Soony Saad

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by oldntired, Oct 19, 2013.

1. oldntired

oldntired Member

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think Vermes has ruined Soony. All this talk about how he needs to do all the other things to get into the starting 11 is Bull. He needs to shoot and shoot often. Sporting has 10 other players that can give max effort and run around the field like maniacs. Every time he gets the ball around the box he is now looking to pass. You can tell it has been drilled into him. Play defense, pass the ball, pressure, pressure, pressure. Don't listen to em Soony. Get the ball, shoot the ball. The team needs goals more than anything else. By the way I don't know how Dom scored all of those goals in Orlando, but he doesn't look good to me at all. Last nights goal was a gift.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny cause I think he's been playing better since he stopped taking all those shots.

3. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah his shot selection was pretty poor.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I'm fine with a guy taking shots but Saad's shot selection when he was just starting was quite poor.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Soony is twice the player now than he was when he arrived at SKC. His positioning is better, his off the ball runs are better, and he is now a play maker. In college ball, you can wait around for someone to slide you a pass so you can take a lot of shots, which he did then, but it does not work in the MLS. The defenders are too fast, too savvy and too athletic. Once he got tougher and aggressive to the ball, his effectiveness increased. In PVs soccer world, if he goes back to just taking shots, he will find his place back on the bench.

mschofield repped this.
  6. oldntired

oldntired Member

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He may be a more well rounded player, but that is not what the team needs. If you want someone to play really hard than play Jacob Peterson. He has a great work rate. I think they are wasting Soony's scoring ability. Same with Feildhaber (sp). Sporting is not going to win a championship without any scoring punch. By the way Sporting was lucky to beat a historically bad DC United team. Sporting gave up some can't miss opportunities that DC United found a way to miss. Sportings goal was luck. They need to turn Soony loose. Play Bieler and Feildhaber and no I can spell their names. They are going to have another early playoff exit if Vermes keeps running out his max effort d

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Soony's not going to be our "scoring punch" even if Vermes did "let him loose."

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something for you, Saad is tied for 4th on the team in goals with 4. He's 2nd on the team in shots with 54 (7 more than 3rd place Zusi). Means he's scoring for every 13.5 shots he takes. Even Kei Kamara who many on this board got after for his erratic shooting scored 7 on 42 shots this year. Saad needed to cut down on his shots because his shot selection was incredibly poor.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while i generally agree that dom doesn't look like he's our answer up top, i must say that i thought he did well with his goal. it looked really easy, sure, but the way he went about it showed maturity as a striker. at the beginning of the year, i think he tries to take it right away and probably turns it wide trying to get it around the keeper.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, totally agree. I though Dom had a pretty good game on Friday, he was really putting in the work.

Again, it all comes down to our team. We simply don't play a game that showcases our center forward.

11. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yea it was a gift from PETERSON JOSEPH'S pressure. But you know just because it's PJ he had a bad game;). Also it wasn't completely a gift he himself did show composure with the finish. But you know just because we have a CF that's not Bieler he has a bad game as well;)

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought it was sapong that was pressuring.

13. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got it wrong on the broadcast... it was HX.

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chances are only easy if you score them. We have bitched on here about finishing. A guy scores and then it was "too easy". He scored. We won. Be happy.

Yes, the team performance was shabby and we did not look like a championship team. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we did.

As for Soony, I think he is better suited to the middle than the wide forward position, but then so are Bieler and Dom.

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know Soony gets a lot of flack for his shot selection, but he DOES have a good shot. He picks out the corners very well and can finish some quality goals. A combination of good shot selection and a good shot is deadly, he's just not quite there yet.

I'm really high on Soony in general, for what it's worth, but I kind of like him outside of that center forward position. His ability to hit the corners of the goal as well as his crossing/passing abilities make me think he's a lot better on the wings or even in a withdrawn forward role than that a target/center forward.

16. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And CJ, and Teal... I think Zusi and Peterson are our only two players that are better wingers than CF. I think it was debatable with Kei even.

Edit: I guess Myers too. He hasn't played there often but he's an emergency winger.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vividox repped this.
  18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, I got the winger part right at least.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    many many moons ago...you will not be held responsible...I'm just happy that I found an appropriate thread to place the link...yesterday it was removed...