Someone give that man an Oscar!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SJEarthquakes, Oct 10, 2002.

1. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    OK. Garcia's acting job was so pitiful, but the ref still bought it. He gave Jay a red card, but then turned around and gave Garcia a YELLOW?!?!?! Someone explain this to me. As long as refs buy this ***************, people like Garcia are going to keep acting!

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    agree. Still, in that situation you have to do what Mastro did at the world cup- don't move a muscle.

3. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garcia's yellow must have been for getting in Heaps face in the first place. That would seem to indicate that had Heaps just pushed him he would have only seen yellow, but it was the severity of the retaliation that warranted red. Of course it is a moot point since he had already been given a yellow for the tackle itself.

Now if the yellow was for acting that raises all sorts of questions.

4. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps' red was probably for Violent Conduct (VC). VC can be the actual physical striking of an opponent or the attempt to do so.

Therefore, the referee could have given both the VC red card to Heaps' and the Unsporting Behavior yellow card to Garcia for embellishing the foul...or as you said Garcia's may have been for Unsporting Behavior prior to the headbutt.

Scott

5. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Heaps dropped his head and broke eye contact which made the foul deliberate.

Had he been eye to eye and jawing with Garcia maybe he gets away with it as an accident

But by doing his best charging bull imitation he rightly saw red

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Heaps dropped his head and broke eye contact which made the foul deliberate. Had he been eye to eye and jawing with Garcia maybe he gets away with it as an accident..."

So you're effectively saying that it could not have been deliberate if he kept his head up and maintained eye contact? He could have done both and still nailed Garcia with a head-butt.

Heaps was ejected through enforcement of FIFA Law 12 - Fouls & Misconduct, Sending Off Offences including:

1. Is guilty of serious foul play
    2. Is guilty of violent conduct

Both offences could be applied to Heaps' action in ths instance. Discipline of said offence is handed down and determined "according to the nature of the offence committed." (Decision 1)

Heaps could also have been found guilty of any number of Cautionable offences after the initial foul, any number of which could have been enforced with a second yellow and an automatic ejection.

Pretty straight-forward.

I just wonder whether MLS is going to levy a stiffer penalty than the automatic one-match ban?

The Magpie

7. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Actually what I was trying to say was that if Heaps maintains eye contact that it MIGHT have appeared to be an accident

But by doing the el toro he ruined whatever small chance he had of getting away with it

8. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    That's what we need after 3 ejections in the playoffs, defenders trying to get away with headbutts. Maybe Rasov will spend the winter learning the art of the subtle stomp.

9. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    If Garcia can be so protected, why not Twellman?

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Actually what I was trying to say was that if Heaps maintains eye contact that it MIGHT have appeared to be an accident

O.k., that makes more sense.

The Magpie

11. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    according to what i've read/heard somewhere (?). garcia's yellow was for game disrepute. i'd have a hard time believing they'd give it to him for trying to get the ball from heaps....it had to have been for the excessive nap he took after. if that's the case, it certainly calls the refs decision into question if he thought garcia was even remotely faking.

well, if garcia ever gets some real skill....he'd be etcheverry's "mini-me". he's already got the diving and whining aspect of the package down pat.

12. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I seem to remember Heaps going forehead to forehead with someone from Chicago (Stoichkoff sp?) in the last series... that is a bad habit since it lends itself to the inevitable flop by a savvy player... I wonder if Garcia saw Heaps do that???

rand

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't even the first time on Wednesday that Heaps went forehead-to-forehead with Garcia.

Are those of you claiming that Heaps shouldn't have been punished if he didn't connect on his headbutt willing to say the same if he had thrown a haymaker and missed? It's the same thing.

Besides - there was blood on Garcia. He may have embellished the severity of the contact, but there is no doubt that he was bleeding - the referee even checked that the bleeding had stopped when he reentered the field. Contact was made.

14. swims

swims Member

So is MLS' real problem embellishment, or violent conduct?

I'll put my vote in for violent conduct.

Garcia embellished the contact, but no one twisted Heaps arm and forced him to head-butt Freddy to begin with. And for what it's worth, witnesses in the stands but near the incident saw a slight amount of blood on Garcia after the contact. I doubt he runs around with ketchup packets taped to his scalp just for these occasions.

Also, I stated in the earlier series after the Razov foul that MLS needs to clamp down on violent behavior, and I repeat that assertion now. If a Crew player had head-butted or stomped on an opposing player my story would be the same. In fact I would probably be screaming about how the Crew needed to dump said player, rather than speculating upon how that player could have gotten away with intending to injure an opponent with a slightly different body posture.

Razov needs a severe reprimand, as does Heaps. Neither foul can be attributed to anything other than intent to injure. This kind of aggressive behavior will ruin careers and harm the league's reputation (such as it is).

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I didn't see any posts that said that Heaps shouldn't get punished if he missed Garcia. I didn't even see any posts that said no contact was made. Who are you refereing to?

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    did i miss a crew player head-but twellman? No. Okay.

17. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    no, but the ref missed a solid whack by Dunseth on the back of Twellman's knee while he was on the ground

and Heaps got what he deserved and I certainly hope he learns from it

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This - tho I've seen other stuff in other threads:

Perhaps I misinterpreted, but I don't think so.

I'm not sure where all this kick talk re: Dunseth's foul on TnT is coming from. What I saw was a clear foul by Dunseth when he clattered into the back of TnT when Twellman was coming back to receive a ball (but he wasn't standing still, nor was it some kind of vicious slide tackle). The injury came when he fell into another Rev.

There are a myriad of calls in that game that went against the Crew that I felt were incorrect... some horrendously so. I can list 'em if you want.

19. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    I can hardly control the anticipation bubbling up in my loins

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying, there's an awful lot of hystrionics around here for a team that's been treated no worse by the officials than, say, the Crew. Certainly none of your red cards were questionable decisions, IMO.

21. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Go watch a high school basketball game and wait for your USDA subsidy.

Is Garcia out injured? No. Okay.

22. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I'd say that there have been a lot more posts (and posters) stating that Heaps should have been tossed than posts saying he shouldn't have gotten a red. The same holds true with Kante's and Llamosa's ejections. Did you happen to see the posts all over the Burn, Metro, MLS, and referee forums after Mathis, Howard, and Suarez got the reds near the end of the season? If you'd seen the Fire boards after we beat them, you'd have seen almost as many posters who were GLAD Rasov stomped on Heaps as Rev fans who think Jay got a raw deal.

23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Foosinho, you are obviously a knowledgeable guy, but I believe in this respect you are mistaken. Please check the tape. I'm not going to repeat my rant from another thread, but you are describing only the first Dunseth foul, and not the one that injured Twellman's knee. There was no other Rev player involved.

24. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Hey, nothing personal to the Crew fans and the rest. I'm in rage mode right now and I'm coming in with studs up in all posts. It's been a while and it feels good.

Heaps deserved to be sent off. It was stupid of him. But I was mifffed because seconds before Twellman was held, nothing was said, and then the Garcia thing.

And then to cap it off, the league MVP gets clattered and the ref stands there as if he were in the front row of a movie theater.

Garcia is a baby, an actor and a punk. And Heaps, who I had come to appreciate and value, is an idiot.

But Taylor will be avenged.

25. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    I don't agree with revenge fouls but I do agree that Dunseth has a large target in the middle of his back right now but I hope all the Revs are smart enough to hold off doing anything stupid today. The last thing we need is to have another player out next week if were fortunate enough to get through today. The Dunseth matter can wait till next year. He knows it's coming. Let him sweat it over the winter.