Stadium Update

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be miunderstanding the structure of the deal over there at Bannister, but I don't think OnGoal would have owned the real estate, i think Lane4 would have owned it, strictly speaking.

2. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they still put news on that, huh i thought it was just an ad paper now:rolleyes:

kinda surprised that the mayor has come out and said that it is dead, thought it'd be another week or so like 60-90 days.

3. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right I think. Honestly, I don't remember the semantics on who was to own what.

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought OnGoal was just going to own the stadium and hotel. I thought the other parts of the development was to be owned by a mix of different entities including Lane 4.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true, but I believe OnGoal was set to make money off of the surrounding area some how...

6. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would have made money at least from the fields, probably the hotel and most likely from the Pub.

7. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally would like to thank Robb for bringing a quality discussion topic to this forum that hasn't seen this kind of debate on something since yellow was introduced on the uniform.:D

8. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second...and it still sucks;)

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How is P+L bleeding money? I spend around $100 there every weekend! :D

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    After reading the article in the Star this morning I feel a lot better about this proposal. They definitely did a good job outlining everything that was going into this and stressed the fact that it is a proposal. We could very well see the Bannister idea through if KC can pull through.

I'm not a fan of the Legends location, but ultimately I feel like OnGoal is working really hard to get a quality stadium "somewhere" and "by 2011". I'm a fan of that.

11. ILiveonHillcrestRoad

Jun 29, 2008
    Shawnee, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  12. dr_gooch41

dr_gooch41 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful

Love the roof! Hopefully the stadium won't end up looking like a high stadium.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a terrible attitude about it, and way too simplistic.

this is another issue - the pub. part of the lure of the soccer pub was being able to go to it any day of the week to catch a game on tv. if that pub is out at legends, it just lost a lot of regular attendees that would've gone to it with the more central location. this is where the "destination" moniker backfires. people have to make a day out of going out to the legends, where catching a game and a beer at the soccer pub could've been an everyday-type of thing.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Beautiful

yeah, i'd like to get a better view of the actual stadium. all we can really see right now is the roof.

16. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

The Dotte is Kansas's fastest growing county, population, GDP, and wages.
    Grandview, which is 2 miles south of Hillcrest, made Forbes list as #8 in America's fastest dying cities this year. Future wise.......Los Dotte has got it going on, where Southeast KC is shrinking. It's a damn smart move. KCW will have the coolest building in the whole area and plenty of room to grow around it. Fire up those earthmovers and build the damn thing.

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I wonder how much of that 9 million comes from the Wizards and how much from Cerner? Full article here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2009/09/07/daily11.html

18. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true - and I thing they still _haven't_ given up on The Trails. Since I'm a bigger fan of that plan than Legends, I just don't want everyone else to give up on it either. If anything, I'm hoping to drive support so that we can possibly organize something in respects to messaging the council and the mayor.

As far as KCMO and what they could do about it - I don't think it is as simple as just working harder (not that you implied that, just saying). The fact that the whole Legends/Speedway development is built on STAR bonds and this proposal is trying to piggyback on them is the only reason this is even possible... they would never be able to get new STAR bonds for a project anywhere else in Kansas. KCMO has its hands tied in terms of how much they can do without putting the city at unacceptable risk.

Oh, definitely not - I don't think this is a ploy of any sorts... but OnGoal hasn't severed themselves from The Trails and I sincerely believe if the City/State/some random billionaire would make The Trails possible tomorrow that they would move forward with that without thinking twice about Legends.

---

I think that they had created "Three Trails Redevelopment, LLC" to do, at least, the land acquisition. I think that meant that OnGoal would be minority owners/developers/etc, but don't quote me on that unless you've verified it's correct first.

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
  20. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, so you're saying you're willing to take the _potential_ of hundreds of thousands of people over the actual existence of them? While Grandview isn't doing well, that has nothing to do with all of southern KC, Leawood, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Raytown and Lee's Summit.

---

One thing that I keep forgetting to put in is, I sure hope that OnGoal/Cerner offered a matching offer to KCMO that they're selling to the UG.

21. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

Yes I would, the Population in the Dotte is over 150k, and growing. So, where were all those potential Southeast KC fans when we were at Camarrowhead five miles up the road? They dont' exist, not as soccer fans anyway. KCK is WAY better, in every concievable stat, demographic, and infrastructure, than South Kc ever was.

Big Deal, you like south kc for personal reasons. Business Wise, you put the stadium in a growing area, vs. a contracting area. Hispanics are 1 in 4 in the Dotte and 1 in 14 in Southeast KC. If you pull OP out of your mix (because it borders KCK on the west side) then you are talking roughly the same number of people, but KCK has the growth advantage.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same place all the fans were at, not showing up for 1 reason or another.

Are you talking about the mythical Hispanic market that not just the Wizards but MLS as a whole have been trying to pull in for years with little success minus the signing of Blanco or playing a Mexican league team?

You said Grandview was shrinking, but what about the other southeast KC communities, like Raymore, Belton, Lee's Summit, etc, all of which are growing in size.

Again MLS has never (outside of one player signing or Mexican friendlies/SuperLiga) been able to consistently pull in the Hispanic crowd.

23. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Errrrr...

One of those lines is moving upwards and one is not... Though I'm sure those who haven't looked at the graph would probably guess wrong based off of your comments.

As per Overland Park, west side of KCK? In terms of OP compared to The Trails and Legends, it's ~20 minutes to Legends and ~10 minutes to The Trails.

Sure, folks didn't trounce out to Arrowhead in droves, but I-435 and I-70 is not considered to be Southeast or South KC in anyone (else's) book... The way you speak of KCK you'd expect sellouts months before the games at CAB, esp. considering the capacity issues. Still, I think that we will draw well in either location, as a new, shiny stadium will get people to come out and OnGoal is much better at marketing this sport than we had seen previous.

Business wise, you put the stadium in the place it's going to make the most money and you get the best deal, and business wise it may very well be a better move to go to Legends. I don't have a problem with that - Legends is a good place for a stadium. I personally believe that The Trails is better and I would have to believe that OnGoal doesn't disagree with me considering the time and money they put towards building a stadium there while there was nothing preventing them from attempting to pursue a Legends stadium over the last 3 years.

But you're probably right - I (being a SE KCMO soccer fan) must not exist. All the population data must be wrong, only hispanic people attend or will attend Wizards matches and there is absolutely nothing redeeming or worthwhile about having a stadium at The Trails.

24. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP since it now makes a statement that is at least slightly relevant.

25. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Changed for relevance and truth.