Sporting KC player national team news [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Feilhaber's corners were what impressed me the most.

Zusi is not an international level outside back. He's too slow. We could probably get away with him playing in the back in league play, but a couple times he was turned and had no chance - even running the angle - of getting back into the play should give Arena pause.

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, no way he takes that spot from Yedlin. He didn't seem any worse than Evans, though.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Brad is a year and a half older than Graham, and they're both on the wrong side of 30. Plus Graham fell as far as he did at the SuperDraft because people were concerned about his speed coming out of Maryland.

He's on the field because of his soccer IQ and technical skill, not because of his wheels. Unfortunately, outside backs internationally have got be able to run.

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think we're disagreeing in any way here.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    EPB

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    two qualifying group stages? For U-20s? With top two advancing? Come on. IMO EPB is one of the players most in need of a full camp with SKC. Every day with the club, he benefits. He's spent enough time playing against kids. he gains nothing from this. I think this sets him back by a month or two, because once the season starts it's a different thing. Set him back a couple months, he doesn't get the game time he would have otherwise expected, and by summer we're looking at a lost year, after a year of great progress.
    The fact is he's at a stage where if he's going to play nats, it should be actual nats (with the aforementioned exemption for the Olympics). He turns 20 this year. He has no need and gets no developmental benefit from playing in this thing. The U side benefits more from having him along that he does of being in this sham. Let's go St. Kitts...

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know. I think playing at the actual U20WC would be a great experience. Both personally and professionally. It will set back his integration with this year's club team, but I've worked a couple U20 World Cups and the level is very high, and very competitive. And the stakes are much, much higher than the long slog of a club season. It may retard his value to the club in 2017, but I think it's to the long term benefit to both SKC and EPB.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would agree that it's a high level of play for youth footie. But it is youth, and he's now one of the oldest players out there. It isn't a competitive situation he will ever again be in. The value of a U-20 tourney to a 20 year old is, IMO, limited. Also, I'd argue that it's a lower level of play than MLS and that the long term good of club and player is for EPB to integrate this year. I don't expect him to be with SKC in a couple years, so I'm not sure that he has another easily burned year in SKC terms.
    Even if he benefits (and I do not believe it's in his best interest), does SKC benefit?
    That said, he's gonna play so I wish him a great tourney.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    EPB with the goal (header off corner kick) as the U.S. beats Mexico 1-0 for the first time in 31 years at the U20 level.

It all but qualifies the U.S. for the World Cup. The U.S. is in a three team group with Mexico and El Salvador. The top two teams qualify.

And for those of you frustrated with his participation, I'd expect him to be the captain of the 2020 World Cup team.

Blando13 repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, but if he is why would a U-20 performance have anything to do with the captaincy? It will be based on his development as a player, and that will be seen through his professional career (and I hope a good bit of that at least is with SKC).
    He will start for the USMNT if he is the best option at this position. If, in three years, that's some cb who has never been on the U-whatever radar, that player will start.
    Regardless, is he right now good enough to compete with Brooks, Gonzo, CCV, MM, even Birnbaum, all of whom probably will remain in the picture (assuming Besler is too old by 2020 which he won't really be). If he is that good right now, he should be playing with SKC.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's captain of the 2017 U-20s.

The 2020 U-23s will be the same pool as the 2017 U-20s. Unless someone else steps up (entirely possible) and supplants him as the chosen leader of the team, or - if we qualify and one of the 3 overage players is picked - I'd say his odds of continuing with the armband are decent.

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    my bad, I thought you meant the full team by 2020.
    I should have noticed the lack of a cup in 2020

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Match report shows EPB being subbed out in the 32nd minute against El Salvador. I can't find any reporting on why, and I missed the game. The U.S. will play the meaningless Championship game on Sunday against Honduras. U.S., Honduras, Mexico, and Costa Rica all qualify for the U20WC

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Your boy wins player of the tournament. Deserved. Unfortunately, he got injured near the end of the final. A Honduran player rolled up on what looked like his achilles. He was able to limp it off, and came back at the end, and was limping around the field admirably, but yeah, he's injured. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Sachsen repped this.
  15. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger called up for HON for the next round of qualifiers.

NO USA players called up. Bruce didn't select Zusi, Besler, or Feilhaber. Wow.

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    JOYOUS

vividox and AndyMead repped this.
  17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber is the most surprising to me. Second is Zusi with the Yedlin injury, third is Besler.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I get a sense from the January camp/friendlies that Bradley and Feilhaber never completely got on the same page - either in training or during the games.

This is no time to ******** around. I'm a little surprised, but not shocked.

19. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Per Twitter, Dom Dwyer now has his US citizenship and would be eligible for the USMNT.

Might be interesting to see him play in a system that actually attempts to score goals.

20. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm more surprised that both SK and BF were not called up. I guess Bruce wasn't being serious when he said that we needed a better passer in the middle.

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a citizen, but he's not quite eligible for the USMNT. He has to apply to FIFA for a federation change. But it's a formality at this point, he'll be eligible soon enough.

The bigger question is, with Altidore, Wood, and Morris ahead of him, does he really have much of a chance? Wood and Morris are both younger, and Altidore is a different type of forward and a USMNT mainstay. I don't see him getting many looks unless one or more of those three guys get injured or their production takes a nosedive.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well that's what the pre-World Cup Gold Cup this summer and Camp Cupcake next January are for. To overturn the remaining rocks looking for roster fillers and injury replacements.

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena was in attendance for the Dallas game. I wonder if our inability to break them down and score a goal played into his decision not to take Feilhaber. None of our guys have covered themselves in glory the past two games.

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, Dom's got a better chance challenging Altidore, Wood, and Morris than he has challenging Defoe, Vardy, Rashford, Kane, Sturridge, and Welback. :ROFLMAO:

BenDover repped this.
  25. NathanSP

NathanSP Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Zusi called in after Johnson was injured.