Stadium Wants/Needs/Must Haves

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Oct 30, 2018.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ashamed to say that I didn't realize the Deadwood movie had been released. It appears to have come out the same week that we cut cable, and therefor lost HBO (albeit temporarily). I love that show, and will watch the movie with haste.

Also: It's not a stereotypical western, but AMC's Hell On Wheels is spectacular. It centers on the building of the transcontinental railroad in the late 1860s and the community of ne'er do wells that followed the railhead. Highly recommended.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadwood movie was alright. Show was definitely better. It wraps things up, in a Deadwood sorta way.

LaMacchia repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because everyone wanted a Part IV, which never happened.

That ending was the weakest ending to an otherwise great trilogy.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Eh, the writers were trying too hard. Some educated folks spoke in flowery language. Run of the mill working types didn't.

5. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have a very dark sense of humor, but what exactly was funny about that?

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Have you seen the Assassination of Jesse James? The Yogi bear death scene is a recreation of James's death scene. It parallels the violent outlaw with the picnic snatcher and punctures the idea that James death was a tragedy. Et tu Brute?

7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously though. They put out the original conceptual images when they made the official announcement back in early December. While the images were exciting and appealing, they lacked any real detail...which is to be expected as they were mostly for hype purposes and something to get fans thinking about.

Now that it's going on 7 months later, and Bez has stated we should be breaking ground "late summer or early fall"....well that times almost here. I'm kinda expecting the real deal, much closer to reality, renderings to be released soon.

8. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  9. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Does the FO have a chief marketing officer? Bez is awesome at building a team and working the TAM/GAM game but he’s not a marketing guy.
    You’re about to build a $250M stadium. Get excited! Release some renderings or posters or something. It’s been zilch from the FO since December. Maybe it’s too early in the process? My gut tells me they just don’t have anybody steering the ship.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    He said on a recent podcast they were still trying to fill a lot of positions. CMO might be one of them.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duke Nukem Forever!

Alneri repped this.
  12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes. It's poignant. It's not funny. That's all I was saying.

13. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  14. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018

Yeah I doubt it will be an issue. These land deals take a lot longer than the 6 or so months that it's been. They wouldn't have decided on the land nor put new infrastructure I if it wouldn't get done. I'm also betting nationwide is crafting a good deal for them given the bargaining position that they are in.

15. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It probably explains the lack of new renderings though

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Why wouldn't we have renderings by now? The site has been known and the architect has been known for months. Nothing has happened in the last 6 months to require a re-design.

17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because our owners are adults and don’t have to rush crappy renderings out in order to stay in the news cycle.

shoplifter, Paul171121 and Draghignazzo repped this.
  18. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I assume they have renderings already. Maybe just waiting until the land deal has been signed off on until they release them is my guess

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this in the Dispatch, as well. All in all, I appreciate the reporting, even if it might be misunderstood by the general public. I mean, the title alone isn't really accurate (there is no public funding for the stadium). And the blurb at the end about pissed off Virgil at the Expo Center is just warmed over news that, in all likelihood, doesn't have any substance. Which sorta gets me to this:

As was mentioned here recently, the Crew isn't exactly knocking it out of the park in the PR department tight now. There's a narrative to try and control, and when the club simply doesn't play a role in doing that, the void at some point will be filled by the general media (most likely the Dispatch in this town). Renderings, sure. But we've not heard shit about shit regarding the whole stadium/Mapfre projects in months. A little was learned last week via a couple of podcasts that only the rabid core of the fanbase ever listens to. Absent anything remotely exciting to report about the club and stadium, you're going to start seeing more of these confusing sausage-making articles that might be interesting from the perspective of someone who wants to know more about how large developments get done in Columbus, but just give the naysayers soundbites to present out of context:

"Public funding for new Crew stadium now up to $140 million..."
    "...with a “funding date” of Aug. 15 looming for the team owners and the public partners to finalize the deal..."
    "the team... would pay $10 a year to use the stadium for 30 years, with options to extend those terms another 30 years..."
    "The team has veto power over the city, county or new authority imposing any “special taxes, fees or assessments” on the team, stadium or Major League Soccer...."

The whole Virgil Strickler paragraph.

That said, I learned it's a $250M stadium - not including the land - which is a nice number to read.

EDIT: And I assume or at least hope that Inside Man might have some additional info on the stadium development side of things.

20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: the narrative: I (like to) think that we're currently going through the growing pains that very few MLS fans have gone through: Moving from an MLS owner who needs to control the narrative as the biggest part of the PR strategy to and NFL owner who doesn't give a sh*t about the narrative because he's dropping three quarters of a billion dollars into downtown Columbus whether the haters like it or not. There's some hubris that we need to get used to, and that's kind of nice.

Would I like to have a marketing/PR team out here refuting all of the falsehoods and misleading statements in today's Dispatch piece? Absolutely. Do I believe that the owners/operators of multiple multi-billion dollar businesses have a long range plan that includes marketing and PR when those things become important and relevant? Also absolutely.

Alneri, Tobias C, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I get that.

But that discounts that the news cycle is running with a story through the Dispatch that public funding has been raised by 25 million, is now at 140 million dollars, and that land isn't secured.

That is the news cycle. The article is linked. We can be ostriches about it, but it doesn't change that's what is in print.

Do I believe that this will all get sorted by August 15th? Absolutely. But this story is out there and the "adults" may want to counter that narrative whether it's through crappy renderings, or their side of the story.

Minnman and Draghignazzo repped this.
  22. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    stanger and hangthadj repped this.
  23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The article on the Dispatch page...no surprise that our favorite troll is at it again.
    https://www.facebook.com/8945512054/posts/10156540332152055/

hungariansteven repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I'll add is that the kind of PR we're talking about now isn't necessarily the same as what we need the team to be doing in the long term. In fact, it seems totally different. PR regarding a huge downtown development project isn't something that pro sports franchises are always going to be very good at (I mean, come on, sports stadium projects always seem to get some amount of bad press). Once the stadium's built, the "public" that the team needs to be "relating" to is its fanbase and corporate partners as regards ticket sales, suites, stadium and TV ads, sponsorships, etc. It's a different world.

stanger and LaMacchia repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree in principle, but in the case of the Disgrace article, is there really anything much that needs a response?

Is something in it untrue? Two different Haslam officials are quoted. They had the opportunity to deny the story. A story which, honestly, makes a lot out of not much.

If there was some huge community outcry against the stadium, maybe the news that another 25 mil is being coughed up would be tossing them some red meat, but although that seems to be the main thrust of the article, I doubt if much outrage will ensue.

I just don't think there's much to say. A done deal will answer any questions. Beyond that it's all hot air

stanger repped this.