Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stuff I'm Not Writing About

By Bill Archer on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    During the last World Cup I wrote about how Mexico fans need to grow the hell up and drop the "p**o" bit before FIFA grows a pair and forces them to. A day or so later, FIFA gutlessly decided to go along with the "quaint, indeed almost charming, local tradition" theory of homophobic insults, thus avoiding having to do something which would divert media attention away from the glorious pageantry of sportsmanship, love and fair play which is the quadrennial FIFA Cash-a-Palooza.

What did happen however was that a whole bunch of wretchedly stupid fans of said team filled the response thread with a) laughable explanations of why using a gay slur is perfectly acceptable and b) descriptions of anatomically impossible acts which I should go ahead and perform on myself.

What I also got was a bunch of private messages from other Mexico fans saying "those guys don't speak for all of us", to which my reaction was "yes they do if they're the only ones saying anything."

So here we are two years later and FIFA has finally decided to get serious about it - they have now fined the FMF an impressive 8 times for this behavior - and, this having had no discernible effect, they have now installed cameras aimed at Mexico supporters sections in order to monitor fan behavior, as they now routinely do when dealing with lowlife fan groups known for violent and/or racist behavior.

A truly proud day for Mexican soccer.

After the first ConFedCup match last week, when the "p**o" chant came across loud and clear despite the fines and the pleading of the FMF and the players themselves, the Chairman of FIFA's Disciplinary Committee Anin Yeboah, (a Ghanaian Supreme Court Justice if anyone cares) instituted a three step program which, after an initial warning, instructs the referee to stop the game and issue a final warning to the fans.

If it happens again the referee is instructed to declare the match suspended.

The fans apparently got the message against New Zealand that FIFA is done screwing around with this garbage - the "p**o" chant was blessedly unheard.

This doesn't mean, of course, that Mexico fans have decided to grow up, join the 21st Century and stop using vile homophobic insults, only that they've decided not to intentionally throw away a shot at winning the Cup for the sake of proving whatever point they think they've been making.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to be writing about this because I just don't feel like wading through another stack of ridiculous justifications like "it isn't an insult", "it doesn't mean gay prostitute" and, my favorite "it's really a friendly term which we sometimes call each other, like 'dude' " since a) yes it is, b) yes it does, and c) so thousands of fans in the Azteca earlier this month were calling Brad Guzan "dude"?

Next someone will tell me that throwing bananas at black players is an expression of concern for whether they're getting enough potassium in their diets.

It's had a good run. Now it's time to stop. But you won't hear that from me.

And while I'm not on the subject, I also won't be writing about the Confederations Cup.

Partly because no one cares including, apparently, Germany, which sent a side no one could confuse with the actual German National Team.

Mostly though, because this unloved tournament is going away after this year. Giananni Infantino claims they'll examine their options when the time comes but, in reality, everybody knows the score.

For one thing, it's only possible because it's held after the European leagues close for the summer, but in four years, with Qatar as the host, a June tournament is out of the question for the same reason they moved the main event to December in the first place.

And a December Confederations Cup would require lengthy player releases, which is a non-starter.

The guessing is that if they decide Qatar needs some kind of dry run event they'll have them host the FIFA Club World Cup.

Four years after that, in World Cup Norte Americano '26, there won't be any new venues that FIFA will need to shake down. As Sunil Gulati famously said back when South Africa 2010 looked like it was in trouble, the US can host a World Cup with six weeks notice.

We won't be opening any new stadiums and nobody needs to check and see whether AT&T stadium in Dallas has decent media and telecom facilities or whether there are enough hotel rooms and restaurants near Soldier Field or if MetLife Stadium has sufficient road, rail and air access. Waste of time.

In any case, the real problem, as illustrated this year in Russia, is that there are too many games that the locals don't want to watch and fans won't pay thousands and thousands of dollars to travel to.

So since the ConFedCup has one foot in the grave anyway, I'm not wasting my time writing about it.

Finally, in the "I Have Not the Strength Dept.", I give you Qatar, where the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, which is responsible for delivering the stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup, has delivered a most curious stadium feature:

A "Sensory Room".

Because the "general match day atmosphere" is "overwhelming" to some fans, a room in the brand new Khalifa International stadium has been fitted with "noise cancellation materials, soft furnishings, mood lighting, relaxing music and brightly-colored toys and equipment". These features are designed to manage anxiety and allow fans to watch the match from a "more welcoming and sedate" vantage point.

That is to say, on TV.

Since I have no desire to appear insensitive to people with cognitive disabilities who find attending soccer games to be overwhelming, I won't be pointing out that I can think of at least one other place where a fan could watch a match on TV in comfortable, "non-threatening and sedate" environs:

At home.

