Sounders Secure Fredy Montero

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Lucho305, Jan 23, 2009.

1. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Freddy Montero (Colombian- Top Goal scorer in Copa Mustang) to stay with Sounders in MLS.

Who?

2. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Re: Freddy Montero (Colombian- Top Goal scorer in Copa Mustang) to stay with Sounders in MLS.

Galvan Rey was very in his second season, and forwards often take a little while to adjust.

This looks like a very good pickup for Seattle - I think they're on track to break the recent trend of expansion teams being uncompetitive in their first season.

4. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    That is, if they avoid defensive injuries. Having Taylor Graham anywhere near your starting lineup could be a recipe for disaster, unless he's gotten much better recently.

Offense looks good, though.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

What sort of money is the guy going to make?

The hush-hush DP or huge upfront bonus handed over to his handlers under the pretense of the trandfer payment and a sub-$400K salary?

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

I, like you, must be getting cynical in my 30s, because all this to me just seems impossible--why would the 21-year-old, Colombian-league-leading goal scorer, recent national team starter go to an expansion team in MLS which has already spent its DP outlay and is going to play on fake turf?

People say "what about Juan Toja?", but Toja was rotting in the River Plate reserves and, at the time MLS got him, was nowhere close to the full national team, which he has subsequently played for.

The other odd thing is that this "deal" has been known about and in the offing for so long. Montero-Sounders have been linked for many months now. And why would a guy go to Seattle to "train" in January, anyway? The feint toward Europe seemed half-hearted at best.

This guy should, by all rights, whether he's the real thing or just a one-trick pony, be cashing in right now in Mexico or Europe.

Either he's on the cover of the next XBOX Soccer game, or there's something about his "pass" that has European teams afraid of signing him (ahem, West Ham, ahem) that we wouldn't care about over here.

The soccer reporter who gets to the bottom of precisely why Freddy Montero came to MLS in all its gory detail should get a Pulitzer.

7. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dosn't matter, we got him. ;)

8. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he knows what field turf is?

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. His away day at Atlético Bucaramanga; was the first to use it in Cololmbia last year
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I am sure he signed the contract without talking to the owners or getting a tour of the stadium. :rolleyes:

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Well, I am way past 30 :)() but, if I were Fredy Montero, I could only look at Hugo Rodallega and think much like Estelle Reiner in "When Harry met Sally", "I want to have what he's having".

And Hugo went for $6M and I am sure Wigan is paying him handsomly every week.

Or stars in one of Joe Roth's movies.

Who owns his "economic rights" beside MLS and who owned it before?

Hey, I like the infusion of talent into the league and could care less about the so-called parity.

Plus, I don't want the Galz to have an easy go of it in the West against a subpar expansion team.

Or San Jose.

12. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    lots of stuff we don't know about here. at least that's what it makes you think.
    money going into fm's pocket by a route other than official salary is not only possible, but could put the league in an interesting situation. of course you couldn't get ribery and pretend he's making <dp salary, but with a 21-year old kid not proven outside colombia, it may work. i guess it would be a run-around of cap rules. good for the quality of mls soccer. but the league has been so watchful of player transactions that you wonder how far they'd let this sort of thing develop. personally, i'd love to see most mls teams 'do a montero' by finding the way to circumvent the strict limits of mls salaries.
    but maybe there's another factor too. the european big money machines may be sputtering to a halt. even chelsea's position is a bit muddled. fm had interest from betis? ok, but it may be that at present that competition is not as formidable for mls as it was a couple of years ago. if the dollar strengthens to the euro and the european leagues start budgeting more carefully, mls might get a few more players like fm.

13. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    :rolleyes: right, because in Colombia we all live in huts and are pretty much getting familiar with Television. Wait, I'm not supposed to be here, we don't have Internet...

14. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barring his apparent ignorance of the use of field turf in South America, I'm positive that he wasn't taking a shot at Colombian people or culture, But rather assuming that Colombia plays only on grass. His comment was tounge in cheek and I didn't read a hint of racial overtones in the comment. However, if you want to make it into a race thing, go ahead and be a fallacious, ad populem spouting prick.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Awesome Hair?

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's whatever with that, what about las bellezas and mamacitas?

17. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

plus we all know Sigi ate Juan Valdez... :p

Anyway.... I like this move by Seattle.... Maybe Drew Carey paid for this guy himself....

Seriously though, for such a young organization, this is one hell of a move.... Hopefully Fredy pays dividends in the end for them.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Montero

19. STpassion

STpassion Red Card

Apr 7, 2008
    South of Turnpike
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hear FM will be a regular at Price-Is Right..

20. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

Not to rain on the Seattle parade(No pun intended), but FCD had a Colombian who was great in MLS and professed his love for the team. Then at the first sniff of a European team coming for him, he tanked it in practice and in the game and was off at the first chance.

I give Montero one year, though Seattle may be able to make some nice money on him, depending on how much they paid for him.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

EstebanLugo -

Dumb and proud!:p

Come on. Neg rep me. Go ahead. Just makes me laugh harder little boy.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He better not be one of those showcase models, wearing leotards and a pound of make-up.

23. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ooow Did I hurt your feelings, little girl? So sad...

24. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah sorry we just assumed you were backwards because you support internazionale milano

25. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    LOL that's the kind of smack you can't respond to because you're too busy laughing. You've just taught a lesson to many here.