Successful Deep Through Passes--Why and How

Discussion in 'Coach' started by rca2, Oct 17, 2017.

1. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    By happenstance I ran across this excellent tactical discussion of deep penetrating passes and wanted to share it. While I expect this is nothing new to many of you, I rarely find good tactical articles on line. Enjoy.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/05/12/tactical-theory-vertical-build-up-passing/

This article concerns tactics in the 11v11 senior game, but the article's discussion would apply to any system with three lines.

What I was googling for was articles about rotational systems. Not subbing, but how coaches manage player interchange of positions within their system of play. An example would be a 3-player circular rotation (such as right striker-right center midfielder-right midfielder in a 442 system). Anybody seen any good articles?

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    spielverlagerung posts very thoughtful articles. I like his stuff. I was up at 3 am last night reading his post on Positional Play (again).

I've only read some of the link you posted, because it's really long, but the only thing I can echo is that after that long vertical pass, the receiver has to be supported. long-short-short-long.

rca2 repped this.