State of the Forum Poll - USA Men

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Crimson Ace, Nov 2, 2009.

?

State of the USA Men Forum?

1. The forum is going great.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The forum is okay - but room for some improvement.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The forum is a mess.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Message from BigSoccer:

All - We are asking all forum members to give us some feedback about the state of our forums. We would be grateful if you would take a few moments to vote in the poll, but more importantly post your thoughts about how things are going in this forum. Anything is fair game - the moderators, the quality of the discussion, the amount of traffic, the forum structure, etc. Voting is useful, but we are most interested in ways you think BigSoccer and specifically this forum can be improved -- what we are doing right or wrong, and your thoughts generally about your use of this forum.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

2. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: State of the Forum Poll

Forum is going great now that I'm here and active. LOL.

Some of the dumb threads should go though.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I said this before, but mods really have to limit the number of threads started by Whip. They serve no purpose other than to annoy people. Literally nothing good comes from them and he starts threads like every day.

4. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to see the same standard apply to whichever forum you are in. Seems that Mexico fans have much more leeway in the US forum than a US fan does in the Mexico forum for example. If you want to be like than then make affiliations part of the registration process and only allow persons with certain affiliations in a particular forum. I would hate that by the way.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^This.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seconded. I came to BigSoccer back in the day that it was SoccerForums.com (I think that was the name) and it competed with Soccer America Graffiti. Roughly 10 years ago or so.

One of the reasons I left SAG was because of whip polluting the site with his nonsense. IMO, it was a sad day when he discovered BigSoccer.

7. tavo2311

tavo2311 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

+1 on both the WHIP stuff and the same standard stuff mentioned above.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more polls!

9. WaltonFire

WaltonFire Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about the dumb threads (that's why we have this forum in addition to N&A), but what I'd like to see is more Mod crackdown on abbuse. Case in point was the thread "New rule idea for injuries-need opinions" where one poster basically derailed the thread two pages in and spent every other post ridiculing those who disagreed with him, calling fellow posters wussies, idiots and questioning there knowledge/love of soccer. Appoo eventual stepped in after about 100 posts, but stuff like that needs to be nipped in the bud alot earlier. I don't care if you write the dumbest most illogical post every (in this forum) but once you start personal attacks on fellow posters, you've crossed a line, regardless of the forum.

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, this thread has the highest percentage for "The forum is a mess" than any of the other threads I have seen so far. Several reasons for that:

Paranoia threads. The sheer magnitude of panic that overflows the forum any time something slightly negative happens makes it to where I avoid it completely any time the US plays. Much of the time many posters seem to lack any maturity and intellect at all, but that number is inflated whenever they play.

Trolling. Trolling by other fans, especially Mexican, is much more accepted in this forum than anywhere else. Whether it is the "sky is falling" posters or fans of the Mexican national team, there are way more posters with negative intentions in the thread than normal.

Pointless threads. Whip is undoubtedly the worst offender in this category, but he's not the only one. I'm not sure how much better it can be patrolled, but some type of thread-starting limit needs to be installed for this forum to be more enjoyable.

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^ Definitely this...

12. Mullet&Talon

Mullet&Talon New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People give WHIP too much crap. If you don't like his threads ... DONT READ THEM!

My only complaint is there is too much overlap with other groups here, and thread drift. I don't like MODS as nazis (you should allow more Mexico bashing), but a thread on Freddy here should focus on his qualities vis-a-vis the National Team. Too many Yanks-abroad threads here. And some of the long threads become meaningless after a while.

The other problem is unavoidable. Due to the calendar of Nats games, there is usually only about one or two weeks surrounding actual games where there is anything worth reading in here. I have no suggestions ... its hard to force people to come up with interesting ideas when the Nats are in hibernation.

Mod's Note

Quite specifically, we shall tolerate no racist commentary. All shall be dealt with infractions.

1 person likes this.
  13. iyutepo

iyutepo Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I've figured out the ground rules, so to speak, I would just as soon not have this place change.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The percentage of votes in various forums for "The forum is a mess:"

MLS: General - 25% (7 votes)
    MLS: News and Analysis - 12.31% (8 votes)
    USA Men: New & Analysis - 18.99% (15 votes)
    Youth National Teams - 8.70% (2 votes)
    Yanks Abroad - 10.42% (5 votes)
    USA Men - 27.27% (12 votes)

15. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guarantee it's probably some guys from BSMX that came in and voted, mostly.

16. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mess? What Mess?

P.S. FIRE BRADLEY ;)

17. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and disagree with the points about Whip. Whip does make pretty pointless threads, but the one thing is that Whip is still just one person. He's pretty easy to ignore, and I kick myself when I don't consider the source and get wrapped up in arguments with him.

The one thing I notice is that when something significant happens, threads don't get merged quick enough.

18. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can prevent this by making a rule that you cannot start thread unless you have 1 or 2 reputation points. This would ensure that those starting threads are a bit more familiar with BS and would take the time to investigate a current thread on a topic before starting the same topic.
    If there is some sort of significant or relevant topic that a person with less than the required amount of reputation wants to start, they could PM a moderator to have them start the topic.

19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    so I almost got banned for life for saying bad things about Jim Rome, but any time Romey completely trash soccer on national tv, he doubles his paycheck ;)

gotta love big soccer.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    There needs to be a poll option that states:

"The forum is a mess, but it's going great"

1 person likes this.
  21. sjclash

sjclash Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Oklahoma
    And this kind of moderation is what some of us are complaining about.
    Dissent against Bob will not be tolerated.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Mindless threads, pro and con, about Bob will not be tolerated. Because if we let them go, then this Board becomes swamped with them.

And we have a thread DEDICATED to that stuff. It's even stickied.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199410

23. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS

ROFL...What can I do...laugh...? Guys could somebody over here Name a discussion in which ya all thing MY POINT WAS TO ANNOY SOMEBODY OVER HERE...? I will sincerely will issue a PUBLIC APOLOGY... ASAP....I agree with ya all "I am not a politically correct person" but I am not a moron or a azz either....