Stadium Wants/Needs/Must Haves

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm sorry, but can we contain the Austin-related posts to the Austin-specific thread?

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TownKrier and @RoleModel83 have a story from Crewsmas about Dr. Pete saying something about our choice of wearing those hats.

3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was just sent a STM survey for the new stadium. I got an interesting battery of questions relative to my preferred seats. I am currently a lower sideline ticket holder ($550, for reference). Here were my survey options:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These "Lower level" tickets are all over double what I pay now. I'm happy to pay more per match in a new stadium--but over double would be tough! I'd have to rethink either my seating location or the number of matches I could afford. Or...maybe by the time the stadium opens I'll be making double what I make now and it'll be a moot point!?!?

TRUJDUB, catfish9, nkycrew and 1 other person repped this.
  5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, they're gonna need to sell a whole lot of corporate seats. Many of those on the west side/club seats are 5-figure commitments/seat/year. Significant perks included but I can't see very many non-corporate folks being able to afford that.

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just took the same survey. I was curious about premium seating so I did both. Let's just say, sitting in a box is out of my price range.

I'm East Preferred now too and would like "midfield" seats again if the budget would allow. I expected a significant bump, about 3x for midfield lower level and 2x for slightly away from midfield lower level or upper deck middle. Obviously these prices aren't set in stone and maybe there will be a ramp up period. I don't want to give up great seats but would rather go than not go. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion with my group.

7. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just took the survey, guess I'll be in the corners or endline based on those prices. I shall miss my lower sideline seats...

catfish9 repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My main issue is with the lack of west side seats, unless you have lots of $$$. Mrs KG refuses to sit in the east side seats due to the sun and glare--we've chosen end zone seats instead for events where our regular seats were not available. Not that I could or would afford a $1000 a year seat. $600 a year is close to what I am paying now. Mind you, I do not expect to get the same quality seats I now have at that price in a new stadium. But I do need to be near that price point. $60 a game isn't that price point, especially as I'll be getting closer to retirement at that point.

But, we sat in the end zone at Beaver Stadium for many years (and I was in South Stands a lot at tOSU games), and currently we sit in 227 at Nationwide, which is upper bowl corner, so that kind of seat is acceptable for us. However, it might just end up being a half-pack down the road (we're already missing most of the March and April games this season, as it is).

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to sweat the proposing pricing too much right now. I'm just happy to get the survey as it implies forward movement on the stadium project.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  10. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Yea I did several of the "I wouldnt choose any of these" Lower sidelines for $1700 a seat? Sorry this league is not a $100 ticket league. The supporter section was always $400-600 range in the different price asks.

11. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If the elements really are a big reason why people stay away the first couple months, then covering the fans might be worth considering

12. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    This one isnt bad:
    upload_2019-4-1_18-1-23.png

And I liked this one:
    upload_2019-4-1_18-3-14.png

But this one was really bad:
    upload_2019-4-1_18-4-44.png

Attached Files:

chr1st repped this.
  13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are most expensive full season ticket packages at Mapfre? They've begun to pro rate the pricing on the website now, and all of the Scotts Field Level packages are sold out (and I don't recall what they were going for).

I agree that $100/game is way beyond what I'm willing (or able) to pay. But there are always going to be some fans willing/able to pay more, for whom $100 isn't much money to drop on a ticket.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a roof, a seat on the east side could be possible.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll compare these theoretical prices with prices from around the league sometime this week when i get a chance.

$1,050 a ticket for penalty area sideline? Wow. Assuming that’s pre-tax and Ticketmaster fees. I wanna say penalty area sideline tix now are around $550-600? Thats... an increase. I expected a bump up for the new stadium, but damn.

16. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't expect the east side/west side split to stay. This seems like a generic setup just to gauge interest and price points, I think a more complete design will follow in the next few months and that the West and East side will both have similar options.

stanger repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the same one they used in the focus groups a while back. And I asked about it then.

18. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It looks like DC united’s new stadium to me. East side field level suites. No west upper deck. My comment at the end of the survey was that the field level suites look terrible on TV and that will lead to less revenue for the team. I hope they listen.
    I’ve been west upper deck for 20 years. I’d hate to let that go and I’m willing to pay more for it. I think the seating design is not ideal in this survey.

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Avaya Stadium that way, too? I agree that field level suites on the sidelines are terrible visually on TV.

20. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Scott's Field Level seats were going for about $3,250 for the season. I went back and looked at an old post talking about boxes/tickets per/etc.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Field level suites:
    1) You pay a boatload
    2) You get zero depth perception
    3) You can't see plays develop
    4) If in the Dallas NFL stadium, you see nothing but the heels and lower legs of various personnel standing on the sideline.

I fail to see the charm.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  22. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    People paying for field-level suites are there to take selfies. They drink and watch on the in-suite TV(s). Occasionally they look out at the live game/legs

puttputtfc repped this.
  23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    When I took the stadium survey, I tried to put a bee in their ear about scheduling. It won't matter if the stadium has a roof if people get soaked walking down from the parking garages at Front Street.

crew2112 repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reminds me of the season I had student tickets right behind the tOSU bench..... I shall never forget one Reggie Echols. Not because he was any good, but because he always stood on the bench--and not the seat but the top of the seatback. Our section cheer was "Hey Echols--Sit DOWN!"

25. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Crew and other MLS teams should look to how Bundesliga teams price their tickets. I wasn't able to work in a game while I was over there, but looking into it, I found prices to be very reasonable. The goal league-wide should be to get butts in seats so that it looks good on TV and increases the value of the media rights. Get fans in the door and coming back.

Or look at prices in the English Football Championship. We went to a Brighton match and I spent £20 a piece for 3 tickets in cushioned seats, I spent £80 total for 2 authentic Nike jerseys at the team shop and they had a nice "pie and a pint" deal for £7. I've heard the pie and the pint deal is now £8 since they moved up to the Premier League. We just don't get that same bang for our buck in the MLS.

There's so much criticism about how cheap FCC tickets are, but maybe FCC's pricing is the way to go, even in the new stadium.

Aaron d, hardhead and MLSinSTL repped this.