Spector Wonderland - The West Ham Revelation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sam Hamwich, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay in Europe Johnny, stay in Europe.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm puzzled. Your tense moves between past and present, for one thing. For another, his contract ran out, so he couldn't have "asked to be on the transfer list" right now anyway.

3. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    He could have negotiated a new contract. But didn't. Hmmmm...might have something to do with them being in the Championship

4. westhamerica

westhamerica Member

Apr 26, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a contract on the table, and a Jump To Conclusions Mat with your name on it.

5. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I will be surprised if Specs signs a new contract, but I've certainly been wrong before. I think it would be a bad move, but it's not my life.

6. westhamerica

westhamerica Member

Apr 26, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First you said, "Clearly his is a Premier League player."

As a fullback, he's a barely serviceable Prem player. As a midfielder he is better, but he is still an unkown quantity at that poisition. Yes, he had some good matches...but he also had ones where you forgot he was on the pitch.

Then you said, "he wouldn't have taken a pay cut anyway."

Surely a club offering to double the wages of a 25k player (Demba Ba, declined) can afford to give someone already on a relatively low wage a raise.

Next you said, "He could have negotiated a new contract. But didn't. Hmmmm...might have something to do with them being in the Championship."

He did, but he is looking to see what other offers are out there. It's called 'free agency'.

Next, "I will be surprised if Specs signs a new contract, but I've certainly been wrong before."

I will be surprised as well, but it would mean the options weren't as good as staying at West Ham... which brings me to:

"I think it would be a bad move, but it's not my life."

As relative to what? A move to Inverness? A move to 1860? A move to Real Madrid?

Seems like you're just posting for the sake of posting and ignoring the things that have been pointed out for page over page.

7. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    He should be able to latch onto a Premier League side. If not, he's settling big-time IMO.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just happened to see this and wondered why you think a guy who barely made the squad for a team relegated from the Premier League would be settling if he dropped down a division?

Who are you anyway? Spector needs to play, and if that means dropping down a division, good for him.

I wish him the best.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It might even be good for him to get an entire season as a CM in the championship so he is seen as capable in this position.

10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    He didn't barely make the squad- he got a good run of starts this year (and would have had more, had he not got injured in January), and he played particularly well against the best teams in the Prem like Man U., Chelsea and
    Man City.

Obviously, switching to midfield made a huge difference.

I think your comments are stuck in some sort of October 2008 timewarp in all honesty and you haven't kept up with the story since.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played when others were injured. He struggled at the back, was roasted at right and left back whenever used there. He had a few games at central midfield where he showed flashes of brilliance, but was plagued by inconsistency.

I've been a West Ham fan since 1993, and Spector's performance the past two seasons were very poor for the most part. If you would like I could ask other West Ham fans who were in attendance for all the home games and most of the away games for their comments?

12. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    to add to this...I believe Spector was voted most improved by the WH Fans. More importantly he's in his prime at 25 and has versitility. He's the type of player that could help a lot of teams as added dept or possibly as a starter.

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which West Ham fans are those? The fans in London that I know moaned everytime he was in the 18.

14. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Spector may be able to find a PL side. The fact that he has a decent amount of PL experincde will make him attractive to newly promoted sides who lack that experince and his postional versailty is also a boon for such teams lacking deep squads.

However any suggestion that he is too good to play in the Championship is laughable.

15. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. notredamefan83

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I think it's a major stretch and slap in the face to West Ham fans to claim that they are short-sighted enough to rate Spector higher only because of the overall poor performance of the team. It's okay to disagree. We simply disagree on this one. My eyes tell me Spector is a Premier League player.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We'll see who he signs with. I have heard he has interest from Hannover 96, if they call his agent - he should be on the plane right away.

Also, consider that Kevin Nolan from Newcastle just signed with West Ham to play in the championship.

20. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you blind or did you not read that at all? Matthew Upson was worst player and Spector was most improved... Good try though

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could ask you the same question.

1 person likes this.
  22. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Kevin Nolan only signed for West Ham because the new manager was the one responsible for virtually his entire soccer development. Situations couldn't be more different.

23. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Player of the Year: Scott Parker
    Runner-Up: Robert Green
    Young Player of the Year: James Tomkins
    Goal of the Season: Scott Parker v Liverpool (February 2011)
    Best Signing: Demba Ba
    Most Improved Player: Jonathan Spector
    Most Memorable Match: 4-0 v Man Utd (Noember 2010)

Worst Player of the Year: Matthew Upson
    Worst Signing: Robbie Keane
    Biggest Disappointment: Relegation
    Most Missed: Alessandro Diamanti
    Hackett of the Year: Avram Grant

Elsewhere James Tomkins was named Young Player of the Year whilst Jonathan Spector, who is currently mulling over remaining in east London, was named Most Improved Player."

hows did you come up with that conclusion smart guy?

1 person likes this.
  24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too quick on the uptake, are you? Let me make it easy for you. NDfan was simply pointing out that he'd been voted the worst player of the year the previous season. I can't verify if that's true or not, but based on what I saw of his play in 09-10, I'm betting he's right.

25. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and if you are talking about 09/10.... we arent talking about that, he is a completely different player now and thats completely irrelevant, Usually when someone says last year, they mean last season...