Stealing The North Carolina Governor's Election

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The theists in PC&E have just won one. This sounds like evidence of a powerful & loving being.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I would be delighted to share the powerful loves of Jessica and Ashley, ideally simultaneously. Gotta check with my wife first. I'll get back to you on what she says.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REIN REIN REIN

American Brummie repped this.
  4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you read what Kennedy wrote in LULAC and his specific concerns about these types of cases? I realize that Professors Stephanopolous and McGhee devote an entire section of their article to address those specific concerns, and while I find their arguments convincing and am hopeful that others will similarly find them convincing, I'm just not as confident as they are that Kennedy will agree. That was the point of my comment.

crazypete13 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The legislature had a special session yesterday to pass legislation regarding relief after Hurricane Matthew.

But then the legislature called itself into another special session, which started about an hour ago. Legislative leaders promise they won't be packing the Supreme Court. However, there are rumors that they're going to transfer powers from the (Democratic) governor-elect to the (Republican) lieutenant governor, because reasons.

The N&O article, with quotes, suggests the GOPs are just going to roll back some environmental protections. I guess they think either that McCrory will sign it and Cooper won't, or that they won't be able to overturn a veto with the new, slightly more Democratic legislature.

I hope that's all it is. Because if they're going to take powers that have been the governor's for time immemorial and give it to the LG, it's like when a lion tastes human flesh. Once they've tasted that kind of arbitrary, 3rd world exercise of power, they aren't going to be able to go back to democratic norms.

And that's why I think that the Democratic party has to consider this a fight to the death. For little d democracy. If they get a chance to gerrymander the GOPs unfairly, do it. If they have a chance to restrict absentee voting, do it. If they have a chance to diminish the political clout of pro-GOP groups, do it. This isn't an 18th century war with strict rules, wars that were never conclusive. This is modern warfare, where it's win or be utterly subjugated.

And I'll be supporting candidates with that same mentality.

Knave repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh. Early reports are that it's a naked power grab that would look bad if Hussein had tried this crap. It ain't about getting a couple of bills that barely missed in the regular session through.

The interesting thing is that bills can be vetoed. McCrory is going to get a position in the Trump administration. He may want to veto these awful bills just to keep a headache off of Trump's desk.

Moral Mondays are going to be very interesting this year, and they'll probably have at least one extra participant.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to refresh y'all's memory on HB2.

Charlotte passed an ordinance regarding trans people and bathrooms. The state legislature and the governor wanted to overrule that so they called a special session. Then the bill became a "Christmas tree" bill, where everyone added their special snowflakes/wish list items. Leaving aside the merits of each provision of the bill, the process was TERRIBLE. Nobody knew what they were voting on. It was a total fustercluck.

That's what is happening here. The lege was in town for the Matthew relief bill. I'll bet that GOP leaders got together informally last weekend or whenever and hatched this plot. Now, every GOP legislator with an idea on how to transfer power from Democratic controlled entities (the state supreme court and the governor) to GOP controlled entities (the legislature, LG, or State Appeals Court) is proposing his/her pet bill. You hope that the leadership will get control of the process, but they're amateurs and they didn't do it wrt HB2.

The thing is, the proposals are completely naked partisanship; there's not even a pretense of a philosophy behind them. It really is stuff that would make Putin blush. (For example, county boards of elections had one local Dem, one local GOP, and a governor's appointee to break ties. Now they're going to have 2 GOPs and 2 Dems. Why? They're going to move certain types of cases from the NCSC to the NC Court of Appeals. Why?) I'll tell you who is going to be one busy son of a bitch, is the new NC AG, because every bill passed is probably going to create a lawsuit. Luckily the AG is a Democrat.

sitruc repped this.
  8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to win the state legislatures back in 2018 and 2020 and then strip the franchise of every single person who registers with the GOP.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Law school classmate of mine. Good guy and a really good striker for our law school club team --- I recall assisting a goal or two of his back in the day. ;)

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather he be a total ************************.
    I'm trying to figure out if you're parodying me, or if this is your cry of anguish.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My cry of anguish. The table showing GOP support for Putin broke me.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit. One proposal is for a GOP and a Dem to rotate control of the county boards of elections.

How are they going to rotate, you might ask?

Show Spoiler

The GOPs will get control in even numbered years, the Dems in the useless odd numbered years.

I'd call it cartoonish, but there are some pretty damn sophisticated cartoons nowadays.
    NSFW

You lasted a hell of a lot longer than me, brother.

sitruc repped this.
  13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is corruption in the classical sense of political disease ...

sitruc, Gamecock14 and American Brummie repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mccrory failed his character test so now he's all set for his appointment in the Trump administration.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Oh, geez. It's North Carolina. It's not important.

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    NC is key according to the Electoral college and after their ********ed up voting law changes, other states followed suit. It sets precedents

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It just takes up space. We should trade it for something better.

American Brummie repped this.
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It is the better Carolina. We should sell South Carolina and West Virginia. Sure BP would pay a nice price for it.

song219 repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We should trade the to Central America for Costa Rica and a banana republic to be named later.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relegate South Carolina to territory status, and promote Puerto Rico to the top flight.

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Now you're talking. We could give WV back to Virginia then add Jamaica. Jamaicans have great music and food. Then trade NC for Newfoundland.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Virginia doesn't want more of West Virginia's problems. Let Ohio and Kentucky have them.

yossarian and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you put that evil on Ohio, Rickie Bobby.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure any more. Dead serious. Incredibly sad.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Cheer up. You still have Duke basketball.

superdave repped this.