Spector, Holden: West Ham vs. Bolton 8/21 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Aug 20, 2010.

1. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we'll disagree then, because I think that is an untrue statement.

2. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolton wins. Nice game by Stu.

3. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Don't look now, but Stu and Bolton have 4 points to start the season.

4. TheJester525

TheJester525 Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Bay Area
    Yea, that was a bit scary. He took a last minute touch away just like when De Jong tackled him. The difference is that De Jong never intended to go for ball.

5. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    We can test it in 35 minutes.

6. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a small amount of this kicking around the thread today, huh?

Glad to see Holden and the boys grind out a fairly ugly win. It's definitely not going to get easier as the season progresses, so let's hope that Elmander has found his shooting cleats and that Lee now realizes which team he plays for.

I thought Holden had a solid game - my MOTM after Elmander (it amazes me that I'm typing that). Good passing, good runs off the ball, a good shot on frame from distance. What more could you ask for?

7. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

8. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Holden's positional sense is exceptional. He does well to close down the passing lanes while defending and he makes really smart runs.

His late near-post run on the second goal drew the defender wide which left Elmander 1v1 with his defender. If Holden parks himself in the box for the cross and doesn't make that run Elander has a defender standing ball side of him and he wouldn't of had a clean header.

9. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only watched the second half, but I was also extremely impressed by his positioning. Holden always kept the team shape. He was in the right place on defense (every time), he provided outlets in transition, and he ran with the attack. Those nasty gaps that happened for the US in the World Cup did not happen for Bolton in the second half.

10. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great minds. lol

11. Colombolq

Colombolq Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what you are talking about dude, I just watched the game live on my tv in my living room on DirecTV channel 624 (FSE).

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  13. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm....
    If Holden isn't skillful, then no Yank Abroad is. Stu has been showing class on the ball.

1 person likes this.
  14. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    That doesn't make any sense. Clint Dempsey is by far the most skillful yank abroad. Much more than Holden.

15. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does make sense if you have been watching how Holden has been playing for Bolton. He constantly looks like one of their best, looks like a natural in center midfield in the EPL, and I think you'd be challenged to find ways in which Stu's game falls short of Clint's in skill or any other area.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It's tough to compare a Premier League career of 4 matches and 1 cup match to a Premier League career of 111 matches and 30-50 cup matches.

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3285926,00.html

Skysports Rating: Stuart Holden, 7 - Influential figure for Wanderers

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Easy on the Stulove Junior, Dempsey a step above in strength, against tight marking and making something out of nothing.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I think people forget how hard it is to step into this kind of situation and simply play correct and attentive football.

He is winning a lot of 50/50 balls at midfield, he is making the right pass and he is attacking in a low-risk manner.

This amounts to his 4th or 5th match in the EPL and he seems to be completely at ease.

That is simply astonishing.

19. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    More skillful than Holden? Quite possibly. Much more so? I don't think so.

Holden won't pull off flashy or dazzling moves, but he's always seemed extremely technically sound to me - very reliable with his touches. Soccer skill isn't measured in stepovers per second.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    why would I take it back? I have seen him play at least 20 times. He is a damn good player, plus he has good skill. Not exceptional skill but good.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    which is why I said he has good simple skills. That is a compliment, not an insult.

22. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Stu's game but let's back the truck up a bit here. Call me when he's putting two in against Chelsea, daggering Juve in a Euro quarterfinal or placed on a major European paper's EPL First XI.

Let's give him some time before we start the silly comparisons. Their games aren't all that similar anyway. If anything I'd compare him to a young Danny Murphy. Attacking CM, always in position, good sense about when to go forward or possess the ball, not much flair per se but good creativity.

As Sam said above, it's a real accomplishment just to be able to walk on to an EPL team and look like you belong, let alone being one of his team's best performers.

23. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    So if he said "no Argentinian has Messi's skill on the ball" he be dissing Argentinian soccer players? I don't see how saying that someone is more skilled than other people in our pool is dissing our players.

24. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    by that standard then, Dempsey is the only American player who is better skillwise. Donovan is not. Jones might be, but depending how he comes back from long injury.

25. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to provide a second echo to Sam's comment that one of the most impressive things is his seamless transition into an EPL starting job. What other American, save Donovan (who is much older and is our best player), has jumped right in and looked like he belonged? Very impressive, and an encouraging start to build upon.