Study Abroad in the USA

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Andy F, Nov 6, 2008.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yup - pretty much. For undergarduate programs, so long as its a reputable university (and both of these are), its not really important. Unless, of course, you got into Harvard or the like. :)

2. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So, i've just been offered a place at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign starting in August for the academic year. Had originally applied for Emory University but with about a gazilion applications for it and fewer for UIUC I was asked whether I would mind changing. Had been a tough decision between them so said I wouldn't mind.

Pretty much have the weekend to decide whether to take up the offer. Decisions, decisions.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Congrats Andy, great news.

4. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks. Will have to get the calculator out and see how much it's looking at costing. If I can afford it without bankrupting myself then I think i'll give it a go. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If you do take it (and I highly reccomend spending some time abroad if you get the chance), have a great time. And remember - with your accent you'll kill with the women. ;)

6. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well? Any word? I am actually going to either UIUC or Auburn for my Masters.

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Auburn eh?

Good little school, but its in the middle of nowhere.

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's why the graduate school is great. I can get my comp sci degree from Pittsburgh and only have to travel to Alabama twice a year to meet with advisors and professors.

10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Auburn have a Masters in Couch Potato? Where do I sign up :D

11. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ooh, didn't realise this had been upped.

I plumped for and was accepted by UIUC but ultimately, I couldn't afford it. On sitting down and rigorously going through the expected costs, the outlay would have only been possible if I relied on my parenst for living expenses which I didn't feel was fair to them at the minute. The shitty £ to the $ certainly didn't help.

I haven't abandoned the idea though and with my placement year coming up next year, my school offers the chance to split it up and firstly study for 6 months abroad, then work for the following 6 months, either at home or abroad. This is something i'll be looking into over the next few weeks as I would be able to fund myself if it was only the 6 months, especially with a guaranteed income to come.

The schools offered are different now though, from memory they consist of:

- University Central Florida
    - University Cincinatti
    - University North Texas
    - North Carolina State University

Canada was also an option iirc:

- Brock University
    - Ryerson University

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Canada's university system has exploded in the last 10 years as a lot of Americans have realized how much cheaper it is to go north.

I love that you said, "The shitty £ to the $ certainly didn't help." It's currently something like 1.6 to 1. I remember right before Sept 11 when it was nearly 1 to 1. Then again I remember gas being .99 then too.

13. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know it was over 2 to 1 a couple years ago when I ordered my Chelsea kit.

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just because I'm a boring bastard:

[​IMG]

15. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Awesome. I apparently got my kit at the worst possible time in the last decade.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BTW, if this is still relevant, I wouldn't bother listening to Kaz. He presently resides here...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDDYQlmq0w"]YouTube- kentucky fried movie take him to detroit unedited[/ame]

:D

I keeed, I keeed. :)