Stadium Wants/Needs/Must Haves

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is already too late to turn this narrative around. There is a story about professional sports that resonates with a lot of people, that billionaire owners shamelessly rip off the cities where their teams play through stadium and arena costs. The Dispatch is trying to burnish their reputation as serious journalists by publishing this narrative about the new Crew stadium, and adding some details with what we regard as quite questionable spin. The people inclined to put the Crew into that paradigm are going to do so, and the Dispatch is going to try to appear serious by pandering to them. The best we can hope for is to weather the storm until it is old news.

Bill Archer repped this.
  2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have noticed that these stories (this and the "City is Paying More For the Stadium Then They Promised") have both come during OSU Football bye-weeks. The conspiracy theorist in me believes that this is to maximize their life in the local sports news cycle. Otherwise they'd be drowned out by discussions about third-string defensive tackles and the like.

But yeah, I agree: We just have to ride them out.

3. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Thank you for reminding me it's another bye week so that I know I can safely leave the house on Saturday.

TKyle and kgilbert78 repped this.
  4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're very welcome. I also relish these autumn weekends.

Also: Don't forget to turn your porchlight off tonight so as not to be bothered by masses of begging children.

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Bill Bush had such strong opinions about the $40M Columbus ponied up in infrastructure improvements to lure Ohio Health to build its new HQ in the city. I'm guessing, not so much.

Bill Archer and LaMacchia repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just described half the damn stadium including the Upper 90.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Dispatch was sold a few years ago to Gatehouse Media. They're merging with Gannett but are basically controlled by a hedge fund. So they've had rounds of layoffs and downsizing. Bill Bush used to cover the city schools so perhaps he's jaundiced.

Newspapers are trying to justify their continued existence by claiming nobody else can do the local watchdog role. This seems like an attempt at that. They just aren't very bright and can't really parse what's part of the stadium project and what isn't.

TrueCrew repped this.
  8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please convince me that "Crew SC pressed the the city to pay more than double its initial taxpayer contribution" isn't a bald-faced lie?

Ch(Elsey), TRUJDUB and hangthadj repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Wolff family owned the paper, we didn't get this kind of crap. The stadium deal would never have gone through in the first place if they didn't approve of it, and after that complaining about it would have gotten you the night editors job at the Coshocton Penny Pincher.

catfish9 and LaMacchia repped this.
  10. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Coshocton penny pincher ???

11. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think it's the Coshocton Loaf Pincher. The name represents Coshocton's reputation for multitasking in its print media.

12. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The good news is no one reads the dispatch. They just don’t sway public opinion like the old days. The other good news is this economy is kicking into high gear. Money is flowing and development is booming. This stadium is just another project in Columbus. Despite all the bashing by Bush, I haven’t seen much talk of doing anything about it.

Bill Archer repped this.
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The city council challengers have aproximately a 0% chance of winning any seats. What they want doesn't matter. Bush knows that too of course, this article is just a peg for further editorializing against the stadium deal.

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Urban parking garages should be underground. Without looking at that link, I'm pretty confident this will not be.

Kryptonite repped this.
  16. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don’t touch my Sghetti Warehouse! Looks like this development will maintain the finest dining establishment in the City.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  17. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Spaghetti Warehouse is trash.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an added bonus, an underground parking facility is protected from the weather and climate-controlled. An above ground facility may not necessarily have those luxuries.

I can't get past the paywall, but hopefully this garage is friendly to COSI validation, as the current one is. The lot there is currently COSI staff, COSI guest overflow and general public.

Does it say who will operate it? The way LAZ has made inroads into downtown the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they get it, considering they operate the other facilities there.

20. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an expensive proposition. I am ok with above grade, urban parking garages as long as there is retail, restaurants, and drinking establishments on the ground level, along pedestrian paths.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post 1996.

:)

redi44crew and TKyle repped this.
  22. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Usually made up for by what's available/serviced above grade.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great idea in close proximity to a river.

MLSinCleveland and stanger repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no, but it's a huge garage (1400 car) that's meant to serve hundreds of millions of dollars in adjacent new mixed use development projects, plus provide visitor parking. It's not associated with just one development. In short, East Franklinton will see a half billion $ or more in development over the next decade on land that previously had been publicly owned. This project just provides some parking for phase one of that development.

This estimated cost also makes even more dubious that idiot Bill Bush's claim that a 600 car garage in Confluence Village would cost $25M. And, of course, it just makes me even more interested in the mythical pedestrian/bike bridge connecting East Franklinton and the Arena District. That's a lot of parking that could be used for Crew fans, if they have a route to the new stadium, that is.

25. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there already an underground garage at COSI?