Why would someone pay to fly to Qatar, book an expensive hotel room and shell out for a pricey World Cup ticket package so that they can watch the games on TV?

So because I clearly don't understand the whole thing, I'm just not saying a word about it.

phat, blissett, dredgfan and 1 other person repped this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bill Archer, Jun 27, 2017.

1. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

This would help if you and Dure were actually homosexuals, especially Latin ones, then I'd give your arguments more respect. But you guys came off as caucasians butting their noses where they didn't belong.

Ultimately it is up to FIFA, the Mex Fed and all authorities involved. This issue isn't important enough to me to contact them over it, so you guys can have at it all you want. Good luck.

If you win, that's great, especially for the gays that do get hurt when hearing that. So who knows what will happen, I can't think of any word more fun to say at the GK.

Maybe "dummy", "naco", who knows. I'm sure a word will replace it, Mexicans love to have fun at the ol ballpark, I can't see them not saying something to that dastardly GK who has the nerve to block our shots from going in.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

How do you know that neither Beau, nor I, are or aren't Hispanic homosexuals?

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

Wait, wait, wait ... so you're saying if Mexican homosexuals complained, you'd stop?

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

Who gave me a yellow card? I didn't receive a PM or anything.

Yes, I would definitely stop if an actual Hispanic homosexual told me to. Am I not allowed to say this, who gave me my yellow?

@Andy You didn't say if you were or not, it helps in arguments to identify where you are coming from.

I broke no rules here, why do I have a yellow with no explanation

5. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
      NYC
      Club:
      Arsenal FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

IOW, thanks for proving my point.

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

I don't think any point you were trying to make held water. It looked like you were trying to compare Mex fans to racist Eastern Europeans, which is completely wrong.

Still waiting for the yellow card explanation, any minute now. I thought we were owed an explanation if ever infracted.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

IMG_6333.JPG IMG_6334.JPG

Wow it's seem you white christians have a bigger problem then Mexicans screaming ********.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
    8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

Most definitely. I think there's a Politics forum at BigSoccer. You should check it out.

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

I wonder how his non white non
      Christian teammates think about that? Or his non white, Christian, male fans think.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
    10. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
      NYC
      Club:
      Arsenal FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Missing the forest for the trees is the story of your life hey m8?

So you can go ahead and deny you ever said what amounted to the yellow card infraction...?

11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

No it isn't, kid.
      Well, I haven't been informed why. Usually there's a PM telling us what rule we broke. I received no PM.

I hope it's not for this thread, I kept it 100 this whole time. So now Beau and Andy will probably move their efforts elsewhere, and I support them. Protests outside of Atlas-GDL games could be a start. Contacting Latin Fox Sports, maybe they can discuss this on The Last Word.

More power to yall. Peace.

12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

He was burned to a crisp on Twitter.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

Ya but what does Geoff Cameron think?

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

I have many interesting thoughts on politics and how they are expressed by athletes. That should get my readership back down to the low single digits

AndyMead repped this.
    15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

I find that it's more manageable that way.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

I personally don't make up my mind on anything until I hear from a committee composed of Carli Lloyd, the dude from Galaxy II who griped about a "war on white Christian males" on Twitter, and Dennis Rodman.

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

You forgot Geoff Cameron.

18. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
      Perth, Australia
      Club:
      Perth Glory
      Nat'l Team:
      Australia

Africa is a big continent, there are places they could comfortably hold a June/July tournament.

19. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
      Club:
      CF Rayados de Monterrey

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Looking at the link you posted. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work as it looks like part of the link contains a word that BigSoccer's censor replaced with asterisks

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

Here's what the link said:

For the first time in quite some time, the “********” chant being in the news isn’t directly related to a Mexican national team match. The chant–widely considered homophobic and disdained by FIFA and CONCACAF–was heard in the stands at Levi’s Stadium during last night’s Gold Cup final, which saw the US beat Jamaica 2-1 on a late Jordan Morris goal.

The chant has been almost exclusively an issue during games featuring El Tri, with some South American fans also catching on to it. It appears that spread has now moved north towards the United States. Despite no primarily Spanish-speaking countries being involved in the final, the chant was still present, which raises questions about possible reprimands. Will FIFA speak out against USA or Jamaica fans with the same passion that they did Mexican fans? Will they ignore it as a one-time incident? And will the US ever stop appropriating everyone else’s culture?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

That game was two weeks ago, are you posting by telegraph?

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

Didn't check this site in 2 weeks, it's summer and I have a life.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

The answer to the last question: Probably not, given our admittedly fraying but still vibrant "melting pot" culture, and when you've seen an Olympic opening ceremony in Italy in which Iran's athletes walk out to the Village People, you know everyone is appropriating us as well.

The other two questions are big ones. And current. I heard it at the MLS All-Star Game. What the hell?