Spector starting: West Ham v Man Utd, league cup QF 11/30

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by glennaldo_sf, Nov 30, 2010.

1. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Matt Taylor for Rot Weiss Ahlen.

2. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. The position suits him physically better than outside back. His lack of quickness isn't exposed by pacey wingers. His strength and height is better used winning headers and dealing with the typically larger CM's. Oh and dribbling through the entire United defense! :D

3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Not that it helps our national team very much, but I have to applaud Grant here.

I'm sure most of us had assumed that Spector was out of sight, out of mind for West Ham -- that Grant had simply discarded him and moved on until Spector was sold or improved on his own. But if all of this time they've actually been working with him in training on this position change and it's suddenly paid off in a huge way, then all the credit to them.

4. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    lol he turns into a Drogba lol ;)

5. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector interview is up on Sky. They gave him MOTM as well.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT player shock performance of the year?

7. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avram Grant on Spector:

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    And for 3-5-2.

I thought he looked his best when playing in midfield for Curbs.

But, darn it, I missed the game.

More like the decade.

I mean, this wasn't ManU's top lineup but it was still ManU.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit. SKY should have held on for a few more seconds. I wanted to see Specs pop the bubbly, take a huge drink, and stare right at the camera and say "It's Specstacular baby!"

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not grab his crotch and point at the imaginary wristwatch?

12. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, Spector was a striker until he went to Manchester United. He played his entire youth in attack.

13. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. Also at the 1:00 mark of the Avram Grant interview he is asked about Spector.

edit: I see you posted the quotes above.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changed his position to midfield? Interesting. So he's been training for the better part of a month as a midfielder? Well today he certainly made his presence known!

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Spector's 50 yard run with the ball prior to the disallowed goal may have been the single greatest YA play of the century. And then his run on West Ham's 2nd goal (Spector's 3rd) may have been even better.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah that's too cliche. That's too Mathis. Clint is the only Yank bashful and arrogant enough to A) even think about it and B) even try it. But as I type, I maybe me mistaken, the other Clint could pull that off, too. :)

17. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    Funnily enough, there was some sorta injury situation in a youth match and he's been a defender since... 'till now :p

Early in the KUMB thread someone noted that this is the sorta story we yanks eat up... FACT! :)

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    EPIC day for Spector and EPIC win for West Ham.

This is one of those types of matches that can turn a season and a career.

If spector can hold form and play behind Parker, this team could can end up mid table.

Sure, they beat up a make shift ManU side, but Fletcher, Anderson, Gibbs, et al are pretty good quality.

Well done Hammers.

19. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, amazingly enough this was before the game. The guy also predicted he'd score two goals!

20. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
  21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Soccer Plus is showing the game again on replay at, I believe, 8pm est, tonight. I've already set my dvr.

and that West Ham United thread is some of the funniest stuff I've ever read.

22. Boian

Boian Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game for Spector! And he played c-mid. The outside positions fit him better, in my opinion. He seems to be the player that can adapt to any position on the field. I hope this game gets him on a upper trend.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, prior to this I think the best game I've ever seen Spector play for West Ham (and I won't see this one until I get home) was a few years ago, against, Man U.

24. poshspice804

poshspice804 New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    He scores with his left
    He scores with his right
    That boy Jon Spector
    Makes Drogba look shite.

25. westhamerica

westhamerica Member

Apr 26, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pass by here when West Ham and Americans cross paths, but spend most of my days in the KUMB forums. There have been a fair few who have seen this coming -- maybe not the goals -- but that Spector, especially after the loss of pace after the hip injury, is more acclimated for the center of the park. He's always had great instincts but has often lacked when having to mark pacey or tricky players.

I couldn't be more happy for Specs. He's been a regular target for the boo boys at the Boleyn and was regularly referred to as the American Christian Dailly. He has been nothing but professional since coming to the club and amazingly is the second longest serving Hammer in the side. Today was a victory that will long be remembered by supporters, and now Specs for better or worse from here on out will be cemented in our colorful history.

For anyone who wants to say this was a Manc B side...outside of Upson and Obinna, none of the other players would be considered in our first XI before today's match.