Southampton vs Liverpool FC - EPL - April 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 2, 2019.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    with Hendo and Millie we have 2 players who really understand the dynamics of the game. perfect players to go out and bite into a few tackles and be "verbally aggressive". top-level management by Klopp, because that's exactly what we needed to shake Soton up - not simply fresh legs.

once again I bow to Hendo's impact and smarts .... recognizing that we needed to run hard at them from MF, getting Klopp's OK to do it, then doing it magnificently.

speker repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    right on. small things can make a huge impact, such as Mane's great challenge. also not much attention being paid to Matip's pinpoint 50-yard pass to set Bobby free. you know that if a City CB had done it we'd be seeing replays for weeks.

kopiteinkc, Red Bird and newterp repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! Matip pass was amazing.

Red Bird repped this.
  4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As was his driving the ball from the back.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Teamwork, eh?

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Managed to see the whole match in my office - wow! Henderson looked like he had been deprived of raw meat for a year

What an impact - I like him playing further up the pitch and his passion and leadership were superb

I am using “verbal aggression” from now on - brilliant

Samarkand repped this.
  7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL. :)

kopiteinkc repped this.
  8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #133 usscouse, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    One little bitch, yeah I know. The comms and a couple of posters here mentioned that our first goal was dubious because the AR missed a OS call by inches that happened at least four more plays wing to wing and a couple of minute before the goal.
    Yet nothing had been said about the OF call that wasn't, by more than a couple of feet, when we looked in a good position to score.

OK carry on.

Note to Klopp. Must keep Hendo in a cage and poke him with sharp sticks before games.

imasyko, newterp and kopiteinkc repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hope, for the love of god, that when VAR comes in next year SOMEONE shows some common bloody sense and realizes that a player's toes - or eyebrows - being an inch or two ahead of the defenders does NOT give any kind of material advantage and shouldn't be called offiside.

I know, I know .... "common sense" means very little these days ...

soccershaggy and usscouse repped this.
  10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When I was a kid my older brother would wind us up before a match and try make us angry and take it out on the other team - I have to wonder if he made it to St Mary’s last night!

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you have time at all, don some rubber gloves and browse blue moon— should be blue fine. Utterly hilarious.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While it wasn't a couple of minutes, it was definitely a couple of separate plays before the actual goal; which would render VAR helpless in the matter.

Graham LeSaux really was having one against us last night. It was horrible having to listen to his incessant whining about anything that remotely went our way. According to him, Keita should've been booked for a dive and "threw himself to the ground" even after video replay shows he was clearly fouled.

upload_2019-4-6_9-46-59.jpeg

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #138 newterp, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    And boy was he ever fouled .... they went so far as to claim he was already going down (not remotely true) and that there was only a little contact (it’s was huge contact).

14. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League-best 16 points won from losing positions

soccershaggy repped this.
  15. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or...

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That win means we have officially qualified for next season’s CL.

Man City have yet to do so! :p

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    More than a few times this season, especially since Christmas, I have wondered why Klopp has, in big games, gone with the midfield of Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner. It’s obviously the trio he sees as his most reliable. Fabinho has made a serious claim that he should be one of the three, while Keita, Shaqiri and Lallana have made cameo appearances. But HMW it is. I don’t see that midfield as being creative, but it is very workmanlike.

I think the performances of Milner and obviously Henderson have gone a long way to showing us what Klopp has in mind with that midfield trio. Perversely, of course, it wasn’t HMW in midfield, Milner played at right back and Wijnaldum was on the bench. But I think we saw what Klopp sees. Leadership, allied to footballing nous and prowess. I’m still not sold on HMW, but I do understand better why.

imasyko and Navieko repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The midfield of Henderson Wij and Milner is Workmanlike. It’s not going to create however, but it will control (against many teams).

Experience aside - it’s not one I like seeing. It forces the front three and the fullbacks to do a lot of work.

soccershaggy repped this.
  19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the big difference against Southampton was that Henderson was playing further up the pitch. Along with Milner they were both pressing high

They also brought energy and determination which seemed to be lacking

I thought Fabinho was poor to be honest and Keita started slowly but grew into the match

We may see more of Henderson in an advanced role for the rest of the season

20. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Soton was very well-organized defensively. Also, crosses from TAA and Robbo were only fair. One from Robertson was so over-amped that I'm sure Klopp nearly had a stroke.

Henderson REALLY wants this. He's a dependable passer from anywhere on the pitch and, while he doesn't have the pace anymore to track back effectively against pacy midfielders, he's positionally solid.

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The midfield issues were a function of a few things:

1) Redmond and Bertrand overloaded on Trent and Matip, who couldn't find their way out. They got anxious and their passing was poor, which spread throughout the team. Salah couldn't hold the ball up against Westerveld who was excellent all game. Matip couldn't win a long ball against Long and they kept getting the second balls.
    2) Gini seems to have hit the wall. He's a yard off the pace and he wasn't able to help us control the right side. His poor play dragged Fabinho and Keita out of positions they are comfortable in and put more pressure on them.

While Keita clearly has talent, he's not yet able to impose himself on games when things aren't quite right.

For the past month or so, I thought our midfield should be Gini, one of Hendo/Fab and 1 more. For the next couple of games, I think we should be going Fab and Hendo, plus 1 more. Given that foundation, I'd expect we'd see a strong 90 out of Keita if he was to start against Porto.

Suss and newterp repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gini is definitely struggling. Not helped by having to keep playing full games for the international break when Salah, Mane and others were able to rest.

dcc134 repped this.
  23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's played something like 1000 minutes more than any of the other midfielders. He's gotten us to this point, but now its time for other the carry us for a while.

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its actually 1200 more minutes and a lot of kms.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wow. no wonder he's burned out.