Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 1: Event on Oct 18

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have at it, folks. :D

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com and What's Up With The RFEI?

What's Up With The RFEI?

Uh, I don't know. What the hell is the RFEI????

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com and What's Up With The RFEI?

Here's a link to that article I promised Riz at the tailgate.

Basically the new Radio One headquarters deal has all kinds of sweetheart enticements. Probably more of interest to district residents, but it's funny how some businesses (that left the city R-1, Redskins) get enticements to come back while other loyal companies get the runaround.

Radio One Deal Weighed Down by Social Static.

Thx,

Jay!

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh yeah, first page. :D

5. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

I right behind Jerimy!

ps-Where the hell am i?

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Why, it's the Request For Expressions of Interest !!!!

And it's coming for you too!!!!

:D

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Thanks for the new thread, Riz!:D

8. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Anytime, m'dear. :D

9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United

The Washington Examiner had a story last week that said the city issued $134M in bonds to help pay for the new Marriott hotel next to the new convention center. Now a hotel there is like shooting fish in a barrel and Marriott needed investment from the city? I guess that means DCU should get twice as much to build in the hardly-been-touched-by-development Anacostia.

Couldn't find the Examiner story, but here's the Bizjournal's
    http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2007/09/17/daily58.html

10. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

People - we gotta get moving. I mean, the Philly supporters have more signatures on THEIR petition: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581169

Send it to everyone you know, get it posted on websites, make it part of signature here and on other forums.

11. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

booo scary two faced mayor..... Hooray beer!

12. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

sent out a flyer through the greek council, sorority girls apparently love soccer, getting lots of sigs down here, helps a lot of nova folk come down here for school, and a lot of the 21 and up crowd head to the district to drink

13. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Hell yeah!!

14. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Riz, maybe it's time for that one aimed at travelers into our fair city. I'm sure we'd get tons of signatures from all who have been in their own version of stadium battles, and we could post our requests to the team forums, to MLS: N&A and General and ask that they e-mail their friends.

Another idea. I know that some on this forum are regular posters on other sports forums, such as Redskins and Caps. How about them posting a request for signatures?

The key is being known by those in another forum. For instance I'm pretty sure my request (already done and responded to on our request for e-mails to the mayor) on the RSL board would get a great response to a 'traveler' petition. For our current 'local' petition, the same should be true of Redskins and Caps (Duffman). Hell, maybe even for the Nats web denizens...at least for those that aren't expecting an immediate RFK implosion.

15. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ask and ye shall receive - the DC United Stadium petition for supporters wayyy outside the DC/MD/VA area: http://www.petitiononline.com/dcu2007/petition.html

16. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United

EB, As odd as it sounds.... the 9th street corridor where the new marriot hotel is going, is a blighted wreck of a strip... sure it has the convention center and the sorely missed infamous skate park... but its a shit hole of an area. This hotel gives me hope that the McFarlane Development at Poplar Point is not far behind, this hotel deal has been in the works since before the convention center went up...

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A new post by Marc Fisher: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2007/10/marion_barry_soccer_maven.html?hpid=news-col-blog

It's more of a Barry vs. Fenty piece, with United and MacFarlane in the middle of it.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten any commentary:

Marion Barry, Soccer Maven by our favorite WaPo columnist.

19. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

Marion Barry for Mayor!

20. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

ha, Marc better not write anymore about this subject, look at all the comments!
    wonder how long until wapo shuts down the comments again!

21. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

I dont remember anyone commenting on this, but if you did just disregard, but the dude from and now posted a response on his blog at the bottom
    http://anacostianow.blogspot.com/

22. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Okay, who's the goober that asked Fisher to come over here and explain himself? :p

23. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC

Not directly United related, but there have been some grumblings recently that Akridge is shopping the air rights above the railroad tracks behind Union Station. Maybe if Poplar Point doesn't work out - or would take too long - United Holdings could build a stadium development there.

Burnham Place website

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If any of us decide to go over there and post, in this or any other thread of discussion there, we should remember this: we're not posting in a private email conversation with the blogger. Our audience is not merely the person to whom you're responding. It's a public forum read by (among other people) other residents of the neighborhood. If we behave badly over there, however good it may feel to push that "Post" button, we're actually doing ourselves harm. Other people than the intended recipient will read what's posted and form an opinion not only about the poster, but about those ugly soccer fans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't engage in discussion over there. I'm saying that if we do, we should do it carefully, eloquently and respectfully." If somebody says something that pisses you off, get up and walk around and do something else until you calm down. Insults and rants in a neighborhood forum don't help us.

25. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

yeah im not even going to post over there, I just thought i'll bring it to attention,
    but im with bootsy, thats his blog, and we should keep it civil, as its mainly non soccer people reading it