Standard of A-League

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Blake8, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    no you have to take your chances when they are offered, or you mighten get them again, and sink or swim when you do, thats life buddy, it moves fast and if you dont strike when the irons hot you will get left behind.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And look how some of those guys went. Guys like Djite, Vidosic, David Williams etc all went out early and came back with their tails between their legs. Yes they had a go, but was it really in their best interests?

Brett Emerton played at least 4 years back in the old NSL before he headed across to Europe. We're seeing guys with 1 good season behind them heading across, to clubs where they sit on the pine.

For some players it will work out to travel while young, for others, maybe an extra year or two here would help them out.

3. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thats life but, sink or swim, if they are made an offer in europe they should take it, they obviously have the potential, the only thing they lacked was the confidence

4. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This season we are seeing a lot of big scores happen alot more regularly, even once or twice a round now some team will get taken out to the cleaners, and hung up to dry like my Sydney FC was last night by the Heart.
    I remember way back in the first few seasons average games scores being 1-0 0-0 1-1 or 2-1, now we are seeing scores like 7-1, or 5-2 or 4-0.
    So what does this mean, is the ALeague attack finally starting to spread its wings and flourish, or has the defence standards slipped alot since the early seasons?
    If its the first then this is great news as the defence will then have to improve as well meaning an even better game, but if its the latter option we are in a sad state indeed.

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Cockers on the standard:

Look to the bottom for proof of rising standard

6. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Bump.

I feel like the A-League has improved significantly since 2008/09 when I started watching it. I've seen some old games from 2004/05 and they were atrocious to watch. 2016/17 just might be the best season yet IMO.

el-capitano repped this.
  7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the A- League have any free to air contracts now? Going to be back in Oz for Christmas and would love to watch a match.

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    mike4066 repped this.
  9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Glad that is available now. Used to have to go to the pub to watch away games...not that its a bad thing. Just expensive :D

10. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't have Foxtel, so I just look for streams on the internet for any other game not on SBS.

mike4066 repped this.
  11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Only if you have a Friday night game- the other 4 are solely on fox.

La Trucha repped this.