Stand Your Ground: George Zimmerman Charged

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by CHICO13, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Re: Stand Your Ground

That's what I thought.

The entry wound on a point blank shooting will be different compared to shooting down a runner - extreme close range means the victim catches the discharge from the weapon?

And in particular, the way the body fell tells us everything about where the shooter was standing, and whether the victim was moving towards the shooter or away.

If you shoot a running target in the back at 20 yards, the forensics/ballistics are never going to align with a different story.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

That's what all the uproar is all about. There was no investigation. The cops on the scene played judge and jury, decided he couldn't be charged with anything and sent him on his merry way with his gun in his pocket. This whole thing stinks like rotten fish. It starts with Zimmerman, goes thru the racist police force and works its way up to the idiot who wrote that law.

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

If that gun is now in a drain somewhere - it might actually be hard to prove who shot the victim :D

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine

Someone's been watching Dexter :D

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm having a hard time "absorbing" what happened in this case. With what we know now, it's not a 60-40 thing, or a 70-30 thing, or even a 90-10 thing. It's a 99.999-.001 thing. What the police did is unfathomable. If the police acted like this in a John Grisham book, you'd say, that's unbelievable even for THIS guy. I keep waiting for something to come out to make this seem not so bad, but every new thing I learn makes it worse!

Also, I think the name of this thread is unfair...while I think SYG laws are pretty stupid, this case isn't an SYG case. Even the author of the law says so.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Outside of the fact that Zimmermann admitted to shooting the kid the PD should be investigated for incompetance or collusion. The chief of police might be out of a job as early as today.

7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He lost a no confidence vote by the city commissioners yesterday.

The worst part about this. He's only been on the job 10 months. He replaced another chief who was fired over... the beating of a black man.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Don't know what that is sorry

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

It is to the extent that the police and prosecutors haven't done anything. I'm not arguing at all for the cops here, but without SYG, they would have been obliged to do more. Right or wrong, its existence is their justification and now a bunch of important evidence is likely gone.

BTW, would you expect the author of the law to say this WAS an SYG case? Of course not. No one wants to own this one. Not even the former governor who supported the bill and signed it into law.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Well I was half taking the piss, but any prosecutor would be most upset if the gun has gone walkies.

At least in NZ it was drummed in to us that unlike on television, you must prove the Actus Reus before jumping in to the exciting stuff.

In other words - can you prove that the shooter put the bullet in the boy?

The usual way is to match the bullet with the gun and the gun with the shooter.

Also great is for someone to see it happen.

With neither of those things you are left with what?

A statement? I don't know US criminal law too well but a proper confession requires a signed waiver does it not?

Anyway - no doubt you can overcome it but you are making your case way harder right there because now you have no direct proof of the identity of the shooter.

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

Still could be enough to return a "not guilty" verdict.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

If Zimmermann gets charges as most expect he will and the gun goes missing there will be Holy Hell to pay. I would imagine the heads will roll starting with the mayor and on down the line. This case has the potential of going in 1000 different directions.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In that part of FL, it's almost guaranteed.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

The likely end to all this will be he is acquitted on murder charges due to the lack of moment of investigation evidence from police. Maybe gets a man-slaughter but is convicted on civil-rights violations due to his own conversation on the 911 tapes.

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Civil rights violation or hate crime? There's a big difference in the charge and sentence.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well, then.
    I think civil suits against the PD and the gated community would be more fruitful.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh wow, this is news to me.

I'm getting a better idea of how all this shit happened now.
    Sanford is run by the city manager. He carries out policy. The mayor and the city commission are part-timers who set policy. IOW, the mayor's safe.

1 person likes this.
  18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

In actuality I don't disagree with you in regards to the handling of this case and everything associated with it but something tells me most of what you are saying is simply being pulled out of your ass. I'm going to be that guy and ask you to provide links that back up your claims. The link I'm most interested in is the one that actually states they sent him on his way with gun in pocket.

