statement regarding 1906 ultras protest

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to break it to you guys, but I can see how that got you in trouble. Not saying I would have complained personally. Not saying it is "legally" obscene. But when you put up a giant poster of two women about to give a ************** to a Quakes "guy", you're just asking to offend a fair number of people... That poster is sexist, classless and tasteless and has nothing to do with soccer or razing Seattle.

Have to agree with the FO on this one even if their "probation" may be an odd way to go about it.

2. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That grinds my ********ing gears that our FO would give a flying ******** about Seattle supporters being offended by the fan's of the FO's own ********ing team.

3. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're drunk right now, right? right?

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean, "about to"? The guy still has his underwear on.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only because the artist apparently had enough sense to at least make that small concession. Frankly I'm shocked you guys didn't expect some negative reaction to that poster. It was way off from the Ultras usual top notch tifo...

6. intelekshual

intelekshual New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Couple of things here:

You can "out my handle" as one of those who stated on a social networking site that your pathetic tifo was offensive. I certainly wasn't looking for any kind of censure for your group - you manage to embarass yourselves through your irrelevance so frequently and expertly that censure is overkill.

Also, to state that it was an "irreverent" take on Charlie Sheen is a ridiculous, sad cop-out. Misogyny is like, so hilarious, right guys?

Finally, the best thing about your tifo, even better than how shittily executed it was? Is the fact that you, yet again, spent your efforts going negative rather than trying, in any way, to inspire your players and honor your team. Good work, kids. Keep on trying to be in any way interesting or germane to any conversation regarding tifo and supporter culture in the MLS. We'll keep laughing our asses off over here.

7. ultraschaplain

ultraschaplain New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am a member of the 1906 Ultras... now that you have formed your initial judgement based on conjecture let me continue... I also have my MBA, and am a seminary student working on my second Masters degree as I prepare to serve in ministry. I am also awaiting a commissioning in the military to serve the military of this country's men and women's spiritual needs. I am educated, I love my God, I love my country, I love my Quakes, and I love the family I have created in this group. It breaks my heart to see how the Front Office is treating this group. We come to every home game, and many away games supporting this team with every bit of energy and passion we can muster. That is what we do, we support our team.

I myself made "contributions" to said tifo that has been deemed offensive and necessary to punish the group; I am offended that artistic expression can be punished in such a way. For a play on a current pop culture event like this (especially when the hypocrites at the front office made their own play on it shortly before) to be taken so negatively is ridiculous. There was no profanity, nudity, nor sexual acts being portrayed (these all show up in art that can be found in any major museum, and the pieces are typically cherished), the tifo was pointing out the ridiculousness of the recent words and actions of Mr. Sheen, while also taking a shot at our rivals. It was in the same good humor as the FO's video.

I have been a long time fan of the Earthquakes, I have been coming to games since the tail end of the 2009 season when I moved to the bay, (I was ecstatic when I found out the team was coming back when I started looking at the move). I put my time, energy and money into supporting this team. I drive about 140 miles round trip to every home game. I am a season ticket holder, I have introduced many people to the game day experience, and had a friend also buy a season ticket based on his experiences. Yet the FO feels they can violate my First Amendment right, and bully me. Maybe my devotion is not enough for the FO, maybe they do not want my money. It breaks my heart again to think that it is a good possibility I will be asking for a refund on my season ticket, and watching the games on TV from home if the FO does not learn how to treat their fans.

8. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not entirely sure how this could be viewed as anything but sexist, classless and tasteless. i still don't get the link to the Sheen thing? How does depicting 2 woman with hands on top of their heads as they kneel in front of a guy in his skivvies = some rather clever editing ?

is it "legally obscene" ? of course not. is it in poor taste, and does it reflect poorly on the organization? yeah, definitely.

but whatever, this all seems much ado about nothing to me. what does the probation entail?

9. ultraschaplain

ultraschaplain New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you had any idea who Don was, you would realize you have no leg to stand on here. Just let it go, and stop trying to instigate on a forum please.

10. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

The Earthquakes front office was right on about this one. That banner had nothing to do with soccer, the Quakes and was classless. This is a family event, and if I had children, I wouldn't want them exposed to that nonsense.

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our FO had no problem spoofing Sheen when a lot of people in the mental heath field are of the opinion the guy has mental problems.

12. dmaveritas

dmaveritas Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great TIFO! Which one's the nanny? Too bad that photo doesn't show the #winning banner. I hear other supporters groups are following suit with their own Charlie Sheen TIFOS.

FO seems to be arbitrarily issuing a probation for a twitter complaint from the opposition supporters. Imagine that! An opposition supporter didn't like the TIFO?!

ATTENTION TRAVELING QUAKES FANS: Please complain about the local TIFO, especially at the Home Depot Center or Quest Field. I'm sure their respective FOs would give their groups probation as well. Oh wait... their FOs might seem to hold more to logic and reason.

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at tonight's game and would like to take a moment to thank the Casbah for stepping up trying to fill the void left by the Ultras.

Puking all over themselves was an excellent touch.

Duh ... Winning!

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The banner was barely readable at the game. People sitting around me were saying, "huh?" "what?"

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also didn't "spoof" "Charlie Sheen" getting a blowiob from two women in a very submissive position. Face it guys, the Ultras screwed up on this one and got called on it. Accept it and move on...

16. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meh, i know who he is, which is why i'm a little shocked at his take on all of this, and just assuming he's hammered or something. he's trying to over-legalize this. this isn't court. your first amendment rights weren't violated. you're not in jail. your hands weren't cut off. you weren't even banned from the stadium.

and don't piss on everyone's leg and tell them it's raining that sexual acts aren't being portrayed. that's outright hogwash.

17. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but how else does one get a **************?

18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, it really doesn't show that, does it?

19. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Well apparantly some people did see it, hence the complaints.

20. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what, you've never been tied to the bedpost?

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure it doesn't...:rolleyes:

As someone said above, don't piss on out legs and tell us it's raining... Frankly the more you guys try to argue that the tifo was harmless or deny what it blatantly obviously was, the more you convince me the FO took the appropriate action.

22. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry 1906, you guys were out of line on this one. It was degrading to women, inappropriate for children, and offensive. Stop being coy by saying it's a Sheen reference. It is that...but it is also portrays the Sounders and Galaxy as scantily clad women on their knees (the Sounders girl is wearing knee pads) with a Quakes man in his underwear holding their heads as if to encourage them to perform fellatio.

Also, you don't have 1st amendment rights at the game. There are two controlling factors. Admission to the game is a license that can be revoked for any reason. You used words and images intended to incite and intimidate.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use your imagination...

24. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry...but your entire argument is ridiculous and so over the top.

I had an entire post typed up but realized it's not really worth it. This entire episode is a joke. Your groups actions showed the juvenile maturity level. I've always been supportive of the Ultras dating back to the Spartan days when there was like 4 guys down at one end. But this entire boycott was so stupid. The "release" statement explaining the reason for the boycott made us all laugh just before the game. And...the fact that you guys couldn't even stand when the boys scored was pathetic.

Don't get me wrong...I love hearing you guys during games, but grow up. Stop trying to hide behind artistic expression (my wife is an art teacher by the way) and the 1st Amendment. Those arguments are getting so old and over used in society.

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your problem right there A68, you are always imagining it!