Sub -21 MEXICO Tournament Toulon [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by FMF_LFP, May 13, 2006.

1. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Did Rivas Mortera play already?

2. Necaxista

Necaxista New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Cuernavaca
    Club:
    Club Necaxa
    Nat'l Team:
    Namibia
    Yes, he's a starter at Tigres now. Scored two goals at the clasico a couple of weeks ago.

3. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Has anybody been watching the games this time around? I know the reason the tournament is so estimed is because it always showcases and 'discovers' players who in a few years or less are on top of the football world (though like Paul_NL said they're usually known beforehand usually from the U-17 and U-19 FIFA tournaments), but I can't remember an edition since 97 where I've seen any team play attractive football or something that vaguely resembles it. Every year every team seems to use heavy reliance on speed, sending the ball up as fast as possible and tackles with a dose of malice even the teams who are better known for the excellent touch of the ball. I don't know perhaps the smaller field sizes, lack of time together as a group or competition amongst players of possibly getting noticed by big European clubs come into play, but in the FIFA U-17 & U-19 tournaments there appears more sound teams and is a better measure of quality.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I know the USMNT went 3 and out.

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I saw the finally minutes of the Italy v USA match.

Here is a link to the wiki page for:

2008 Toulon Tournament

6. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    like they usually do, I caught a bit of the Italy-US match on FSC and it was all excuses from the two guys doing the play-by-play, I don't understand the apologetic mentality of the spazzos.

7. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    USA NT went 3 and out?!

HAHAHAHA!!! like always. no suprise there :D

anyone know why Mexico didn't particapte?

my uncle told me it was because Chucho asked not to go because he is with the Senior NT

but i couldn't find any links or articles which stated that, so i'm not too sure

8. braulio

braulio New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Louisiana
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I watched a couple of games. The US really did poorly. The game against Italy could have been much worse for them if Italy had kept at the attack and didn't shift into bunkering.

I did see the game between France and Japan and I was shocked at how the Japanese ran circles around the French on their turf. Japan really surprised me.

I have no idea why Mexico wasn't there--- they should have been.

9. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    The Toulon Festival is an invitational tournament, Mexico wasn't invited I suppose, they played a couple years ago(or was it last year?) and they didn't do any good either.

10. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Chilenos are looking good. They also did well in the last u-20 WC no?

11. braulio

braulio New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Louisiana
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah, the final will be Chile v Italy. Italy sucked against Japan today (0-0) and it had to be decided by penalties.

Italy has good players but they were not functioning as a team on the field.

final should be interesting -- Chile should win:D

12. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I'll be pulling for Chile.

I have come to know Chilean and respect players who have played in the MFL over the years.

During the World Cup and other international tournaments, I tend to cheer on Chile, that is as long as they are not matched up against Mexico.

13. braulio

braulio New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Louisiana
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am with you here, but I just read in another forum that Chile will be missing four starters due to yellow cards and injuries....Italy will have all their starters.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Italy won 1-0

15. Tecos

Tecos Member+