State of the League Address

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nivla, Nov 16, 2007.

1. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Has anyone of you paid attention to the State of the League Address this afternoon?
    It has audio on the MLS site. I was not able to listen to it but I read from what others posted in other threads. Please listen to the audio yourself or read the script later on. Things mentioned includes

Same playoff. Same conference, top 3 teams in each conference qualify and there are 2 wild cards.
    Expansion teams...Seatle..etc.
    No second DP.
    May increase the salary cap in 2008.
    Decision on grandfathering players coming up soon (Landon, Ruiz, Eddie Johnson)
    Player status or Toronto

And I was just so fed up with things said by the LA fans..they think everyone owes them and they are the center of the universe that the league rules need to be changed for them. LieWeekly has the same attitude as he speaks to the newspaper.

2. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose

3. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The thing is I come to BigSoccer every day for years and I've never wandered to the LA threads. Today is the first time and it makes me want to puke. Can't believe it. I'll never do that again.

4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea that they might continue to grandfather players like LD makes me sick. At last year's Supporters Summit it was clearly stated that they would need to be DP's in 2008.

This can screw up the Quakes plans for drafting and trading, since one of our biggest bargaining chips, the DP slot, would be a lot more valuable if they do NOT grandfather those players.

5. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that they haven't even figured it out yet screws with any plans we have for drafting and trading. This is something that needs to be settled before the expansion draft because it has serious implications on how we go about the draft and building our team.

6. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Again, this is just something I read from people who listened to the audio, and we may need to wait until we see the script to conclude anything. But I think some has said the expansion draft will be the same as last year's.

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If the league bending over backwards for AEG and the galaxy comes as a surprise to anybody, you haven't been paying attention. They'll "grandfather" landon sissyboy for one more year just to make the filth happy, bet on it.

8. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Garber mentioned the new Quakes, he said that Wolff et al showed him new renderings of the stadium development by the airport.

Has anyone been able to obtain what these renderings look like?

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if someone here works for the Quakes.

10. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Landon? A grandfather? I think we may come up with a good chant .... :)

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can someone please post a transcript of what was said or at least direct me to the link? The mlsnet is such poor quality I can't understand it so I'd rather read it.

12. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    What do you mean by "same playoff"?
    Currently, the top 2 teams in each conference qualify, along with 4 wild cards.

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Yeah, this year could be the ultimate pukefest for us. All advantages will likely be played in LA's favor this year because the league made SUCH a high profile move bringing Beckham here that they can't afford to fail on this one.

If Beckham fails to make a difference here, the rest of the world will simply think that either he IS virtually washed up or that he had no support with which to work. We will be the only ones trumpeting our league--saying, "see?!? We ARE really competitive now!"

Next year will be one of those seasons when it will be nauseating how the chips "just happen to fall perfectly" for the Galaxatives.

C'mon, karma!!! Keep the pampered down again next year!!!

14. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Seems like the Scum have been allowed exemptions to the MLS "rules" almost every season. I can't really understand why the other ownership groups allow it to happen. It's even hard to understand how they fit all this years players under the cap. The signed Becks and Xavier from Europe, had Albright, Cobi, Cannon, Klein, landy (on a granddfather rule that, if anything cut the $ amount the team was taking a cap hit for. There is a smell of a rat from LA/MLS for years. Despite their shameless manipulation it didn't work. MLS would like it to be the Becks show but if they shamelessly give one team an advantage by 'grandfathering', aka manipulating the rules, then they run the risk of looking like idiots in front of the foreign press that they seem to want to court so much. Just wait for the comments about a 'fixed' league. We'll be right up there with Serie A for scandal :D

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "MLS votes in favor of vets": L.A. to keep Donovan without new designated player

The only good news as far as the San Jose Earthquakes is concerned is that because of the DP slot's now-weakened trade value, it may further convince Frank Yallop and John Doyle to use the DP slot on a star player for 2008 after all and have that DP solidly gelled with the rest of the starting roster by the time The Epicenter opens. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, you can watch the entire League Address here.

-G

17. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    This is disgusting, obvious and shameless manipulation yet again. So the two ownership groups that have more than one team gain a serious advantage yet again, while Dallas gets a negligible 35k of cap space. Kinda thing that makes MLS look like a pub league, i hope the foreign prtess does start to report on the corruption in MLS and the "Beckham rule".

On the bright side, it will probably put an end to the rather disturbing bring back landy trend thats being cropping up on these boards.

Will Landy even count for 400k against the cap (that will also be incresed, apparently) to further serve the Scum/AEG's benefit? Honestly, I may not even buy season tickets now, seeing how nothing has changed with MLS.

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Opps, take that back, Kansas now has indepoendent ownership, i guess they just benefit to accomodate AEG.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, now. I don't think any of us are buying tickets because we approve of MLS.

20. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    When, they moved our teamn to Houston I wrote to Don Garber and vowed never to support MLS again. I softened on that idea over two years, but I still have a lot of scepticism about this league. I want to be a Quakes fan, but also hate to support a league that shafted me once before, especially if the signs are still there that they are going to continue to shaft the fans of every team but the scum and hapless bulls. It's bad enough having playoffs where a team with a losing record over 30 or 32 league games can have a 5 game winning streak win it all. It's just disgusting when the rules are bent to enhance the possibility of their marketing dream coming true. If 32 MLS regular season games mean so little to the league, why should I care?

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its funny that I posted this morning in this thread:
    All Garber will say is how many teams are still losing money but with more expansion teams and newer owners comng in building their own SSS, an improved Superliga, things are looking brighter and we are on the way up and this is an exciting time for American soccer. Isn't that what he always says?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623039

I was pretty much right. Typical predictable garbage from Garber....Why does he even bother giving this State of the League when they all seem exactly the same?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=37209

22. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    What ya bet the Scum will also be a Superliga entrant next season, despite not even making the playoffs for the last two years? I guess it's deserved since they won the 2005 championship after a patethic season of football. But who cares, superliga is just anoth media hyped event (most probably invented by gAlexi).

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe but thats not what it says at the moment.
    2008 North American SuperLiga Qualification

D.C. United MLS 1st
    Chivas USA MLS 2nd
    Houston Dynamo MLS 3rd
    New England Revolution MLS 4th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_North_American_SuperLiga

24. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    That's what wikipedia says, lets see if it changes once MLS has their say. The would certainly want beckham to be involved, just like they want him in MLS Cup 2008. This league is a joke. I'm just amazed that they can get away with it. It would seem that the MLS board does not have equal representation from all its investors. Anyone know who currently sits on the board?

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can watch Sean Wheelock's interview with Don Garber here.

-G