statement regarding 1906 ultras protest

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, if you stay away, the team might get moved to Hou.. oh wait.

2. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    I love when life imitates Spinal Tap...

"Smell the Glove" anyone?

3. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    interesting point of view, and might hold true if seattle's supporters werent doing the same thing:

take them all
    watch them fall
    line em up against a wall and shoot em
    short and tall
    watch them fall

cmon boys take them all

seattle shouldnt be complaining if thats whatthey wish to sing., i may as well lodge a formal complaint about their singing songs about killing our players.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the Ultra/FO spat has nothing to do with it.

After three + years in a craptastic stadium the fans patience is wearing thin.

5. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    "There's a fine line between clever and..."

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the pro-censorship brownshirts need any help, 451 degrees farenheit is the temperature at which tifos are burned.

7. MikeyGQuakes

MikeyGQuakes New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole point is to intimidate, I thought. Did not David Kaval himself state on Demolition Day that he wanted the Quakes fans to have their own home, where they could impose their will on visiting sides? How did he imagine that would happen, by singing love songs?

Taken out of context, I can certainly see how the tifo would be considered inappropriate, but anyone who knows anything about the relationships these teams have to each other would instantly see that it had everything to do with the game. The most important thing to my thinking is not whether it was appropriate or not, but rather was the reaction by the front office constructive or not. Clearly not. As an ordinary fan, what has gotten me coming back again again has been the knowledge that the Ultras would be there, to lead us cheering our club, to make us laugh with the mad antics. It's just not a football match, for me at any rate, without them.

I may have apprehended this wrong, as I am looking from the outside in, but I can understand that the FO wants to keep the noise up, but keep things as watered down as possible, so as not to offend any partners or potential partners, and see the Ultras as a painful indulgence at best, and a threat at worst. I can also see that the Ultras are the most committed fans we have, are working to make the football experience as intense and exciting and unique as possible, and that many have the perception, right or wrong, that the FO is at war with them.

One of the most telling moments for me in this whole sad affair has been the response from a woman on Facebook to a discussion about this, saying, in effect, that 'you don't see Ultras at Sharks or Giants games.' Isn't that precisely the point, that football is different?

I personally wish that both sides would take a deep breath, accept they need each other, and work out a deal in the matter, for the good of the team. I'll just close with this: Just before leaving the railing where I stood at the end of the match, I spied an Earthquakes player (I will not name him) walking past on the pitch headed for the tunnel, and I shouted "Give us back our Ultras". And he looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. 'Nuff said.

8. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tifo was in poor taste... and it was funny. Which is what supporter's groups do. Yeah, it probably crossed the line; hell, it erased the line, but a 5 game "probation"? How do you enforce a "probation". Ban the Ultras from entering future games if they break "probation"? Way to drive up attendance #s. By the way, the less than 9K crowd looked and sounded awful last night on TV and from the sounds of it, just as bad if not worse in person. I was one of the handful watching via justin.tv and the comments there aside from an ongoing convo about Indian women (??) were negative about the crowd. Gee, Ultras sitting on their hands have anything to do with that?

There is a lot of posturing taking place here in this thread; this thread is real life as we are seeing, hearing and reading about reactions to the "probation": I'll take the "" off "probation" when someone can give me a clear explanation of what a supporter's group "probation" is. Long time Quakes supporters are threatening to stop attending. Recent supporters are threatening the same. I think the FO over-reacted to a Seattle supporter and in try to look "corporate" enough, are "cleansing" the Ultras for the good of the soccer mom and dads who think their children have virgin ears and minds. Hey, folks, your kids cruise the internet, talk crap in the schoolyard and sext back and forth before jr. high school. I don't think a tacky Tifo and a few f-bombs are going to deflower their innocence. And it is a professional sporting event. I know there is an Epicenter for the kids to play in, but be realistic...quit sitting on your hands, sipping your wine cooler or what not and get off your asses and support the club.

Everyone should take a deep breath, reassess their emotional reactions to this "probation" (it's not a free speech issue as Congress has not abridged the free speech rights of the Ultras). The FO needs to get their heads out of their asses and setup a convo with the supporters; the supporters need to get their heads out of their asses and respond. Both groups have something in common...a desire for the club to succeed on the pitch and off.

And last point: if Seattle fans can sing about players being maimed and taken off the pitch in ambulences AT Buck Shaw, could you explain to me why the Seattle supporter group that came to Buck Shaw are also not on probation? Hey, Quakes FO, have you actually listened to the ever so delicate Seattle supporter's chants and songs? That complaint that came from a Seattle supporter...hey, Quakes FO, you fell hook, line and sinker and have embarrassed the organization for falling for it. Seriously. Seattle is laughing it's collective ass at SJ. Way to go, hey hey San Jose. Thanks, Mr. Kaval. Great moral boost for the troops. Give a shite what a Seattle fan thinks, not what SJ fans do. That's what happens when you hire a NON-soccer exec.

9. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the problem. The Quakes FO is catering to HER and not to the soccer fans. They want her (Muffie), husband (Biff) and 2.3 kids to attend the games, eat lots of food, buy lots of goodies and go home having had a great time at the "event". Oh, yeah, by the way, Biff, do you remember the score? Did we win?

