statement regarding 1906 ultras protest

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmaveritas

dmaveritas Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Perhaps a TIFO is in order that reads, "Welcome to Buckshaw, have a nice day."

2. intelekshual

intelekshual New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sorry, sugar, but religion by it's own definition degrades and devalues women. You used your position as a seminary student to attempt to establish some credibility - I countered by stating that where the subject of denigrating women is concerned, that status does the opposite. Totally relevant, and not even really an attack. Scripture attacks women, pointing out that fact cannot really be deemed an attack in itself. Thanks for playing, though.

3. ranequake21

ranequake21 Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Maybe it is just me but not attending a game in protest is really lame. Go and yell louder. All front offices are lame and have to do their jobs. Go Quakes

4. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But according to your original post doesn't that person have the right to say that under the 1st Amendment? I'm just sayin...

5. kickbol

kickbol New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "HANFD" mite work :rolleyes:

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet I'm not based on the other responses here. I think Tony said it best, grow up. The Ultras have done many great things and now something incredibly boneheaded, immature, sexist and offensive. You got called on it, and instead of taking responsibility you guys pout like babies for a full 90 and try to convince us your innocent victims... Bullshit.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are pretty quick to jump to conclusions. I am not an Ultra, so don't say "you" to "me' when referring to "them".

8. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    1. Or just something that doesn't say "your team should be giving us oral sex"
    2. Your TIFO privileges are revoked. So, I'm not worried about your next TIFO.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire

10. ultraschaplain

ultraschaplain New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    women in my denomination are entirely equal to men in every function. A big part of my studies concentrate on exegeting the texts for context, finding the positive roles of women in the text. Language has been altered from the original inaccurate patriarchal translations from the original Greek and Hebrew, inclusive language is not only encouraged but required. Until you understand the situation, please do not try to make comments based on what you have experienced or heard about religion. The overgeneralization is like saying that all Muslims are terrorists. it just doesn't work. It was not used for credibility in the way it seems (I could be wrong) you are insinuating, it was giving my background as people tend to see support groups based on European stereotypes of uneducated thugs. I am neither uneducated, nor a thug. In this regard, please do not try to imply what I am trying to "establish" by my statements, because you clearly do not know. When you use vulgar language (asterisks do not make it any less vulgar) and make negative statements regarding my religious beliefs, I do take that as an attack, and fail to see how I would not. Please just show some respect.

11. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Do the Ultras really not see how this banner could be offensive? Support the Quakes like usual, with class, and commitment to the team, not the FO. Put this behind and come back strong next game, loud as ever.

12. ultraschaplain

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    absolutely, I didn't say what she did was illegal, I said I would appreciate if she did not do it because I wont tolerate it.

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Maybe you should take a picture of your display and show it to female members of your denomination and ask them what they think of it.

14. ultraschaplain

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I said my piece, and don't have the energy to continue here. Sleep well everyone, whatever stance you take. Trash talk if you like, support us if you like. Good night all.

15. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And isn't that essentially what the FO is saying to the Ultras?

16. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Again this is not a free speech issue. No one has a constitutional right to attend a Quakes game. The FO can revoke your tickets and refuse you future service as long as they aren't discriminating on the grounds of race, color, religion, or national origin.

In cases in which the patron is not a member of a federally protected class, the question generally turns on whether the business's refusal of service was arbitrary, or whether the business had a specific interest in refusing service. For example, in a recent case, a California court decided that a motorcycle club had no discrimination claim against a sports bar that had denied members admission to the bar because they refused to remove their "colors," or patches, which signified club membership. The court held that the refusal of service was not based on the club members' unconventional dress, but was to protect a legitimate business interest in preventing fights between rival club members.

The FO certainly has an interest in prohibiting signs that offend their female patrons and/or that could insight fights between supporters.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Ultras are under a five-game probation, not for producing an "offensive" banner, but an allegedly "obscene" one. They are objectively innocent of the charge and accordingly have a right to feel aggrieved. And their protest was "G"-rated, without any violence or profanity.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The protest may have been G-rated Don but the Tifo was rated R and that was the problem...

