Standard of A-League

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Blake8, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How do we rate it this season so far?
    In season number 7 has the standard much if any since season 1?
    To me it looks faster generally, which means it is getting more skillful and fitter, but the attack is still mostly a mess, and what the A-League needs to learn to get right most of all.

2. KTown222

KTown222 Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Overall more entertaining than last season. It is not unusual to find 2 great games in a week (2 out of 5). I would say the rate of connected passes is higher, leading to better play and offensive football.

3. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes, we need lots of one touch football, that will keep the crowds interested at the games and watching on Fox, and we have to set up and finish attck on goal much better, have multiple options ready, basically we need to think more and stop trying to play the game like its rugby so much, our physicality is good, but I think we need more thinking basically.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its more down to the coaches rather than the managers. Look what Ange has done up at Brisbane. Lost 3-4 of his best players, but the ones he brought in have not missed a beat and have played like they've been there for years.

Could you imagine what he would do with the Glory's roster? Its guys like Ferguson who are chumps and dragging the standard of play down. Blame the coaches before you look at the players. ;)

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its more down to the coaches rather than the managers. Look what Ange has done up at Brisbane. Lost 3-4 of his best players, but the ones he brought in have not missed a beat and have played like they've been there for years.

Could you imagine what he would do with the Glory's roster? Its guys like Ferguson who are chumps and dragging the standard of play down. Blame the coaches before you look at the players. ;)

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah, the improvement in recruitment has been crucial. Compare guys who don't pan out now with the ludicrous flops of 2005-09.

7. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah we dont seem to chasing the next potential superstar from Sth America anymore, most of those guys had a lot of trouble dealing with the change of culture, and the language barriers, it seems english is not widely spoken in Sth America.
    Also the ALeague is very physical, alot of the aussie guys are very strong and charge at players like a bull, and understandably that put them off as well.
    I like the no fear attitude the ALeague has, but we need more finesse in our game so babdly, but it is slowly getting better I think.

8. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The coach can only tell them what to do, he cant go out there and play for them.

9. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    go to youtube and watch the A-league grand final in 2006 (syd vs mariners). Yes, the standard has improved dramatically.

10. KTown222

KTown222 Member

Sep 29, 2007
    IMO, the improvement is overall. A couple years back there were like 3 to 4 good teams, some average teams, and some poor teams. This season there is an elite team, some good teams, and probably two poor teams. This is reflected in the ladder. Take the last 2 teams out of the equation, the rest except the Roar are pretty close. Even the last 2 teams had their moment, albeit short ones.

Another aspect is the level of play by individuals. The support casts are much improved. It is harder for the star player to shine. Examples: Danny Allsopp and Fred were very good, but they are overshadowed by others this season. Kewell and Emerton have yet to stamp their authority on the pitch. The star players this season so far mostly are those tried and trusted ones:

Broich
    Berisha (new blood)
    Nicholls
    Carle
    Thompson

11. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why is that do you think?

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nup, sorry. If you had Ian Ferguson in charge of the Roar, and they wouldn't have gone 36 games undefeated.

13. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    The touches, finishing and passages of play we see nowadays on a reasonably regular basis are seemingly non-existent in this game, and others i have seen from seasons 1-3. Most goals come from either a defensive mistake or a bit of quality from an individual.

I started watching the A-league regularly in the 3rd season, and i can remember switching some games off due to their cringe-worthiness. Rarely happens anymore: Games are no doubt faster-paced, less long-ball orientated, and contain more instances of possession-based play. Long way to go, but I believe we're on track.

14. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It also could just be a case of these players and this coach clicking, what is working at the Roar doesnt necessitate it working as well somewhere else, you shouldnt trust so much in what you see as absolutes, and think about the grey areas more.

15. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah same here, I used to switch off because of the lack of smarts, but now there is more classier action usually, and the teams go as hard as they can, Id like to see us get more german coaches down here.

16. perthboy001

perthboy001 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Perth
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The standard is starting to improve.
    A number of teams play some good football. Good passing, good movements, good defending and of course goals
    However there is still a gap between the top sides and the bottom sides.
    There really is a difference as to going down and watching Perth Glory play long balls for 90 minutes and defend like sunday league teams than watching Brisbane Roar play a Dutch-Like Total Football

I have no doubt as we continue to develop players, buy better imports and get better coaches the standard will continue to improve

17. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We have to improve from the grass roots, why is it an english kid can play all these skills naturally better and an aussie kid cant?
    Its in the head, the attitude has to change

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because he started kicking that weird shaped ball (same as the US). MLS is slowly starting to see the fruit of that. I'd say in 4-6 years the same will be true with the A-League.

19. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    I think what separates teams the most has changed. In the first years the sides were seperated by one or two talented individuals (ie: D. Yorke for Syd in 05/06 Fred/Thompson for Victory in 06/07). Nowadays, that doesn't necessarily guarantee success, just look at Melbourne or Perth compared to Mariners or Brisbane. Even at Sydney, with Emerton and Carle, we really struggle to create genuine chances often enough.

20. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thers always been more kids playing soccer juniors than any other code in Australia, so that cant be the reason, basically I just think we have mostly have had sub standard coaching here generally, for a very very long time, in England its like life or death for the kids over there to compete, to please their family and coaches, over here probably a lot more relaxed, its a culteral thing, and we are just mostly too easy going and not competative enough in football at junior and senior levels, like we are in the other sports.
    But hopefully the ALeague will go from strength to strength, and the desire to play in it will flow down to the juniors more.

21. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stress enough how much professionalism has meant in the development of the game in the United States. Much like Australia, more American kids have played soccer than any sport for a fairly long time now, but it was always the same story about losing them to other sports as they grew up, and the ones that stayed not necessarily having the same skills. As MLS has played 16 seasons now, kids can aspire to a league and train more seriously for it, knowing there is an end to all this. The A-League will serve the same function for Australia, and the skill level will improve.

22. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I hope so, its been pretty woeful this round so far

23. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rome wasn't built in a day. The grassroot system needs at least 5-7 years to simply start working, and another 10-15 years to start working properly.

If you want an example, check Korea and Japan, where almost 20 years have passed before their youth systems started producing truly world class players. USA is somewhere midway, and Canada is lagged 10 years behind them.

Australia have just began the journey. Six years is the term where you can expect to see some improvement -- and indeed it has been the case; you can see the young crop coming every year for at least two last seasons. The path is definitely right.

What I'm afraid of though is the talent leak. A-League needs to find the right balance for young and talented players staying long enough to make an impact on the game down under but not long enough to stagnate in their development. They have to avoid becoming a feeder league.

24. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    well if you were an up and coming player in the ALeague and scoring in most games, and Tottenham made you an offer of 2 million a year, what would you do?

25. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I said "balance" :) it doesn't mean no export at all.

As it seems to me, the departure of players like Langerak, Leckie, Oar, Zullo was a bit premature. Another year or two at home would have been better for both of them and A-League.