Sporting CP Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Oct 31, 2018.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Thread to discuss the coaching change.

As mentioned in the other thread, a change was definitely needed. A 2-1 loss at home to a 2nd division team is unacceptable and the team shows no sign of improvement or even training.

Leonardo Jardim obviously comes to mind, but there are other names too:

Paulo Sousa
    Rui Jorge
    Foreign coach?

2. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Rui Farias an option too. Jardim obviously firsy choice but unlikely. Any coach that gets hired now is gonna have to face a lot of criticism for the rest of the season, womt be easy with this squad.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Jardim is known to work with young players with potential, couple that with some of the better players in the squad and he can at least get them playing some decent football and training well, not the sunday league stuff with Peseiro.

Although for all we know we go for a big name like Lopetegui..............................

4. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The problem is we dont have any young players with potential thanks to BdC. The benfica juniors bench would walk on to our juniors starting 11.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    How about the Braga coach?

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Looks like Tiago Fernandes will be interim coach until someone new is hired. Tiago used to coach one of the youth teams and this season has been part of Peseiro's team. Also, he is Manuel Fernandes' son.

Abel? He's not very popular among the supporters, but things could change. I don't see him leaving Braga though, they're tied for 1st and he has a stable squad and project. Jumping to the mess that is SCP now, I highly doubt it.

Looks like the most talked about names are Paulo Sousa, Jardim and of course JJ, remember Varandas was at SCP a long time as chief medic and has good relationships with all of them.

True we don't have much, but there are some. Miguel Luis has been training with the senior squad, and there is also Daniel Braganca, Thierry Correia. When I think of Jardim and what he did at Monaco with young players, I can see him taking a player like Wendel and finally giving him a chance.

Remember we had a terrible squad 5 years ago, worse still than this one and Jardim managed to get us 2nd place and give a chance to guys like William.

7. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I personally wouldn't want to see Abel here.

IMO the only player you mentioned that has potential to play for the first team is Braganca.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Italian media linking us to Aitor Karanka, whose currently coaching Nottingham Forest and previously coached Middlesborough. He was also Mourinho's #2 for a long time.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't what we need. Very negative coach as was learned from Jose. Not a strong choice.

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Miguel Cardoso the favorite. The dude who was sacked at Nantes after 4 months.

SMH. Should've just kept Peseiro if you're going to dumpster dive.

12. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    LOL everyone and their mother criticizing the decision. Sergio Conceicao says he sent him a text message and said it was unjust. Of course our rivals are sad to see him go.

13. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Honestly, as bad as Peseiro is, I don't know what purpose firing him will serve. No real manager is gonna want to come to Sporting with the squad we have right now, and no manager is going to be able to turn the season around. I'd be very surprised if whoever Varandas hires makes it to next season.

14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don’t agree. No way whoever he hires will be fired at the end of the season. Peseiro was always viewed as a stop gap. That’s why he was given a 1 year deal.

15. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #15 SCP21, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    I agree that Peseiro was a stop gap. But whats the point of stopping the stop gap and filling him with someone who by the end of the season the fans will be against? Whoever replaces him will have a very hard time getting the fans on his side by the end of the season, when the squad is so incomplete and lacking in talent, theres only so much a manager can do.

I think the firing would have been positive if we were in a place to get a Jardim or someone who could make a difference, but I think we'll end up with someone like Miguel Cardoso, which makes the firing pretty pointless and just another expense imo..

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Tiago Fernandes confirmed to be interim head coach for the match on Sunday.

17. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    This year should have been used to recoup money for the players that bolted and to develop and play young talent.....We were going to finish between 3rd and 7th anyways so who cares about the final results. Now next year we will be in the same boat floating along at the same speed.....wasted a burnt year for nothing

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lol what. We are actively working to recoup money and have already done so with Patricio. I don't understand what you're complaining about. Peseiro should've been fired. He was never the long-term answer.

19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Maybe Rui Vitoria will be available after today. Heh.

SCP21 repped this.
  20. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I still don't understand what "long-term answer" you're hoping to find.

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Someone who isn’t a career has-been that isn’t signed on a 1-year deal.

22. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Yes I agree we are trying to get money... But going into this season we were broke... So why did we spend money on old fat goalies for example and not just go %100 percent young since we never had any hope of winning anything this year anyways? At least we could have gotten some of our young guys experience instead of loaning some young promising players?

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    With Viviano's case, it was a BdC signing. This past off-season was the most ridiculous thing ever, because normally there isn't an election during a pre-season. We had a bunch of players leave, a president that was stuck to power and making signings himself, a coach that was hired and fired within 10 days, an interim board that came in and did what they could, some things good, some things not so good.

Anyways, some more developments today. Varandas was spotted flying back from Amsterdam and later confirmed he went with Hugo Viana (our new football director) to negotiate with our new coach. What he said was:

New Head Coach
    - Didn't reveal the name, but said that none of the rumoured coaches in the last couple of days are correct
    - Confirmed that the coach he is working to get is currently under contract at a club - would only be announced when his contract with his current club is rescinded
    - negotiations took place in Amsterdam (today the rumours are Mitchell Van der Gaag and Leonid Slutsky, I really hope not)
    - Confirmed there was "real interest" in Leonardo Jardim, but it never turned into anything because the coach "does not plan on returning to Portugal in the short term" (disappointed but not surprised)
    - wants a coach that reflects an "ambitious Sporting that assumes its favouritism in the remaining league games, and who plays an attractive brand of football"

Peseiro
    - rejected the notion that he made the decision to let Peseiro go immediately after the last match
    - says Peseiro is a good man, but the decision was his
    - finds it strange that some people are surprised with his exit when in the last 5 seasons he never finished a complete season at any of the clubs he was working

24. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Gonna be Sa Pinto again :D

25. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Im hearing all these names but no Jardim? He is available, isn't he? Why dont we try to sign him.