Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 1: Event on Oct 18

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Channel 4 News at Six is about to have a story on the stadium fight after the break, in case anyone is watching and surfing the intertubes. ;)

edit: Sucktastic "what's on the NBC4.com" promo save for the last line -

"City officials say they'll fight to keep the team."

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is that picture from? The home opener? The reason I ask, is I was there and the one thing I remember is thinking "Well, that's interesting. He didn't promise us a stadium."

Does anyone have a transcript of his remarks? Because although I am no big fan (at least from the stadium standpoint) I have to give him credit for not lying through his teeth to fans on opening day.

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I took that picture on 10/29/06, the day we finished off NYRB in the first round of the playoffs.

4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMUPlayer, meet former President William Jefferson Clinton. Fenty's got nothing on him.

Or basically all of the other Presidents. We just can't prove it in all cases.

5. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 4: CHECK IN NOW

Falc, next time I'm CP visiting my parents I will check on this with an old neighbor who happens to work for MNCPPC in PG. I have a feeling she could shed some light on the possible CP locations. I almost certain it's near the CP metro stop, but a lot of that area that was available has been developed over the last few years.

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 4: CHECK IN NOW

Stags72 - I was wondering if any of the park land could be used. Do ask the neighbor. I remember looking at a satellite map of the area not too long ago. Looked like there was some land behind the ice rink. Seems to most logical spot to me.

By your moniker, DeMatha grad? I am a former Johhny Mop.

7. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Riz, I'm not sure how, but I think we need to find a way to use this image. I am thinking about emailing it to him with my next email and copying my councilman.

Other thoughts? T-shirts? Stickers? The cover for when we slap the 5000 signatures on his desk?

8. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD

Yep. DM Grad. u r not the only Jonny Mop at the games. There's also a guy from Gonzaga usually at the games. only missing a Carroll guy now.

9. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With the caption being the date, time, and his exact quote - I think that's an excellent idea.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm one of those glass is half full kind of guys. Maybe we shouldn't antagonize until after the due date is passed. He's said publicly that we deserve a stadium in DC. I just don't see the need to poke Cujo with a stick.

11. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    The first step would be asking the question "Hey Matt, would it be OK if we used your image?"

Not that I'd say no, but it's polite to ask.

Just sayin'...

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I have plenty to do with any pic like that but now's not the time, yet :D

13. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course - Blondie and I were speculating in here. :D

See above. Plus, it's called political pressure - and as two people who voted for Fenty/can vote for the next mayor, we and others like us have a certain amount of sway within the process.

And if you read back through this thread, I've been posting Pollyanna-style for a while now. ;)

14. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Fenty did his usual questions on Ch. 4 thing this morning. One of the submitted questions was why doesn't DC get its stadium when the Nationals got a free ride. His honor seemed to side step the question pretty deftly. He seems to do the same thing every week. Some variation of "We're looking into it" is the default answer.

15. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Me too - go Cadets!

Back on topic... nothing particularly noteworthy about the Fenty Channel 4 appearance this morning - other than Barbara Harrison calling the club "the DC United" and saying the stadium related email was one of "many" on the subject.

16. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
    Baltimore Sun new excerpts:

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How about an ad in the Post Express?

18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A stadium near College Park or Riverdale + planned/rumored weekend MARC service would be nice for our fans in the Baltimore area.

19. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah im never going to vote for fenty again

on the other hand the petition is now circulating the wakeboard scene as well as Boeing, Lockheed Martin and yes even the FAA! :)

20. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be found at:

http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...nt_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

21. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I respect Chico's view and have been thinking about it too.

I think we should be prepared to do more massive grassroots protesting of Fenty's apparant shift from promissing his commitment to work to put a stadium at PP a week before the election, to now, saying as he did to me Tuesday night, that he wouldn't be against a stadium at PP. That shift is significant, and to me, his decision to bid out PP WITHOUT a requirement that a stadium be part of the mix, represents a broken campaign promise for which he should be held accountable.

I also think that a more massive effort should not see the light of day until after the bid process closes. However, I think preparing for it now would be smart, because it takes time. And after the bids are submitted, there's only 45 days before Fenty will announce his choice.

So the work should begin soon. For instance, if we wanted to fly an airplane over a Fenty news conference, a collection would need to start, as would a discussion about what the banner should actually say. My thoughts aren't formed, but I'd picture something like:

FENTY CAMPAIGN PROMISE: TO BUILD A STADIUM AT POPLAR POINT

:D

22. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It would make drinking a lot less complicated! :D

I don't know the details of the projected weekend service, but I suspect that they will start with the Penn Line, which doesn't go to Riverdale.

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Sun story:
    From his official bio on the Maryland state government site:
    I love that Franchot is pushing this. On a long-term basis, we'll either end up with a stadium in DC at Poplar Point, somewhere else in DC, or somewhere in Maryland near DC at a Metro-accessable location.

It's all good.

And Fenty can suck it. :D

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Another big reason I'm glad we didn't elect Schaeffer!

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It would make drinking a lot less complicated! :D

I don't know the details of the projected weekend service, but I suspect that they will start with the Penn Line, which doesn't go to Riverdale.