Star Trek Beyond [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Dec 7, 2015.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos Gets Cameo in 'Star Trek Beyond' - Hollywood Reporter
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazon-ceo-jeff-bezos-gets-911759
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Amazon founder Jeff Bezos got to live out every Trekkie's fantasy by playing an alien in the new Star Trek movie.

Bezos is listed in the credits for "Star Trek Beyond," the third installment of the rebooted sci-fi franchise. In interviews Friday, producer J.J. Abrams and director Justin Lin confirmed his appearance in the movie. Lin said the billionaire CEO arrived with plentiful security for a day of filming and waited patiently for crews to shoot the single tracking shot that includes his character.

"He was awesome," Lin said. "It was like a president was visiting, you know? He had a big entourage! But it didn't matter because he was so into it. He had to wait around all day because it was one day we were shooting like three different scenes and, it was also credit to Jeff because... he just nailed it every time."

2. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they're already planning on a fourth movie, and it will bring back George Kirk:
    They also plan to bring the cast back as well (minus Anton, RIP), which is a good thing. Regardless of what I think about the films, the cast I think has been spot on.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I understand that all the principals were signed for three films and their contracts are up. I hope they can keep them all together. Some cast members have already publically said they think it would be improper to re-cast the role of Chekhov.

I'm not down on these pictures the way many seem to be. Frankly, I don't know what the big deal is. People can go back and watch the old movies and TV shows any time they want. It's a reboot and it's 2016 -- almost 50 years since Star Trek began. Deal with it.

By the way, September 8th is the 50th anniversary date.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Assuming our timeline stays unchanged.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed the reboot, and don't really have any problems with it. Into Darkness, on the other hand, is a perfectly serviceable sci-fi action movie. It's not a Star Trek film. I'm convinced you could change the names of the characters and the setting into random names, and you wouldn't miss anything at all.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough motorcycle action in Into Darkness.

Belgian guy repped this.
  7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem is they took an emblem of the Enlightenment and made it yet another example for the Romantics. For some of us that is a big deal.

Belgian guy repped this.
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Basically people who did not understand Star Trek took the franchise and turned it into a generic space opera.

What I find amazing is how some of the actors who were in the shows seem to prefer the tone and writing of the reboot movies. e.g. Garrett Wang (Harry Kim on "Voyager") is on the record as saying that he prefers the more action-packed and comedic J.J. Abrams movies than the overly serious TV show he was on.

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have never been a Star Trek fan and I really enjoyed the reboot. It's incredibly well cast and I thought the story was pretty clever. Using the wormhole to create an alternate timeline and even having the original Spock make an appearance.

The sequel with Robocop didn't do much for me. Kahn was telegraphed and even as someone who had not seen Wrath of Kahn the film was just mediocre.

I'll give this third one a go, probably not in theaters. But the motorcycle really turns me off. A civilization capable of light speed travel still has motorcycles? Motorcycles that look suspiciously like what we know.

10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember reading a while back that J.J. didn't grow up a Star Trek fan, he was a Star Wars fan. And that's the best way I can explain his Star Trek movies: what if Star Trek was like Star Wars?

spejic repped this.
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 Goodsport, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    In theaters today. :thumbsup:

-G

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it last night, it's definitely Fast and Furious in Space, all action, little plot. Good action, but a few things were a little eye rolling. Definitely a Justin Lin feeling movie, which is wrong for Star Trek.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just came back from watching the movie in 3D in the theater. :)

-G

P.S. = For obvious reasons, there'll be no more Anton Yelchin (and likely no more Pavel Chekov) in any future Star Trek film. :(

14. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entertaining sci-fi action film. Liked it better than Into Darkness, but still doesn't feel like Star Trek to me.

15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...apparently there's a chance the next Star Trek movie will be written and directed by none other than Quentin Tarantino:

Seems this is still very early, so it's no where near close to a done deal.

I'm two minds about this. The violence and language that Quentin prefers does not fit into Star Trek at all. However, Quentin is a self-proclaimed Star Trek fan, and I suppose there's no reason why he couldn't write something that fits the universe. If they do go this route, they need to leave him alone and let him do the movie he wants to do. There's no point in making this kind of hire just to force him into making another generic sci-fi action film.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I like QT, but QT as a Trek director is one of the worst ideas in the history of cinema.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually support this idea. Tarantino has professed his love for Trek on many occasions.

18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Update on QT's Trek pic...

Tarantino's 'Star Trek' Finds Writer In 'Revenant' Scribe - Variety
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-revenant-writer-1202647587/