Stadium Proposal

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by spidermonkey317, Jan 10, 2019.

1. spidermonkey317

Oct 1, 2013
    Montana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stphnsn repped this.
  2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd like to see them build a stadium, but i don't want to see anything like the financing arrangements they've proposed in the past.

3. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The brief article on the club website makes it sound like they're looking at financing measures similar to what they attempted last time: taxes generated by the facility (now expanded to include the apartments, offices, retail, and hotel) would be used to finance the stadium. There's also a reference to "developer-backed bonds," whatever that means. The club is promising to pay all operating expenses and cost overruns.

There's too little detail to say for sure, but though this proposal might be marginally better (financially) than the last one, it also looks to be subject to many of the same criticisms.

4. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like a transportation nightmare. One of the great things about downtown is the interstates run in every direction so you can get the hell out of there just as easily as you get in, at least if you know where to park.

jeffcoop repped this.
  6. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Crew fan, I like Indianapolis for MLS. Would be a nice, easy enough away game.

The proposal seems kind of like Columbus' with the stadium just being the anchor of a bigger mixed use development, which is probably more palatable for the general public of the city, I imagine.

Hope you guys can pull it off!

BTL97 and jeffcoop repped this.
  7. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I hope so too. And I'm glad the Crew are staying put.

I confess that I don't really understand the inclusion of apartments in the plan. Game days and other event days generate crowds, noise, and traffic--none particularly conducive to residential living. I suppose that, if you're a hardcore fan, it could be cool to have an apartment with a field view, although watching from home would not be the same as being part of the stadium crowd. But as for apartments on the other side of the building, what would be the advantage to living there? Is not having to worry about parking or walking to the game worth it?

8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a selling point to get the project approved. locals don't want the area used for just a stadium that's used 20 times per year. they want attractions that are going to be used year round. apartments, retail, restaurants, etc. are all aimed at making the development an every day economic engine instead of just a game day one.

9. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I understand the desirability of a mixed-use development, and offices, bars, and restaurants (and maybe a hotel) make sense-stadium use won't usually conflict with office use, and both would provide customers for the bars and restaurants. But retail is dying, and I still don't understand the appeal of apartments right by a stadium from an occupant's perspective.

10. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when it comes to apartments/condos in close proximity to a stadium.... that sort of development is going to be most viable in your downtown, where the type of resident attracted to living in a dense, busy, lively area would be fine living next to a stadium...the same way they're fine with living next to loud bars. Mostly younger adults with no children, and maybe some empty nesters.

I saw the proposal for building in Broad Ripple. I don't know anything about Indianapolis or its neighborhoods, but from a cursory look at the area on Google maps, it seems like a burgeoning little hip neighborhood....but not a huge dense urban area like your downtown. Its possible an area like that might not appreciate a huge stadium plopping down...immediately adjacent to a bunch of houses. Minnesota Uniteds new stadium is kind of like that too though so maybe it could work.