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's more complicated than that.

"[T]he California Supreme Court held in Robins v. Pruneyard Shopping Center, 592 P.2d 341 (1979), that the free-speech and petition provisions of the California Constitution grant mall visitors a constitutional right to free speech that outweighs the private-property interests of mall owners . . . In a unanimous decision, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the state court's decision, noting that its own [jurisprudence] "does not ex proprio vigore limit the authority of the State to exercise its police power or its sovereign right to adopt in its own Constitution individual liberties more expansive than those conferred by the Federal Constitution.' Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robbins, 447 U.S. 74, 81 (1980)."

http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentid=14193

You know, THAT Pruneyard, in suburban San Jose.

11. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't that decision allow free speech in California's private shopping centers normally open to the general public and the wording calls for reasonable regulation by the shopping centers. One person's "reasonable" could still be deemed "unreasonable" by another. This ruling was based on the language in the California Constitution. Students had set up a table to get signatures to oppose a UN resolution condeming Zionism and were told by a security guard to close it down. I was a freshman in college when this happened and had just moved out of SJ. And I use to shop at the Pruneyard all the time!

The process of admission into a sporting event is a license, which can be revoked. I'm not sure how a Tifo that could be viewed by some as sexually offensive (I saw the pix and thought it silly and funny and yes distasteful) would fall into this ruling. But then again, I'm not a lawyer :) And at what point would there be a consensus that a Tifo or any other banner was over the line?

Don, if you could expand on your statement that the Quakes possibly violated that ruling, it would be appreciated!

As it is, I think the FO over reacted and made a silly situation into a serious one.

12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because blowjobs are mentioned, but there's not a chance in hell of one actually happening...?

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am not suggesting that the Quakes "violated" the Pruneyard decision. I cited it and the accompanying hyperlink in response to your assertion that free speech rights aren't implicated because Congress is uninvolved. They evidence that there are circumstances when free speech rights are extended into private property.

14. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Need to point this out to the folks on here who claim to be offended. Where were you after the banner was displayed? Not a single person posted about being offended in any way shape or form. It simply was not a big deal.

The ONLY reason this is even being discussed is because a Sounders Fan pointed it out and complained. For people on here to come out and openly support a Sounders fan complaint is just sad and sheepish in my humble opinion.

15. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could have a sidebar, you have asserted that the Quakes may have infringed upon the free speech rights of the Ultras. In what way has the FO infringed on their free speech rights based upon rulings of the US Supreme Court and the California Supreme Court. As you have asserted in this thread:

"Or, under my reading of the California Constitution, by discriminating based on the content of your speech in a quasi-public forum. The Quakes, and/or their sponsor, Amway are subsidizing the Casbah banner to promote their own commercial speech while simultaneously punishing the adjacent Ultras based on the non-commmercial speech of their banner."

16. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'm confused, Don. Is the Ultra's organization purpose and goal to support the team, or is it to probe the legal limits of free speech in a private venue? I think you are letting your legal background drown out the real issue here.

I like the Ultras and what they bring to the game experience. I hope you guys figure out a way to work with the FO.

I think the Ultras need to figure out what they want. Do they want to support the team in a reasonable way by using their own judgement on where the line of offensive/objectionable is? Or do they want to be subjected to having a babysitter review all their signage and such prior to entry because they want to push the limits on free speech?

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Ultras push the envelope. They're irreverant and sometimes they're offensive. That's what they're about. That's how they support the team.

Kind of like the Stanford Band.

18. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Indeed, you left the Front Office with no choice. It's a family event.

What's the purpose of that tifo (or your supporters group even)? Did it support the team in anyway? If not, then it was a fail.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it was posted by one person in the post game thread.

20. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did not find it in 5 pages I read...

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As mentioned several times in this thread, the FO had the option of talking with the Ultras respectfully without imposing punishment for something the Ultras did not do.

To reiterate: The Ultras are under a five-game probation for an allegedly "obscene" banner. Yet, whether or not offensive to some, the banner is not obscene, so the Ultras are innocent.

The Ultras are also under probation for the actions of a woman who I am informed is not an Ultra but who may have associated with one or more Ultras. (The FO cannot be confused about the matter because they are aware that an Ultra is by definition a season ticketholder in the Ultras section; the FO has a list of names and seats for every Ultra.) So, the Ultras have been tarred with "guilt by association."

At least four separate appeals were levied under the so-called "supporters bill of rights" before last Friday, including a call by me, all respectful and all rejected out of hand. Indeed, to my knowledge, no penalty imposed on the Ultras under the supporters bill of rights has ever been overturned or even reduced in scope, no matter how well taken was the appeal.

The FO had choices last week and still does. As suggested, they should commute the probation to time-served for the Toronto game.

22. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look specifically for posts in the Seattle post game thread made by Quite Type if it matters to you to know.

23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this supporters bill of rights have a process written into it?

24. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I seem to remember the Stanford Band being banned a time or two as well...

You can't support the team if you don't show up.

25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Page 7:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1700076&page=7

I didn't think much of it at the time, just really surprised the Ultras thought hoisting that up was a good idea.