Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep...Wenger be done at AFC. I hope we win the league cup as a farewell trophy.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might have a better chance of UEL trophy. Unless Bristol City can pull off the biggest upset since ???

Shoot, let's take both cups and give Wenger no reason not to leave!!! :D

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    or the reassurance that he's still up to the task. ;) ... :oops: ... :mad:

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  5. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he is a grandpa to his players with all the candy and no accountability. The post Highbury period is emblematic of that. He had no real money so he gave them candy.

Fifty and cantona94 repped this.
  6. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts too. He lets them get away with anything. They also generally know they will always play no matter what.

Romfordray repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Also fat pay to dross players under his pay structure

What's not to like.

8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Strange people still say he had no money. Arsenal's wages were almost the same as United until Fergie's retirement.

cantona94 repped this.
  9. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is amazing to me when I see people still try to defend him. I just don't have any words for them. It's like talking to a brick wall.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is hot nonsense:

[​IMG]

Only in one year (2006-2007) were Arsenal's wages anywhere close to United's. United's wage bill has consistently ranged from 15-20% higher.

And that ignores transfer spending: Arsenal's transfer spending was practically zero those years while United spent 30 million every window.

There's valid criticisms to be made about Wenger, but spouting untruths for the likes of cantona to latch on to just makes the signal to noise ratio here worse.

11. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I'm not latching on to the money thing. I don't agree with the amounts and whatnot although I do think we had far more money than Wenger wanted to let on to or rather let go. I'm just commenting on how I don't see how anyone can really defend the guy anymore, it's like talking to brick walls. Appreciate the acknowledgement though, THANKS!!

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The point isn't to defend Wenger: it's to be fair in both one's analysis and criticism.

And, as much criticism as Wenger deserves for certain things, the job he did up until 2013 was phenomenal: it's unusual for teams to build stadiums in Europe. Only other team I can think of that tried it in Europe and pulled if off is Juventus, and the Emirates cost three times as much. Give credit where it's due (keeping the team in the CL at a time when missing out would have been a financial disaster), and blame where that's due (poor squad planning in the last five years, an inability to build a functioning midfield, poor tactical instruction as the league has gotten more rigid positionally).

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still think he could’ve done better with his team composition

Even when we were poor surely a better gk than almunia was available or a hokding cm?

Books were managed well but now we are waiting for the promise of competing with top clubs to be close to fulfilled

14. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Ronaldo sale kept United's net spend very low for a long time so not sure why you would bring that into the discussion.

Otherwise, it ranges from nothing in 06-07 to 13% in 2012 and 20% in 2010.

Compared to the difference between United and Chelsea earlier, and later United and City in wages until 2013, it is a lot less.

We are not discussing something new here and was brought up a lot even back then - he had the wages to compete at least regularly in the league but wasted a lot of it on a more equitable structure.

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pulling numbers from transfermarkt, United's net transfer spend from the beginning of the 2005/2006 season to the end of 2012/2013 season, when Fergie retired, United spent a net of 176 million in transfers. That's taking the sale of Ronaldo into account.

Over the same time frame, Arsenal made a profit of 30 million on transfers (doing the numbers in my head, so could be off by a million or two).

It's hard to take you seriously when you're ignoring a difference of over 200 million quid in transfer spending.

Fifty, DaPrince84, Shen-O and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seriously do not believe that do you?

Truth is we were dead broke after 2008 up until like a year ago. Like mebesajid says, give him credit where it is due. He helped build a stadium and kept us in competition but it was a different world back then. He still had that aura of the invincibles lighting his a$$ up and could attract elite young talent. Now it is a different world. Many more teams to splurge cash around and ready to stockpile young talent.

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exhibit 1 of that period was Arshavin's belly.

cantona94 repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger benched Arshavin. Took a while, but he did bench him. Also, Arshavin was really good for his first 18 months at Arsenal.

19. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Marco Silva...get him in at the end of the season.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why not just go full 98 degrees and sign Nick Lachey?

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  21. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

At that point, he could no longer run.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure why I'm here as I've been away for so long, allowing Atlanta United to be the balm for my festering Arsenal wounds, but good grief. So much wrong at the club Arsene has driven me to apathy.

Sorry I've nothing new or unique to add. Simply looking for someplace to sulk after today's loss and watching this transfer window take shape.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure why I'm here as I've been away for so long, allowing Atlanta United to be the balm for my festering Arsenal wounds, but good grief. So much wrong at the club Arsene has driven me to apathy.

Sorry I've nothing new or unique to add. Simply looking for someplace to sulk after today's loss and watching this transfer window take shape.

cantona94 repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me thinks a lot of people misuse the word "apathy" when talking about their relationship with the club these days.

Most times I think better words would be "disappointment", "frustration", "disgust", "anger", "hopelessness", or something else.

But to be apathetic means you don't care. And most of the people who say they're apathetic about Arsenal, come back to this board to talk about the club and it's issues.

They care. They still have emotions for this team. Which is good. If they really didn't, they wouldn't come back to talk about our crappy situation.

This team and it's large number of caring fans are badly in need of a new era... one that sadly isn't likely possible until the boss leaves.

25. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States