Stephen Ireland's Grandmother

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Father Ted, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Alive and well apparently:

Wrong one? Ok then, the other one:
    No, she is fine too:
    The truth:
    I feel for the young lad and the missus but no need to tell lies.

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not to sound harsh but if he's prepared to lie about him grandmum who's to say he's not lying about the girlfriend?

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agreed - I know I wouldn't want to be placed in the position to choose between my family and my team. Quite sad.
    :(

4. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I have a 100% sympathy for the lad and my thoughts are with him and his girl!

I think this is just a case were one lie led to another and it got out of control. Lets not act like we're whiter than white here, Im sure we have all lied before thinking that it was the right thing to do.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Dude noone should be bitches about this.

This is a big deal and he left the team for a good reason.

6. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    that was also my first thought on friday when i heard the story.

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    From The Fiver today:

"In the heady days of Irish football under Big Jack, players were mercilessly exploiting their dear old grannies in order to play for Ireland. It shows how far we've fallen when we now have players mercilessly exploiting their grannies to get out of playing for Ireland"

Class..........:D

8. celticeire

celticeire Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I don't have sympathy or believe him. This is not the first time he has lied and been caught. He lied when he was a U19 and here he has lied at least twice more. I simply don't believe the player.

He is a promising player which makes it such a pity he is so untrustworthy. Maybe Richard Dunne can pull him aside and talk some sense into this idiot before he pisses his whole football career away.

9. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Neither do I. If indeed his other half had lost their unborn child I'm sure that would be more than valid reason to be excused. So why lie? Has he got some compulsive lying problem?

Not to mention the hurt and embarrasment he caused his family in front of the entire country.

10. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    And what do you know, it appears he's withdrawn again......

11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "I have thought long and hard about whether I would do my country and myself justice if I joined up with the squad. Unfortunately, I don't believe I would on this occasion.

"The support I have received from Mr Staunton and the FAI has been excellent and everybody at Manchester City has also been superb. However, I do not believe I can make a positive contribution to our efforts to qualify."

Manchester City Manager Sven-Goran Eriksson added: “This is disappointing for everybody. Steve Staunton and I have been working together to help Stephen through a period which he is clearly finding very difficult. We together have left no stone unturned in our efforts to convince him he has so much to offer his country and that international football will greatly benefit his long term career."

I really don't know what to think. The lad seems to lack stability. In any case, he is burning bridges. Hard to see him get another callup in the foreseeable future.

12. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    it's too bad, cause he's pretty good and still really young

13. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    I think he needs professional help (and I'm not saying that in a nasty way).

His behaviour has been bizarre to say the least.

14. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What a big baby he is. Forget him. I hope I never see him play for Ireland again.

15. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What was the real story with him and Brian Kerr? Did Kerr not kick him off the underage team because of some sort of behavioral problems?

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not fair, FT. The kid is obviously having problems and is struggling. Just because it's a mental affect doesn't mean it's not as valid as a broken leg; the difference, of course, is that you can 'see' a broken leg.

Yes, I know, he kitting out for City, but there's obviously a problem. He's a kid who's had more than a few problems in his life - some/many self-inflicted - but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

EDIT: Charlton treated McGrath with similar type of kid gloves during his battle with the bottle. For all of Staunton's faults and failings, the handling of Ireland here has shown maturity, eschewing, as he did, the easy road of bollocking him from pillar to post. It would appear Ireland is more of a carrot than stick man.

17. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
  18. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We all have problems in everyday life but the show must go on. He needs to cop on and grow up a bit. Mind you that must be hard with him grieving over 2 dead grandmothers and his girlfriend's supposed miscarriage.

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    But that's my point. If he had a broken leg, you wouldn't tell him to grow up and get on with things; but because it's a mental thing, it's considered acceptable? A mental affect can be an extraordinary debilitating thing, but frequently it's not regarded as such because it can't be 'seen'.

Some years ago, the moron that is Cathal Dervan took a lot of stick because he suggested that Roy Keane had nothing to be concerned about when diagnosed with depression. Dervan's attitiude was, "He's making plenty of money, married with kids, got a nice house and a good car, and plays in front of 70,000 people every week - what's he got to be depressed about?" He was completely oblviious to how debilitating and destructive depression can be.

So, yes, on the face of it, Stephen Ireland 'looks' fine, but he's obviously not. And he shouldn't need a suicide attempt or to have to spazz out in his local supermarket to prove it.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And then again, maybe not........Jeez doesn't this story just get better and better? :p

Now it appears as if he was pissed off because the boys took the piss out of him because he may have had......a hair transplant!!!

Fuck me, if this proves out, he'll never live this one down on any terrace.

21. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    I don't think there's any 'may' about it.;)
    [​IMG]

22. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Dear God, I really think he's lost the plot now.

[​IMG]

23. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I saw it on TV and from the angle they showed I didn't even notice until the post match highlights.

24. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's a disgrace. First the grandmother lies, then the jokes about the hair. Now this? He needs to grow up a little. And how can he turn it on week in week out for Man City while he feels slighted by his Ireland teammates over his hair?

25. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dunne should put his boot up his ass