Stadium Experience 2013

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Kryptonite, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider it a continuation of this thread if you will.

I'm probably just in a foul mood, but I also think I'm seeing/hearing the writing on the wall, and I'm not liking the way things are going.

1) Don't try to take an empty plastic bottle into the stadium if the temp is below 80. Apparently, it's considered contraband, although that's probably more about Sodexho trying to make an extra sale.

2) With that said, the whole CSC security pat-down resembled that of the TSA and was a little too much, IMO. "Unzip your jacket, lift your sweatshirt up, let's see your waistline, etc."

I was taken aback by a facebook posting that the ushers aren't letting people in to the almost-empty upper levels...yet, I was able to go into an upper level on the west side with no issues.

I missed this the first time, but that's what I get for replying via my phone.

All they really did was axe the Crew Ambassadors (who were low-key and almost blended in with the environment) and combine their duties of passing out the rapidly-dwindling pre-game handouts with what the interns did. Some of those Ambassadors had been volunteering at games and other events since the Ohio Stadium days. From the sounds of it, it seemed like the league wanted to limit the number of credentials given out, which was really weird, because ... one, why should they care, and two, 95% of the Crew Ambassadors just got basic stadium access in recent years.

I think the Crew Action Team are the interns, just with a fancy name. They're the ones you see running the "CREW" flags out onto the field pregame. Do they still have the cheesy megaphones and mini-soccer balls being thrown into the stands during the game? (Where was the CFO when we complained about the 6 y/o kids running up and down the stands during the game?)

Exactly! "Come join me after the game at the Upper 90 Club for Reverse Happy Hour" ... and "REVERSE HAPPY HOUR STARTS NOW!"

They tried for years to get people to go into the stadium club to the point where they opened it up to everybody, put autograph alley *in* the tent and removed the sides from the tent. Ever since the new CBA was signed, it became a little bit of a challenge to get people in there, but the mini-field seems popular.

Now, they want people to go to the other side of the stadium? It makes sense during miserable weather, but during the vast majority of the season, the kiddos will want to play on the field or wait in line for autographs while everyone else will want to enjoy the good weather.

I'd be shocked if this idea lasts until June. Now, the doofus with the microphone? They'll probably let him continue on. (I had visions of Nationwide Arena with the "Game Host" role they have.)

More later?

ZipSix repped this.
  2. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Burmese tiger trap"...I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Good stuff.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Needless to say, the bunch of people standing in the aisles over by the player tunnel pregame did NOT get lost on me. If it's a fire hazard in the Nordecke (which it is), it's a fire hazard all over the stadium.

To their credit, they quickly dispersed after the players entered the field, but there *were* signs there at one point. Either people don't read the signs, the signs are gone, or they're not enforced like they should be.

4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Myanmar. :)

5. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the discount pharmacy?

6. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand above the tunnel, and I did notice about 5 mins before the end of the half and 5 mins before the end of the game about 4 ushers lined up on each side of the tunnel clearing the aisle...

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two other things:

Remember how they'd announce those official post-game parties last year at places like Barley's? Yeah, we can file those in the "gone and totally forgotten about" category.

I also noticed that the large rock with the Fitz memorial on it was missing from over by the north side of the tent...did it move to the other rocks near the Lamar statue?