Soccer, CTE and football

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by SeminoleTom, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit. Prove it. The player uses his/her neck muscles to put all the momentum into the ball through the forehead. The head continues its motion and the player is in control at all times. The brain does not slosh around in the skull from the body suddenly going from a full sprint to a dead stop. I've been heading the ball for 30 years and I've never had problems from it. I have had pain from elbows, though.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    We should ban headers now in all U.S. levels and then we'll have a competitive advantage when world soccer as a whole catches up in a few decades.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  3. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's definitely a concern troll

4. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you read the articles posted in the link? The one I posted yesterday the doctor basically said heading the ball is the equivalent to getting tackled. It makes sense— think about it. Bennett Omalu, who grew up as a soccer fan in Nigeria, discovered CTE, says heading should be removed from the game.

Now, I will say that perhaps heading in soccer and tackling in football does not cause the tau protein deposits (cause of CTE) to everyone at the same rate. Maybe some will never get it. Genetics must play a large part of it as well.

However, it is the equivalent of the NFL saying football doesn’t cause CTE 10 years ago for current day deniers from FIFA. It will not end well for FIFA.

My thing is I want soccer fans to be educated on this topic. Not some meat header that denies or looks the other way. Soccer can be saved...

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, it is upon you to provide links showing that heading a soccer ball does not cause issues. There are more than enough links in this thread from actual scientific studies that identify heading as an issue. Afraid your anecdotal evidence doesn’t mean crap.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  6. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are the legions of CTE-suffering retired soccer players?

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Umm...

Cavan9 repped this.
  8. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever heard that you can't prove a negative?

9. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the issue isn't a player heading the ball on their own, the issue is the inevitable collisions that come from two players trying to head the same ball. I am not sure I agree with the calls to end heading but if their is a case for it. it's around reducing head to head collisions.

Has their been any research on soft rugby style "scrum caps" success in preventing concussions? They would look weird and the players would hate them but they might be the most effective way to limit head injuries since not all head injuries come from players trying to head the ball, and would have a less dramatic impact on how the game is played.

Cavan9 repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    An innovation from Rugby could be allowing temporary subs for head injury assessments (10 minutes minimum). Doctors watching video of head clashes make the decision jointly with the referee.

owian repped this.
  11. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have thought this would be a good option for a while. One issue is soccer has a different culture around, shall we say, bending the rules than rugby does. There will automatically be coaches and players trying to figure out how to abuse the rule. But I say introduce it and thing figure those things out later.

Timon19 and Cavan9 repped this.
  12. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This... makes sense.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually not true. It would certainly be difficult because they would have to control for heading over a protracted period of time, but it is possible to make comparisons between two groups and see if there are increased rates of head injuries and/or cognitive impacts. If there is no statistical difference between the groups, then it is likely that heading is not an issue.

Unfortunately for you, there are a number of scientific studies (links are already in the thread, so go crazy and look at them) that list heading is one of causes of the issues that are showing up with soccer players. Seriously, most of the ones I've seen have listed heading as an issue and it is based on these studies that USSF banned heading for kids...

Unlike American football, CTE hasn't become a "scandal" in soccer yet. FIFA and the various confederations are basically ignoring brain injuries in general, I'm not sure why you'd think that CTE would become a thing. With American football the big change came after the study identified CTE in players and then families started donating players' brains for study. Once the brains were being donated in decent numbers, scientists were able to piece together just how pervasive it is among American football players.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's not about proving the negative, it's about proving beyond mere correlation the assertion put forth. I don't think there's nearly enough information yet.

Cavan9 repped this.
  15. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right there needs to be more research.... and its coming. Read my post around last Nov. There is an ongoing major project occurring now. Its coming and it won't be good. Read the links in this thread. Its common sense... think about it. Lets hit the ball with our head. What part of that is benign?

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Breathless predictions tend to not pan out so well.

This isn't persuasive. This is usually the refuge of a charlatan.

That's not an argument. It's a plea. And it's not a good one.

bigredfutbol and Cavan9 repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players of Geoff Astle's generation had to play with a ball that turned into a brick in wet weather. I know because I played with them when I was a kid.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's much, much less of a problem these days. Now it's more a lack of instruction/technique. You can tell which adults took up the game later in life, and which adults had shitty instruction as kids.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article from New Zealand:
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12096442

"Head injuries and concussion in football are grey areas. From New Zealand's domestic grassroots leagues to the FIFA World Cup; there are issues. But who is prepared to take a lead tackling football's ugly little secret? And what do FIFA and New Zealand Football plan to do to address the problems?"

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Maybe they should ask their far more popular brother, Rugby Union, what they are doing about their significantly more huge problem that hardly anyone seems to be kvetching about.

21. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then Rugby Union would respond that they have a concussion protocol that can be initiated by the referee on the field and includes substitutions for players while they are undergoing the examination. Rugby Union has also changed rules and consequences for high and dangerous tackles.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yes. I suggested a similar thing to the HIA a few posts up.

The thing with RU is that they still have tons of guys getting "head binned" pretty regularly, but no one seems alarmed. I watch about 70% of all Super Rugby fixtures. Guys are visibly staggered at least twice a game, and some games there are 6 or 7 HIAs.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whataboutism is weak and you should be ashamed for using it. Rugby Union’s and grid iron’s issues with head injuries have no bearing on whether soccer has issues with it and your attempt to deflect the discussion does nothing but discredit you.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You should be ashamed of using the term "whataboutism".

It was the New Zealand factor and ONLY the New Zealand factor that prompted my post, Mr. Precipitous Namecalling. New Zealand has a tremendously popular sport (far more popular than soccer) that already addresses concussive and sub-concussive head impacts. Their football federation would do well to listen to it. I suggested EXACTLY this sort of thing within easy viewing reach on this very page of this very thread.

Now, my ancillary point of no-one in RU proclaiming emergency and running around having kittens is just that: an ancillary point that has some interesting points of comparison and contrast to our own situation here.

But you'd rather just play the gotcha game. Because of course you would.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you don’t remember your post?

It wasn’t until @owian called you on your shit that you backtracked. So.. yes, do better.