State of the Revs

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 26, 2017.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many different Revs can we say that about in their second season under Heaps?

Too many, by my count.

2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    NY and Montreal win - Revs still 9 points out but now have to contend with Columbus(8 points) and Montreal (4 points but with game in hand) who are right under the line.

Had DC not choked last night, Revs would have been in the cellar this morning.

3. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the Revs are in the cellar. It's just a metaphoric cellar of the soul, filled with tears, slime, and small rodents with the face of Mike Burns.

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic!!
    The only hope I see for the Revs is that the MLS starts to become a "big" league. Then Felger & Mazz can talk soccer in Boston. Can you imagine the field day(s) they would have with the team owners, management and coach. They wouldn't have to worry about running out of things to discuss! And the Krafts are as thin skinned as our President, so maybe something would be done then.

5. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget, the only reason we got Jones was because we won a coin toss. We didnt seek him out and talk him into coming here. He had no choice. It was the Revs or Nothing. When it came time to pay him, he wanted to stay but the cheapo's won and he walked

The FO will not spend the money to make us good and I won't waste mine to watch what they have now

a517dogg, pwykes and RevRider repped this.
  6. RevRider

RevRider Member

May 12, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly everything you said is true. I still like to go to games because I enjoy watching soccer but more and more often I find myself going to see individual players that are on other teams (example the Fire with Schweinsteiger). It's so frustrating that Jones fell in our lap and when it came time to pay we just let him walk.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Each year, the nub of me that was left after the rest was worn away - well, that nub is itself getting worn away by continuing to try to be a Revs fan.

So, in that context, I may be an easier target for a line like this, but the "small rodents" part just killed me. I truly LOL'd. The post is sig-worthy.

8. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I still waste time watching on TV. But no money being wasted here, except the small part of my electricity bill required to power the equipment to watch the game. But, Kraft sees none of that cash. It's like being a fan but not letting the team know.

If KSG had no one in seats, that would tear away #AirCover, which is just about the only thing they fear - being "exposed", possibly even more so than they would fear a sharp revenue decline.

CynicRev repped this.
  9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS - I also watch all games on TV but am not going to go there for live games and waste my money. I used to go but nothing I want to see now except Lee now and then. Can't even count on that anymore.

Heck, we dont even get NAT games anymore and I always went to those. Pretty discouraging when they choose to go to Connecticut over Foxboro

10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    So Im looking at the MLS Allstar roster. No Revs. Not a one. Not by fan voting, not by coaches picks, not by commissioner's picks.

Hard to believe that not one of Diego or Rowe or Juan or Lee or Andrew were picked. I guess if yur near the bottom of the league, players arent considered for an All Star team. The Revs are truly the team where careers die. Sad because we have some good players. What we dont have is the financial support from the FO to buy enough quality players to compete and a coach that can move us into contention. Sad because we do have some quality players and we should be much better than we are

TOAzer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps strikes me as a rather negative coach to his players, quick to point out errors but without the credibility needed to effectively deliver the message. Kind of like Belichick but without the rings to back it up. That's a bad combination.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question - do any of them deserve it? In a different era, yoh could make a case for Fagundez but with so much talent around the league, none of them deserve it this year.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I shared in another thread, 9 teams (41%) were shut out of the All Star game roster.

All Star rosters reflect popularity, not talent.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care about the All-Star Game, it's a total waste of time, and we already have All-Star teams in soccer. In fact, every country has their own All-Star team, picking the best players, regardless of what club they play for--it's calle the Natinal Team.

But the larger point is that we have some pretty decent players. Not that we are really an "elite" team, but certainly top-half of the league, based on talent. Our payroll is about average, so it isn't as much a matter of cost. It is a matter of the coach, who has "lost" the team and can't make the most of his availavle talent,and a FO that has deliberately hadicapped the team for depth, with 7 open roster spots.

A Casual Fan and BERich repped this.
  15. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon Martin repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I stand corrected. Somehow I thought we were around #11 or 12 in payroll, but we're actually overachieving--16th in ppg but 18th in spending! Bonuses and promotions all around!

TOAzer and pwykes repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait until they trade Kamara for draft picks! The PPG to spending ratio will look even better!

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, Sigi Schmid and Bob Bradley are back coaching in MLS (or at least have signed contracts.) And here are the Revs -- doing nothing. Same sh*t different day.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were NEVER going to come here.

Until the Kraft's show the league, the coaches, the players and the fans that they actually give two shits, no one with a name will willingly come here.

20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    FYP

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I agree with your statement -- that was my point (obliquely) too. It is yet another indication of the Revs falling further and further behind the state of the league.

I guess when we look at new teams coming in we have to remember the owners are probably making as much of an investment in their team with just the 'expansion fee' as the Krafts have spent in totality on the team in probably over a decade. That makes for a more aggressive ownership stance I guess. Certainly seems to be much more interested and committed ownership groups for LAFC, Atlanta, Minnesota and Orlando.

Where is all that talk from Jay and Burnsie about the Krafts giving them everything they ask for? What have they been asking for?

22. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    If there is a positive to be found in the current "State of the Revs", it is that the team's fortunes are a direct repudiation of the notion that pro/rel represents the solution to all that ails Major League Soccer. After all, Messrs. Bilello, Burns and Heaps have collectively been promoted time and time again, with the end result being that the Revolution has been relegated to also-ran status.

:p

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take one shit. Hell I'd take a Krafty fart in the revs' general direction

24. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a517dogg repped this.
  25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't argue with any of that. Again, a lot of this comes down to their conscious choice to fill only 25 of 30 roster places. The fact that they have 3 keepers means that they can only play 11-11 in practice if no one is missing.

How can you possible develop a competent teammm like that?

Fire Heaps, fire Burns, fire Bilello, and most of all, fire Kraft!