The only reason I ask is because in the police report from the night in question, it clearly states that the weapon was taken in to possession (very common and likely the norm in any police or civilian shooting) as evidence. It also states Zimmerman was handcuffed, put in to a patrol car and taken to the police station for questioning prior to his being released. Nowhere does it states he was given his weapon back and since this is being reviewed by a grand jury the weapon is still likely in evidence.

Also, labeling an entire group as racist is pretty sad. Do you really believe that the Sanford PD while as inept as they appear is involved in institutionalized racism? That's quite a stretch in part due to the Blacks and Hispanics on the force but also because you yet again have done absolutely nothing to support any of your ridiculous rhetoric. Valium and deep breathing friend.

Oh and here is the link to the police report ( I haven't been able to validate it but it's a lot more then I think you'll provide)

http://cnninsession.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/martinpolicreport.pdf

I don't know if it's stupid or just contradictory to what happened in this case and one other that I am somewhat familiar with. It's not just one author of this law but at least two. Both agree with my stance which is that once you take pursuit you have become the aggressor you give up the right to claim you were scared. The overwhelming number of folks when faced with fear tend to do anything to avoid it. Ultimately the problem is in how the law is and isn't worded. Something as simple as one or two sentences can royally ******** up what should be a slam dunk murder charge.

What evidence do you think is likely gone and how relevant could it have been? For starters, it's not like Zimmerman is denying he shot the kid to begin with so even if the gun is missing like it is in Chico's little world of angst nobody is disputing whether he shot him or not. I'm sure they still have Trayvon's clothing which forensically can tell a lot coupled with 911 calls and witnesses. I think overall this was just the PD being extremely lazy and taking a poorly worded clause in a law at face value.

Breath dude breath!!!

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Well again - I was half taking the piss here but the burden is in fact on the prosecution to prove Z shot the victim.

With no gun and no witness, the only way the police know that it was Z's gun that shot the bullet is his own statement.

Should Z be unwilling to provide that testimony in Court, what evidence do you plan to introduce?

Did he provide a sworn statement that he was the shooter?

Anyway - no doubt they do in fact have the gun. It would be an incredible blunder not to have it.

1 person likes this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

One case I remember from common law, is that where you unreasonably create the scenario such that the victims actions are reasonable, you cannot claim self defence.

The specifics were a bank robber who took a shotgun into a bank heist and shot a teller who struggled with him.

He later claimed he never planned to use the gun, but was forced to do so because he was attacked by the teller

The court held that the robber was responsible for the circumstances created.

I am not sure if there is any similar line of cases in the US.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

I'm not a criminologist, so I can't give you full answers, but what I can tell you from what I have read to date is that they did not treat this properly as a crime scene. I hope that they do have the gun, but frankly, you don't know that they do anymore than Chico know that they don't. The police report says they retained it that night, but with the way they handled this, its certainly possible that in the days after the shooting that they did return it to the guy they apparently had no intention of charging. The grand jury was just empaneled, so who knows what the cops kept.

Second, they did no alcohol or drug testing on the shooter. They did on the dead guy. They didn't even use the his cell phone to try to determine who he was. Given how poorly they managed this investigation, and the need to keep a crime scene as pristine as possible while you photograph and video tape and collect samples, I think its a safe bet that there is plenty of valuable evidence that was not collected and now can't be. Again, I don't do this stuff for a living, but just from what I do know, it seems quite likely that the prosecutors job will be more difficult from the lack of diligence from the police.

22. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY

What have you read that proves that they did not treat the crime scene properly?

Once again what are you basing this on. This sounds like the O.J. defense team.

What do you "know" that makes you say that?

The only official thing I have seen is the report that Moishe linked, in which the police all claim that they secured the scene, and that multiple witnesses were interviewed immediately.

Unfortunately thing looks like it is going to turn into a three ring circus, so I am going to be very skeptical of anything I read.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

You can start with the initial detective on the scene being a narcotics detective rather than a homicide detective.

Now that Reverend Al is on the way, you probably should be. But as long as those 911 tapes are around whatever dog and pony show the good Rev brings, is secondary.

25. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States