SUM may grant MLS the FMF's 3rd slot to the Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Deleted USer, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is one of the reasons CL should cover both continents. With the addition of the top teams from NA this would be a great tournament that might match the Champions. Could you imagine the top two/three Mexican teams, top two MLS teams, Costarican Champion, Honduran champion, etc. Expand the tourney into 32 teams with the format like the WC. If its money they want imagine the revenue that would be generated. The US alone has 300million, largely middle class, and virtually untapped. Not to mention what Mexico already contributes

There would be many problems of course, like travel distance and legal red tape but it would be a great competition, and take away some of the useless tournaments we play.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thats what i was talking about for a while. A tournament like the Euro Champ. League.

Each country gets in depending on their size and pedigree.

3. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The problem I could see are imagine someone from Argentina having to fly to play Toronto during the mid week. Its not like they are flying to china or anything but would have to work out a scheduling solution like play a league game on Saturday and have this game be on Thursday or something. Also which confederation runs it? Both are greedy so it seems like there would be some tough negotiation. I'm sure there are many more things that could go wrong

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    def. that was a big reason why alot of teams feared going to like the US, and why league play in the MLS is a bitch, having to travel across the country constantly.

5. dmhines

dmhines Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and i would still not be surprised if the FMF is excited about giving up this spot . . . reason being, the $$$ from 3 slots is probably less than what they are projecting from 2 spots (if the MLS is included). of course not immediately, but down the road they are thinking that further tapping the US tv market will be a win-win for all concerned. IMO, this is much the same reason they included mexico in the first place.

lets be realistic, i don't know the $$$ involved, but having a tourney in latin america that excludes mexico is going to generate a hell of a lot less than one that includes it, same logic leads to the inclusion of the MLS.

but, i am still against the interliga. that tourney is worthless . . . IMO, why have a tourney to decide was the regular season already did? and hearing that the MLS wants to do something of the same just makes me nuts . . . (ok yea i know i was off topic)