19. darkstar10990

darkstar10990 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame on those of you who believe that this is a breach of freedom of artistic expression. How is it okay to make a banner of two girls on their knees bowing to a guy in his underwear? Not only that but to show it in a stadium full of families and kids. It had absolutely nothing to do with soccer at all, just a blatant attempt at pushing the envelope of inappropriateness. It was tasteless and inappropriate but what's worse than that is the reaction from the Ultras who, from what i've seen, are trying to justify it by making it seem like its isn't and putting the blame on the FO who stepped in and said enough. Sure there might be quite a few over-sensitive people out there but come on, really? I'm frightened at the thought that there are people out there who would think this kind of action to be okay. Good on the Quakes FO to step in and stop this from happening again. Buck Shaw, and any sports stadium/arena for that matter, should be one where anyone from families to adults can go without having to worry about blatant vulgarness in plain sight. Cursing in chants is one thing but subtle hints at blowjobs in a banner is over the top to say the least.

And the Ultra's protest is quite ridiculous in my opinion. What happened to always being there for the Quakes? I love the Ultras and what they do for the stadium atmosphere. I was at the home opener in pouring rain singing to the songs and happy as could be, but to see this happen is very disheartening. :(

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or, under my reading of the California Constitution, by discriminating based on the content of your speech in a quasi-public forum. The Quakes, and/or their sponsor, Amway are subsidizing the Casbah banner to promote their own commercial speech while simultaneously punishing the adjacent Ultras based on the non-commmercial speech of their banner.

21. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

The 'obscene' banner was 'offensive' and people got offended by it. Missing out on a chance to cheer the Quakes because they didn't let that type of banner in again? Seriously?

22. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don...
    who thought the banner was a good idea? Did none of the Ultras stop for a second and say "hey, you know what? maybe making this into a huge-as banner might offend some people."
    I am personally not offended at all, and can see some humor in it, but am wildly baffled that it would make it all the way from the concept stage to the in game execution without someone coming to their senses.

In my view, you (the Ultras) only make this sort of banner when you want to purposely offend someone. To get your panties in a bunch when someone actually gets offended seems highly disingenuous-- to me.

Oh, and this is in no way a freedom of speech issue, btw...

Lee

23. darkstar10990

darkstar10990 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its like marriage. In bad situations, sometimes its better to just say "yes dear" and move on than to fight about it and make it even worse than it really has to be. The reality of the situation is that the banner was tasteless, most people thinks so from what i've seen. It's one thing to do it but its another to deny it altogether and go on a "protest" (the Quakes already have your money from the tickets you bought so you're not "winning!") Accept it and move on and continue doing a great job at supporting the Quakes you Ultras! Isn't that what you're all about? You have the heart of an Ultra, the blue and the black in your veins. Don't forget about forever supporting your team! :cool:

I hope to hear you guys at the next game.

24. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To some the banner may have been "obscene". And while your protest was "G" rated, it was a pathetic show of support for the club. Therefore, one can only assume that your desire for "free speech" and "artistic expression" is far more important than supporting the club...even when they put one in the back of the net and you all just sat in your seats.

You cannot continue to bully people into tolerance or simply putting up with "obscene" banners. Sometimes there is a line you just don't cross...respect and tolerance is a 2 way street...something that seems to be forgotten from your side.

I'm all for the hardcore fans, but sometimes you guys take things just a little too far.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I cannot speak for anyone else, but as for me that's a very fair assumption. I'm an American. I support free speech. The Ultras protested to vindicate a principle that I hold dear and hopefully would be brave enough to die for.

It doesn't matter to me that some of you are offended by the Ultras banner, just as it doesn't matter to me that large segments of the Islamic world are offended by Salman Rushdie or Danish cartoons. Neither Rushdie nor the cartoonists nor the Ultras are deserving of punishment for expressing themselves. Period.

If I have to walk away from the Quakes for good to underscore my point, I will.