Southampton vs Liverpool FC - EPL - April 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 2, 2019.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]
    vs

[​IMG]

20:00 Fri 5th Apr 2019

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Banana and skin writ large! No underestimating and just get the theee points.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Huge game. We won’t play one that’s not.

I would go 4-2-3-1 with four forwards.

Allison
    Trent Lovren(?) Virgil Robertson
    Wijnaldum Fabinho
    Mane Firmino Origi
    Salah
    Origi does a good job on the left. He is a handful with his pace and size and he is a threat to score. Having him stay out wide on the left opens up space for our other 3 forwards and allows them to work in close proximity to each other.

Matip is due for a rest in this one. It’s likely that Lovren comes in, but it would be great if Klopp thinks that Gomez is ready.

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that line up, but do we really want to throw Lovren in just to get booed non stop by his old club and lose his head?

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Didn’t think of that. Won’t they be too busy booing Virgil to bother with Dejan? Without former Southampton players, it will be tough for us to field a team.

imasyko and newterp repped this.
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would play the same formation, but maybe rest Wijnaldum and play Henderson, and prob start Shaqiri and bring Origi on for breakdown pace after 65 mins...

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Henderson.....He was so bad on Sunday.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Play all their ex players and they won't know who to boo!

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just keep the damn ball away from Ward Prowse!!

10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Possibly, but Klopp never rests Wijnaldum and never plays Shaqiri anymore.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dejan gets it because they know they can get in his head. Would be pointless with VVD or Mane.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We might see Keita on Friday. Not sure if he'd start but I think he'll play some part in the game. Hopefully his injuries are taken care of now.

dcc134 repped this.
  13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long as Fabinho starts just about every game from here on, I've no problem with Hendo playing beside him.

I don't think any of our midfield options are a walking trainwreck waiting to happen for any of them not to play (well, except if Lallana plays against anyone but Huddersfield), and for the most part its a much of a muchness who ever he picks.

Fabinho just makes everyone better and he's one of the few on the squad who have actually won a league title.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised if he started - hasn't played for us in 5 weeks? But maybe a sub as you note.

dcc134 repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Right now would be the perfect time for a fit and rested Naby to step in and show us the player we bought.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We’ve been saying that for months.

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wouldn't that be nice.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 EruditeHobo, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    I totally agree, what's the harm in using him? I mean, Klopp might not use him, obviously. He seems uninterested in really using him... but all of Milner, Hendo, Gini looked more than a bit tired. Wouldn't mind at least 2 of them resting with Fabinho and Naby getting the start.

I'd stick with 4-3-3, I don't feel a need to put Origi out there. But if it happens, I'd hope he can play well because he has looked good in his spot minutes this season. So if he does gets a start at some point, I think he's earned it.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually don't think Naby gets enough credit... he's been often injured and used very sparingly. I don't know if he's necessarily EARNED more minutes, but in moments he's been really, really good. He might need to be brought along a little more, but I think he's shown exactly what he can do. If he's just a LITTLE bit luckier the guy would be directly responsible for, what, something like 3-4 game winning goals in a limited role?

Don't get me wrong, when he's been bad he's been bad... but if you can't come on against Southampton, with Fabinho behind you, when can you get a chance to prove yourself?

soccershaggy repped this.
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree with all that, basically...

ps- folks - Wolves result against United today is good as it (given arsenal;s form, and chelsea and Spurs on top of them) puts them under a bit more pressure to play against City at OT.....
    I'll be urging them on from my bizarro world that day ...
    wheee-heee.....

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statistically Naby has been absolutely fine. I'm not really sure when he's been really bad, other than in a few moments here and there. Klopp just has pretty good options in midfield and has talked recently about playing those who are good at defending set pieces. I think that hurts both Shaq and Naby. Naby getting beat at WH is something he rectified in games after that, but we don't really have time for players knocking off, even for a second.

I agree this would be game to give him a chance, especially considering Gini's volume of minutes seems to be catching up to him.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fair point re: set pieces.

Statistically, in an overall view and in limited minutes, yeah I think he's been okay, or mostly fine... and as I said, in certain matches I think he's been brilliant. I don't think LFC can complain much about the officiating this year, but the fact remains if the ref were to have spotted Naby's penalty LFC would have 2 more points right now and the title still in their hands, and it would be due directly to a great piece of all-around attacking that Naby did that went unfairly unrewarded.

However, considering his talent, in terms of the numbers it's easy to find places where he has just not been absolutely fine -- his dispossessions and unstable touches far, far outweigh his dribbles and key passes, he's dribbled past more often than he's dribbling past people (slightly, but still), his forward and through ball passing hasn't been what I know he's capable of, etc. I'm sure there's a couple more things if we really did a deep dive on this.

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just have the feeling that if he had played a lot more those stats would have upended and he would be seen closer to the player we watched highlights of at Leipzig. An undoubtedly above average, near world class, talent ... But it's worth keeping in mind that we've had that before in a supposed key acquisition which didn;t pan out as planned .... (Aquilani)

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mean while, spurs and chelsea win to keep the heat on United....

good!

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think so as well... but regardless, the numbers are what they are; the reasons behind that are secondary when we are just talking about the numbers.

But I agree there are lots of contributing factors to his not-great numbers, no question.