Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Purdy close. Just a tad dryer sans bears.

2. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #402 usscouse, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Anyone watch "The Night Manager" this week?

I recorded it but hadn't got around to watching until this morning.... at 2am, I found myself wide awake. So, made a cup of hot chocolate and turned it on.

It was quite good. I like the cast and the pace of the show. Tom Hiddleston is very good in the title roll. Now I'm looking forward to the next 5 episodes.
    image.jpg

3. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I liked the first episode. Not sure how they're going to jump across to the next 5 which seemed to involve planting Pine in Roper's entourage, but it seems like it will be enjoyable to watch.

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Episode 2 last night as Pine tries to work his way into Ropers gang. It was a bit contrived and causes suspicion. So we'll see where it goes when Roper comes back to see him.
    Good sets and scenery.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Really enjoying this, the Night Manager. Episode 4 last night, 2 left to go.
    Sure, some scenarios test the "suspended disbelief" but it moves along nicely.

6. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #406 Cazlon, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Late reply, but I agree that The Night Manager is a great show. Really enjoyed every minute of it. Too bad there are only six episodes, but better a stringent and tightly packaged story than the frequent bad guy of the week filler episodes I guess.

On an unrelated note: I wish the Chinese "All Men are Brothers" show based on the Water Margin novel would be available in an English version. We only have the 1970s Japanese show which kinda works for characters like Lin Chong, but not the more complex ones like Shi Jin. There seems to be a Bluy-Ray-Box with English subtitles, but it comes at more than 200 bucks and the subs are of dubious quality according to some comments.

The core of Star Trek was always a utopian vision, scientific and societal progress ( eventually, anyway ).

Just doesn't fit with the Zeitgeist and I don't exactly have high hopes for the new show.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, but the zeitgeist isn't just mirrored by the media - it is also created by the media. There isn't an absolute reason some utopian, enlightenment vision couldn't be accepted these days.

8. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yea i gues, but the owners of the rights don't seem to want to go down that path, if Enterprise and JJ-Trek are any indication.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed odd to do a parody of Lost so long after the premiere (12 years) and the finale (6 years), but the first two episodes of Wrecked on TBS were pretty darn funny.

sitruc repped this.
  10. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So we are a bit into the newest incarnation of Top Gear. The first episode wasn't good - it felt like they were trying way too hard except LeBlanc who was barely there. The second and third were a lot better as the hosts got more loose and natural.

I don't like the high level of audience participation. It doesn't seem "British". And what's up with Chris Evans always wearing short shirts so we see his belly when he raises his arms?

The filming is a bit more old school - not so many effect and artsy shots. The music is a lot less interesting. They seem to have spent their money on travel instead of computers and song licenses. Three hosts were better than two plus constant guest stars, although I like seeing more Sabine Schmitz. Maybe we'll get used to it.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i gave it an honest watch, but i couldn't make it through the first episode. that chris evans guy was exceedingly annoying with his constant screaming and his fake excitement. also, i can never not focus on how dumb people look when they wear those awful, thick, black frames on their glasses. i don't understand why people want to do that to their faces.

12. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Try the second episode. Evans is still Evans (I don't mind his antics), but the rest of it is much better, especially the South African challenge (spare a shockingly sad moment about the betrayal of aging).

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jean-Claude Van Damme is going to star in an Amazon TV series called Jean-Claude Van Johnson. I look forward to the depression I will endure because I can neither afford Amazon Prime nor a VPN to Napster it.

Belgian guy repped this.
  14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    pm me. I will email you my Amazon prime password just so you review it.

Ismitje, spejic and Belgian guy repped this.
  15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MTV launching "classic" channel.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mtv-launches-classic-channel-dedicated-to-1990s-w431416
    MTV debuted 35 years (?!) ago on that date.

I feel ancient now ...

16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  17. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For Rick & Morty fans: [adult swim] has released their ComicCon video with the Rick & Morty characters re-enacting the State of Georgia Vs. Denver Fenton trial transcript. As this is a record from a serious government institution, it is completely safe for work and I strongly recommend you play it there on high volume for everyone to enjoy.

Dr.Phil and Belgian guy repped this.
  18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Larry Wilmore's 'The Nightly Show' Canceled By Comedy Central - CNN
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/15/media/larry-wilmore-nightly-show-canceled/

19. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    So any good fall debuts yet?

Here's what I've seen thus far:

1. MacGyver (CBS) - It will die a pretty quick death on Friday nights. I might give episode 2 a watch for laughs.
    2. Falling Water (USA) - This isn't in the same class as Mr. Robot, but there are similarities in the presentation. There is a lack of good Sci Fi paranormal shows and I'm hoping this one will fit the bill. The first episode didn't hook me so hopefully they go somewhere, and fast within the next two episodes.
    3. Designated Survivor (ABC) - I like the concept but hate most of the casting in this. It's doable for at least another episode or two.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Exorcist was actually pretty good.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We quite enjoyed the first three episodes of The Good Place. Kristin Bell and William Jackson Harper are well matched, and Ted Danson is just right as the designer/overseer of the . . . neighborhood.

Impressive diversity in the cast, too.

22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    That sounds interesting. Anything like Dead Like Me?

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife *loved* that show (I never watched more than snippets just because of general business). She went into The Good Place hoping for some of the vibe from Dead Like Me but found it to be almost wholly different, but still really good. The awareness of your life is the same but the interaction with the living is not.

24. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have Netflix, Amazon prime I buy tv shows on the local networks because I hate commercials.

But why am I paying 250 a month for cablevision triple play. It is not A utility like electric or gas?

Then you see Verizon triple play for 70 dollars a month. Then you call them they say your tv is not wired yet.

I had Verizon fios for two months 9 years ago with a promise they were doing the tv back then. They never did it 9 yrs ago they said it will be done within a month.

Then they say get the satellite to go with us you will save a lot of money.

They gave that line of crap to my daughter who just moved to jersey. It's been over a month and nothing has been done as yet.

Verizon fios go out of business and they want your cell phone business as well lying bastards.

I had to vent sorry.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We caught the early preview of People of Earth and quite enjoyed it. There's the right tone of affection and gentle teasing of the humans, and the main aliens are remarkably . . . human in their interactions one with another. It officially premieres on TBS on Monday, though TBS kindly uploaded the first episode to YouTube:

Dr. Wankler repped this.