. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    And you still have no basis to say that we overpaid.

Regarding Bernardeschi, he has shown nothing to suggest he will get anywhere close to Dybala. I would love to be proven wrong. A young, Italian player developing into a world class player, sign me up.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stick to law, investing is all about risks and evaluating potential returns.

juveeer and gumbacicc repped this.
  4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    @Falc, you know that they say we lawyers are notoriously poor businessmen.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What was his career at the point we agreed to spend 40 million? That is all the basis needed. That he is turning out to be a very good player, a lot of that has to do with his development with Juve as has been the case with many players. He played Serie B for a provincial side in Palermo, was not on the radar for Argentina as a youth nor came from a big club there. His numbers were OK for Palermo, nothing outstanding. Your evaluation is of 17 September 2017. Mine is on what he was in June 2015. It was a gamble, not a sure thing.

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Has not been my problem.

7. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    He had scored almost a goal every two games for a mid-table side IN SERIE A, despite playing a withdrawn striker role. He showed incredible talent, despite having just turned 20 years of age. These players are thoroughly scouted. In light of his past performance and potential upside, 40M was the number they agreed on, luckily for us.

To say that solely is attributable to what we have done for him misstates what role coaching has in players of this caliber. Dybala was highly touted when Palermo was still in Serie B. It's not as if we turned this average player into a world class talent because he met Allegri and co.

You keep discussing gambling. Essentially, that is the business that Marotta and co. are in. However, it's more akin to the speculation that one does on the securities market. Having thoroughly scouted the player and taken into account his past performances, they make decisions on what the players value is. They clearly got this one right.

8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Good for you, but that wouldn't be the case if you were the one with the final say on the Dybala move.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re describing a risk assessment. They assessed his potential and worth and invested accordingly. Investing is legalized gambling.

St. Michael's Sword and gumbacicc repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Where was Dybala going on his last year in contract? He was not going to resign with Palermo. Zamparini tried to get an auction going but that did not happen. His performances against Juve were less than impressive. The kid had potential and that is why there was interest. But according to you, that potential was worth the 40 million. Bernardeschi has shown potential as well and has been part of the Azzurri youth program. Yet, he is not going anywhere in your opinion. Did Dybala light things up when he first played at Juve? Allegri brought him along, as he is doing with Bernardeschi. If anything, let's hope that Bernardeschi develops along as Dybala.

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Zamparini played hard ball and Juve conceded. Do you recall how long it took to make the deal? Don't bullshit me.

12. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It wasn't all potential. He scored quite a bit in that last season at Palermo and formed a brilliant partnership with Vasquez. Bernardeschi hasn't had the same body of work to date and doesn't appear as talented.

Dybala didn't light things up initially because he was competing with two others for a starting role. Ever since he has won the starting role, not only has he done well, but he has starred. I'd say he has carried us this season.

Regarding Bernardeschi, I didn't say he isn't going anywhere. I said he hasn't impressed me and I don't think he'll ever be more than an above-average player. I think he can help this team; but nothing he has shown to date suggests he will ever be able to make the same contributions Dybala is making. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And this continues to get away from the initial point. You just fail to admit you were wrong and keep reiterating this ridiculous opinion that we overspent on Dybala. We know that objectively false given Dybala's value on the market.

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He scored 10 goals his last season at Palermo. That makes 4 million per goal.

14. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He also played as the main striker with Palermo

15. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    13 in 34 appearances for a club that was just promoted. Not a bad return given that he isn't a poacher-type player. He's also scored over 50 goals in 100 appearances for us. Not too shabby.

16. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's been great in Serie A but in the champions league he needs to do better otherwise we're not going anywhere this year.

gumbacicc repped this.
  17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, stick to law, you’d make a terrible investor.

gumbacicc repped this.
  18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Art of negotiation. Good investors know about it. A better investment would have been at 20 million. That is what real investment is about. Buy low, sell high. Not buy high. Perhaps you should stick at not giving financial advice.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we can take your approach and stall, lose out to someone else and get zero in return. Sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Like I’ve said a couple times already, stick to law.

gumbacicc repped this.
  20. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And if my old man was anything to judge by, it's true.

21. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Missing out on Schick is starting to look pretty bad......

juveeer repped this.
  22. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    It would not have been that bad at all if we kept Kean... sending the kid out when all of our strikers current play on the field in this formation is a bit of a problem.

I guess having all of these wingers on the team allows us to push one of them into a bench role, but still.

oh well

23. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I mean Kean would have given us another option. However Schick is more talented imo.

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What did Schick or Kean do this weekend?

25. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They would rot on our bench that's for sure.

thinredline10 repped this.